• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Settlement Maps (updated - abandoned house map)

Kris

Adventurer
Hello again :D

I haven't had much to do this weekend - so rather that sit about doing nothing, I thought I'd attempt another map :)

So this time here's a small thorp - nothing special, just a cluster of buildings around a road junction (it's around 650KB)...

http://www.enworld.org/CrookedStaffProductions/bradmor.pdf

Anyway... I hope you like it (and I hope it turns out to be of some use to someone).

Kris

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments.

I like the maps a lot, but love the parchement, how did you do that?

I only recently discovered how to get a basic parchment effect (in a surprisingly short space of time) by reading a thread on these very boards - started by HellHound... here's the link...

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=132477

I've changed little things here and there to try and obtain my own 'look' - but the basic concept is still pretty much as described in the above thread (so I can't take much credit for that).

I hope that helps. :D

Turanil

First Post
Excellent work! Thanks for sharing. The PDFs are really cool to use whenever the PCs would stop in a small village along the road.

Nellisir

Hero
Really nice work! My thoughts - keep in mind I can't do any of what you're doing, these are just my impressions:
- I'd like to see some of the trees be a bit larger - at least equal to the width of the houses;
- the green fields might be lightened a touch - maybe it's my settings, but the yellow rooftops are much brighter and really pop out too much;
- some of the roads should be narrower (footpaths) or green down the center (this occurred to me looking at the single farmstead map);
- stone walls or wooden fences to divide fields and fields from pastures, not just enclose a paddock;
- curve fields around hills & such, highlight the terrain (not all fields need be rectangular).

Great work!
Nell.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Nellisir said:
- stone walls or wooden fences to divide fields and fields from pastures, not just enclose a paddock;
- curve fields around hills & such, highlight the terrain (not all fields need be rectangular).

I was thinking the same thing. If the ground is at all rocky then there are going to be stone wall dividing the fields, not because farmers really liked building walls but because they needed someplace to put the stones kicked up by the plow and stacking them all in a wall was the easiest thing to do. This will vary by region of course. My grandparent's farm in eastern NC didn't have anything like this because the light, sandy soils there didn't have all that many stones it it. But in New England I think most farms were like that as were the ones in England.

In northern France the hedgerows between fields were so massive that they held up the allied invasion in WWII for WEEKS longer than anticipated because each hedgerow was a fortification unto itself. I've often thought that having a big battle set amongst that kind of terrain would be interesting.

That said, I love your maps and I think they are some of the best I've seen anywhere. I also admire your willingness to incorporate the suggestions of others. Keep up the excellent work.

Remove ads