Setting up an encounter based on an illustration?

Aeolius

Adventurer
It's a sculpture and not an illustration, but this inspired the creation of the BBEG in my current game:
DB51037-NIGHTMARE-WALL-SCULPTURE-700.jpg

Stormonu

Legend
My first published adventure ("The Winter Tapestry") was inspired by a white privacy curtain hanging in the WotC game headquarters in Seattle. Does that count?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Aw shucks! You say the nicest things. :D

(More geomorphs in this style will be coming as soon as regain access to my drawing tablet)

Nuthin' but the truth, man. Your whole blog is pretty great. And I say that as somebody who doesn't read any blogs!...except yours and sometimes Professor Pope's. Every time I visit I think, "Why am I not reading this daily?"

NewJeffCT

First Post
Have you ever set up/designed an encounter for a game based on an illustration that you particularly liked?

Did the encounter turn out like the illustration made you imagine? Or did the PCs do something completely different?

How about illustrations for an encounter in a published adventure? Is there a particular module encounter with an accompanying image, (not a tactical map-type image), that turned out completely different than shown in the illustration?

If you can, show the illustration in this thread.

Bullgrit

I've been trying to get to an encounter based on this picture...but have never quite been able to do it:

200px-Succubus_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29.jpg

However, I have used cool pictures in the past and built encounters around them. Just drawing a blank on which ones right now. (If I think of some after I finish my coffee, I'll repost)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Have you ever set up/designed an encounter for a game based on an illustration that you particularly liked?

Yep...also on video game screens, sculptures, and other forms of visual art. Its one of the reasons my M:tG (and other CCG) cards are kept close at hand in my game space. Its also why I have a nearly complete collection of Everway cards.

Did the encounter turn out like the illustration made you imagine? Or did the PCs do something completely different?

Some did, some didn't.

How about illustrations for an encounter in a published adventure? Is there a particular module encounter with an accompanying image, (not a tactical map-type image), that turned out completely different than shown in the illustration?

Nothing springs to mind.

malcolypse

First Post
A whole campaign.

I found a picture while wandering the internet a year or so ago (which I have sadly lost track of and desperately want to find again)of a group of adventurers standing along a cliff face. They are accompanied by two or three animated scarecrows that are dressed similarly and are riddled with arrows.

I decided that I need to run a sword and sorcery game based on Oz, where the party were an elite group that worked for the Scarecrow, now Emperor of Oz, who went around making sure that order was maintained.

The plot in my head evolved over time so that they would be out on an assignment in the first adventure, when they were informed that the Emerald City had been overrun and the Scarecrow was missing. The game would have been about finding out who the bad guys were, finding Scarecrow, and restoring him to his throne.

Remove ads