• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Setting up a network with two wireless routers

Blue Sky

Explorer
Is it possible to use a wireless router (namely, the BEFW11S4) to connect to another wireless network, without using a wireless card?

I bought a wireless router that has 4 Lan ports on the back, and then found out that my roommate already has a router. The quick answer is just to buy a wireless card, but I need to know if I can just use the router.

Thanks for any help.

SteelDraco

First Post
No, wireless routers aren't set up to send any data through the wireless connections. They input wireless data through the antenna, and output it through their physical ports (usually to a modem).

DethStryke

Explorer
You're looking to use it as a Wireless Access Point (sometimes called a Bridge device).

I use of of those to hook my console games to my wireless network. You configure and connect the wireless through the device, then plug right into the WAP and you're good to go.

Some routers have the ability to use them as an Access Point (it will be under a section usually called "Infrastructure"). I do not believe the model you listed is one of those, though. :(

Blue Sky

Explorer
Yeah, it doesn't look like my router can do it. However, through some judicious use of a box knife and some duct tape, I got it running. But thanks to both of you for your help.

Remove ads