Setting: Government, Lord's Council, Founding Families

garyh

First Post
I like that idea, BenBrown. In fact, the quest to reclaim lost lands for a "lord" could make a good adventure.

Tenchuu

First Post
So, if I could summarize, I think we have the following:
- There are a small number of founding families; these were lords of great power in Allaria, who together agreed and began the mass exodus after the fall of the Allarian empire.
- The Lords Council consists of The founding families, the heads of the temples, and all other minor Lords.
- The Lords Council is the ruling body of Daunton, with the Mayor appointed by and subservient to them.
- The Lords Council must confirm others to be accepted as Lords of Daunton. These often consist of old Allarian noble families that maintain their titles despite the fact that the lands they once ruled have fallen to ruin, but they also can be lower born men/women who have been fiercely loyal to a founding family and so rewarded with title.

All this sound good?

covaithe

Explorer
That all sounds good.

I kind of picture the Mayor as being like a prime minister: he is the leader of a coalition in the council. As long as he can keep that coalition intact, he has broad powers to run Daunton on a day-to-day basis. The Lords can replace him or overrule him, but they gather too infrequently to run the city directly themselves. Of course, keeping his coalition happy is a difficult balancing act at the best of times...

Truman North

First Post
Delightful ideas, everyone. Now, I have a few questions for those of you who are sorting these things out along the same lines:

Is there a powerful criminal syndicate in town? Is it like the mafia? Does it provide social services or just control crime?

Are any of the particular heads of powerful temples named? If so, are they in the wiki?

How does the town guard work? Are the police one body, or are there varying levels of authority, similar to the town police versus the state police versus the FBI? Who controls the town guard? Are the members of the town guard also members of the army, or is this not necessariuly the case?

Is there a "stock exchange" for lack of a better word where people can invest money and powerful monied interests can interact?

covaithe

Explorer
Disclaimer: answers refer only to my knowledge of events, which is anything hardly complete. I've missed a lot of happenings in more recent adventures.

Is there a powerful criminal syndicate in town? Is it like the mafia? Does it provide social services or just control crime?

Mmm, not really. Early on in L4W, we avoided creating a single powerful criminal organization, preferring instead to let individual DMs come up with gangs on the fly as needed. So there have been a number of separate criminal gangs in Daunton, of varying "power levels", at various times. One assumes that the gangs that have appeared in adventures are just the tip of the iceberg; there are many more where they came from. I have the impression that in Daunton, crime is generally pretty well controlled by the city guard, and when it gets out of control they call for the adventurers. So it's pretty safe most of the time, with the possible exception of the poorer areas.

In Bacarte, the criminal element is a bit closer to the surface, and the consortium of merchants that "rules" there could certainly be described as a criminal syndicate -- except for the fact that they're the ones who make what few laws there are.

Outside of the Near Isles, it's pretty much DM's prerogative. If you want to run an adventure with a powerful, controlling crime syndicate, we can probably find (or create) you a place to do it.

Are any of the particular heads of powerful temples named? If so, are they in the wiki?

Belingras Erigard is the leader of Lauto's temple in Daunton. I'm not aware of any of the other temple leadership having been named, but I may well have missed it.

How does the town guard work? Are the police one body, or are there varying levels of authority, similar to the town police versus the state police versus the FBI? Who controls the town guard? Are the members of the town guard also members of the army, or is this not necessariuly the case?

I'm not aware of any established divisions in Daunton's guards; they seem to be monolithic as far as I can recall. Ultimately they answer (I think) to the mayor, Gunter Brunt, and through him to the rest of the government. To my knowledge, I don't think Daunton has a standing army to speak of, outside of the guards. Daunton is more about defense and survival, particularly against monsters, than conquest. The Imperium probably has the closest thing to a professional army in the Near Isles. Outside the Near Isles of course, there are plenty of kingdoms and empires with armies: Jade and Hzaka come to mind.

The Guards tend to get used by DMs as stock / throwaway NPCs, so I don't think we've defined them in much detail.

Is there a "stock exchange" for lack of a better word where people can invest money and powerful monied interests can interact?

I don't think there's a specific place established as a center of that kind of activity (to my knowledge, of course). Finance in the Near Isles probably isn't quite as advanced as it is here; I doubt there are such things as publicly traded stock corporations. I imagine that partnerships or privately held (family) corporations are about as far as it goes, in that respect. But, hey, what do I know. I think most wealth tends to be concentrated in noble families, and they invest most of it in things like trade expeditions, merchant ships, and such.

If you need a physical location where a lot of financial transactions are taking place, I might suggest Lauto's temple. His portfolio includes trade and commerce, and his temples are known to give loans. I imagine they'd be the place to go for contract notarization, arbitration and such. All for a small fee, of course.

Tenchuu

First Post
There is more than one lord, and these lords meet in council, so I think I should call it: the Lords' Council. Any objections?

Interestingly, I was google searching both variations to try and support my decision, and when looking for "The Lord's Council", this thread is #10. Awesome.

covaithe

Explorer
I'm sure that even if there's a long-winded official name for it lurking around somewhere (which I can't remember if there is or not), some people would call it the Lords' Council anyway. Seems clear enough.

Remove ads