• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Setting up a Dragonlance Campaign.

aramis erak

Legend
I must have not explained what I meant well. The issue isn't a mechanical one; that's easy. The issue is a narrative/player one. Who wants to create an awesome barbarian only to have to turn it into a cleric? If they wanted to play a cleric, they wouldn't have created a barbarian! So the only real solution is for the player to know in advance what's going to happen and be on board with the idea from the outset.

In a typical 5 player group, there's usually at least one player not happy with their character by level 4...

Kristivas

First Post
There were no Drow in Krynn, that I've ever heard of. Dalamar (and other evil elves) were called Dark Elves, but they weren't black-skinned, underdark dwellers.

That is, if my 10+ year old knowledge of DL is correct..

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
I got it from this page, here's the whole text from the portion.

The following excerpt is from page 49 of the Dragonlance Adventures book.

The following races are common in DRAGONLANCE | saga and are described in either this book (DL Adv.) or in the Player's Handbook (PH).
Human PH
Kender DL Adw
Gnomes
Mad PH
Tinker Gnomes DL Adv.
Elves
Dark PH
Qualinesti DL Adv.
Silvanesti DL Adv.
Kagonesti DL Adv.
Dimemesti DL Adv.
Half elves PH
Dwarves
Fatherless? PH
Hill Dwarves DL Adw
Mountain Dwarves DL Adv.
Gully Dwarves DL Adv.
Irda DL Adv.
Minotauts DL Adv.
Those entries in italics are common to worlds other than Krynn, but have special clarifications in this book when they are encountered in Krynn. There are no halflings or half-orcs in Krynn. Halflings who enter this world are considered kender and gain the special abilities (and obnoxious personalities) of kender in this world. Half-orcs would be considered magical freaks or aberrations as there are no orcs in Krynn

Last edited:

agentc13

First Post
Dark Elves in Dragonlance are just normal elves who are exiled. Usually for doing something evil (being a black robe like Dalamar), but not necessarily a truly evil act just one that makes you an exile/outcast.

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
I noticed that reading further into it, I feel like a dunce.

I'll start editing what I have set up for the game so far in the first post. Magics the only thing that I'm unsure of, I have the magics each of the three Wizards can use. I'll just have to fix the spell lists themselves I think.

Lord Blackstone

First Post
I am hoping to see an Adventurer's Guide to Dragonlance by Margaret Weis Productions next year. There is a lot of classes and races that would fill a volume up pretty quickly. Put it together with a new novel and adventure and I would be one happy camper.

As of right now, I am making Wizards of High Sorcery and Knights of Solamnia completely fluff based organizations. I want to keep it as simple as possible. With the DMG coming out soon, I am going to hold off a bit with Race creation. We might get lucky and get a few DL races ready for use.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
For PC races in a DL game I'd go with:
Humans
Half-elves
Qualinesti Elves only. Kagonesti if you really want the "high v. wood elf" thing. Save the Silvanesti and aquatic elves for npcs. And, correct, there are no drow (thanks gods).
Hill or Mountain Dwarves only. Gully dwarves are cutesy and, yes, canonical and iconical DL, but they are so stupid as to make a viable PC nearly impossible.
Kender. Of course.
Tinker Gnomes only. I don't know/remember anything about "Mad" gnomes, but they, similarly, don't sound like "good for PC" material.
Minotaurs. I guess ya gotta.

...if you're doing a 5e conversion and really want to have "5e elements" in it, I could see reskinning Dragonborn as metallic half-dragons. Draconians are mentioned in the PHB, but they are, decidedly evil -and not necessarily free-willed- creatures. So for a PC DL Dragonborn, I'd go with metallic half-dragons.

Classes:
Barbarians: I would require these to be human warriors from the "barbarian tribesmen" of Riverwind and Goldmoon.
Clerics.
Druids. I don't really know anything about them in Krynn, but I don't see the harm in having them.
Fighters.
Mages (wizards): Mages of High Sorcery: White, Red or Black robed. I wouldn't even deal with renegade mages for PCs...to start. If one becomes one through play, that's an avenue to explore in game. But have them start immersed in the world.
Monks: I don't recall whom, but there was a deity of Krynn that had monasteries of monks...I want to say the a copper mantis was the holy symbol...It has been, for my as well, a VERY long time since reading the Chronicles and Legends trilogies.
Paladins: with clerics coming into the game, paladins can be right there too and/or you can fluff certain Knights of Solomnia as paladins in the "cause/honor/ideals" sense rather than the actual gods/spellcasting sense.
Rangers.
Rogues.

Mages
White Robes: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Transmutation.
Red Robes: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion.
Black Robes: Abjuraton, Conjuration, Divination, Evocation, Transmutation, Necromancy.

Last edited:

Lord Blackstone

First Post
I read somewhere that and for the love of god I cannot remember where, but Dragonborn could be the result of Draconians mating. There hometown could be in Tyer, the Draconian home.

pkt77242

Explorer
For PC races in a DL game I'd go with:
Humans
Half-elves
Qualinesti Elves only. Kagonesti if you really want the "high v. wood elf" thing. Save the Silvanesti and aquatic elves for npcs. And, correct, there are no drow (thanks gods).
Hill or Mountain Dwarves only. Gully dwarves are cutesy and, yes, canonical and iconical DL, but they are so stupid as to make a viable PC nearly impossible.
Kender. Of course.
Tinker Gnomes only. I don't know/remember anything about "Mad" gnomes, but they, similarly, don't sound like "good for PC" material.
Minotaurs. I guess ya gotta.

...if you're doing a 5e conversion and really want to have "5e elements" in it, I could see reskinning Dragonborn as metallic half-dragons. Draconians are mentioned in the PHB, but they are, decidedly evil -and not necessarily free-willed- creatures. So for a PC DL Dragonborn, I'd go with metallic half-dragons.

Classes:
Barbarians: I would require these to be human warriors from the "barbarian tribesmen" of Riverwind and Goldmoon.
Clerics.
Druids. I don't really know anything about them in Krynn, but I don't see the harm in having them.
Fighters.
Mages (wizards): Mages of High Sorcery: White, Red or Black robed. I wouldn't even deal with renegade mages for PCs...to start. If one becomes one through play, that's an avenue to explore in game. But have them start immersed in the world.
Monks: I don't recall whom, but there was a deity of Krynn that had monasteries of monks...I want to say the a copper mantis was the holy symbol...It has been, for my as well, a VERY long time since reading the Chronicles and Legends trilogies.
Paladins: with clerics coming into the game, paladins can be right there too and/or you can fluff certain Knights of Solomnia as paladins in the "cause/honor/ideals" sense rather than the actual gods/spellcasting sense.
Rangers.
Rogues.

Mages
White Robes: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Transmutation.
Red Robes: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion.
Black Robes: Abjuraton, Conjuration, Divination, Evocation, Transmutation, Necromancy.

Majere.

Remove ads