• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Setting: Pathfinder's Golarion

Sutekh

First Post
Forgive me if there was already a thread on the setting already, but I noticed most of the other threads appeared to be purely about mechanics or players views on classes. Thats all fine, but as a player and DM Ive always been far more interested in settings than mechanics.

Having just read through the Campaign setting book, Ive come to a few conclusions:

* They really tried to give a good variation of nation states: from Realms ruled by a Ghost (Geb) to strange anarchistic States (Galt)

* That there is enough variation that you may not get characters coming in from far off lands that havnt been detailed

* Alkenstar sounds very interesting. How well do Guns work within Pathfinder?

Does anyone else have any views on Golarion? What are other things to look for?

delericho

Legend
* Alkenstar sounds very interesting. How well do Guns work within Pathfinder?

As far as I know, there aren't actually any 'official' rules for gunpowder weapons in Pathfinder as yet. Presumably, the advice is to just use whatever set of OGL rules you prefer. As such, I find they work pretty well - essentially, my firearms work much like crossbows, but doing a bit more damage and having a much longer reload time. (I don't bother with details such as misfire rates and the like.) The effect is that the everyone generally fires once, and then enters melee, which feels about right.

Does anyone else have any views on Golarion? What are other things to look for?

I really like Golarion. Indeed, it has now become my 'default' setting for when I want to run D&D/Pathfinder, but don't otherwise have a particular setting in mind.

I'm the same way; while I couldn't refuse the pdf price of $10/each for the book and the Bestiary (the art alone is worth that!) honestly I'm probably just going to continue playing 3.5 with a handful of houserules. I may steal a houserule or two from Pathfinder, but I won't completely convert.

I've been a big fan of the setting, though. It's odd: it's not the kind of setting that I normally prefer. It is really "classic" D&D, and while in general I thought that I was tired of classic D&D, I find that Golarion somehow manages to make it all feel fresh and interesting all over again. I haven't run a game there yet, but I've stolen a few memes from Pathfinder nonetheless:

1) a kingdom of talking gorillas living deep in the jungles

2) a kingdom with a state-sponsored fiend-worshipping religion

I've also been partial to the eugenics kingdom as an interesting idea.

qstor

Adventurer
I like it a lot, in that there is something for everyone. From Asian settings to a Ravenloft horror area.

Mike

mxyzplk

Explorer
As far as I know, there aren't actually any 'official' rules for gunpowder weapons in Pathfinder as yet. Presumably, the advice is to just use whatever set of OGL rules you prefer. As such, I find they work pretty well - essentially, my firearms work much like crossbows, but doing a bit more damage and having a much longer reload time. (I don't bother with details such as misfire rates and the like.) The effect is that the everyone generally fires once, and then enters melee, which feels about right..

Well, there are firearm rules specifically printed in the Campaign Setting. Technically they're from the 3.5 era and not Pathfinder RPG though that's a fine hair to split. They're also not real good - I also came up with my own Firearms for Pathfinder rules. Firearms for Pathfinder « Geek Related

To the main point, though, Golarion rocks, and our campaigns are all set there now.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
I read the wiki, and I have to say Golarion feels very savage, but manages that while being dark and not cruel. Everywhere there's something that can go wrong, something to provoke the "fight or flight" response, but unlike some other settings Golarion doesn't feel like it wants you to hate it. It's savagery is instinctive, "law of the jungle" type rather than deliberate cruelty.

I read the Pathfinder Campaign book and was rather meh in the end. Its just a Faerun of a different color. Lets throw together a huge conglomeration of nations, empire, and kingdoms, that are name changed historical copies.

Look there are the Vikings, there is the Byzantine Empire, look its India and a Caliphate, over here we have ancient Egypt.

Dont get me wrong, there are a some interesting and more unique ideas. The totalitarian regime of the Gold Dragon is different. I also like the Boba Yoga realm. They are new ideas and I like them.

Now I should caveat this. My preference is Ravensloft. I like gothic horror and like that feel. Sure it is a mishmash of cultures but there is a logic and reason to the mishmash. I also like the tone.

mxyzplk

Explorer
the only problem with the setting is that there seems to be a low number of good-aligned states

To many that's a feature, not a problem. It's a lot like Earth during the Renaissance... When there were zero "good aligned states." There are a lot of states that think they are, but others would beg to differ.

I'm not sure where the D&D fascination with having "good" and "evil" states comes from - not from most good fantasy novels, or most anime, or most... Anything else. It's a simplistic view that only the most trivial of fictions adhere to.

Remove ads