• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Several Swordmage Subjects That Need Answering

Ravingdork

Explorer
I have an epic swordmage halfling (multiclassed into wizard) that wields a vorpal scimitar and has the Weapon Focus (heavy blades) feat.

When, exactly, does he benefit from the damage bonus from Weapon Focus? :confused:

Does it apply only on swordmage powers with the weapon keyword? How about powers using the heavy blade as an implement? After all, I'm still using the weapon to make an attack.

What about those powers that deal weapon damage AND static damage such as Hell's Own Blade? :confused:

[sblock=My personal interpretation so far]
As far as I can tell, you would apply the damage whenever you make a #[w] attack with the weapon, regardless of what keywords the power in question uses. After all, Weapon Focus make no mention of keywords and the Keyword rules make no mention of Weapon Focus.

Anyone care to agree or disagree with this interpretation? :)
[/sblock]

***​

Also, I use my sword as an implement to cast a spell. Yay! I got a critical hit on the enemy! Do I now get 6d12 extra damage? Or does that particular quality of Vorpal only work when using it as a weapon and not an implement? If not, what bonus crit damage do I get? :confused:

If I roll the maximum number on my damage die, with an implement spell, can I reroll as per the Vorpal quality? Why or why not? :confused:

***​

The rules for swordmage implements says the following: Any light blade or heavy blade. Your blade adds its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls and any extra damage granted by a property (if applicable) when used as an implement. You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll when using your blade as an implement.

Does this mean that my multiclass wizard/swordmage gets the enhancement bonus to all of his wizard powers too and that he doesn't need any other implement? :confused:

After all, the text simply says "Your blade adds its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls" with absolutely no regard to what kind of an attack you are making so long as it has the implement (or weapon) keywords). Every published class prior to the swordmage explicitly states that the enhancement bonus from thier implements only applies to powers from their respective classes. Swordmage seems to be an exception in that they are extremely versatile with their sword implements. :)

Please help me sort out these questions with as near an official answer as possible, so that I may finish statting out my epic swordmage character accurately.

Last edited:

1of3

Explorer
It only applies to powers with the Weapon keyword, and only to damage ROLLS. (That is, whenever some die is rolled to determine damage. No ongoing damage and stuff.)

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Does it apply only on swordmage powers with the weapon keyword? How about powers using the heavy blade as an implement? After all, I'm still using the weapon to make an attack. :confused:

No, you're using an implement, not a weapon, and therefore you don't get the Weapon focus bonus damage.

It's simple - you only get the bonus damage when you're using a power with the "Weapon" keyword included. That's the purpose of keywords - to avoid confusion on this type of issue.

Ravingdork

Explorer
No, you're using an implement, not a weapon, and therefore you don't get the Weapon focus bonus damage.

It's simple - you only get the bonus damage when you're using a power with the "Weapon" keyword included. That's the purpose of keywords - to avoid confusion on this type of issue.

Could you provide a rules quote to back up your response, please?

As far as I can tell, you would apply the damage whenever you make a #[w] attack with the weapon, regardless of what keywords the power in question uses. After all, Weapon Focus make no mention of keywords and the Keyword rules make no mention of Weapon Focus.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Could you provide a rules quote to back up your response, please?

Unfortunately, I don't have the books with me, nor I am yet subscribed to DDI, so I can't provide a quote.

Hopefully someone else will be able to and clear this up! If I'm wrong, I'd like to be proved wrong for clarification. :)

DracoSuave

First Post
The answer's straight from Customer Service after consultation with the devs. Weapon-based feats only apply to Weapon-keyworded powers. Weapon-based feats apply even to damage rolls that don't involve [W], it is only the presence of the Weapon keyword that matters. Implement-based feats that contain [W]-type damage rolls are not affected by Weapon Focus. It's an extension on the ruling involving Wizard of the Spiral Tower.

When using a magic weapon as an implement, only the Critical, Properties, and Enhancement sections apply. (from the FAQ)

Last edited:

Ravingdork

Explorer
The answer's straight from Customer Service after consultation with the devs. Weapon-based feats only apply to Weapon-keyworded powers. Weapon-based feats apply even to damage rolls that don't involve [W], it is only the presence of the Weapon keyword that matters. Implement-based feats that contain [W]-type damage rolls are not affected by Weapon Focus. It's an extension on the ruling involving Wizard of the Spiral Tower.

Could you direct me to this ruling? Undoubtedly it was posted somewhere (assuming it's true and is even real).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
(assuming it's true and is even real).

This was an unnecessary and potentially quite rude addendum to your post - why would someone go to the effort of posting something that wasn't true or real? It didn't add anything to your question.

Please be careful when posting, we do want to keep everything friendly and without room for misunderstandings

Thanks

Ravingdork

Explorer
This was an unnecessary and potentially quite rude addendum to your post - why would someone go to the effort of posting something that wasn't true or real? It didn't add anything to your question.

Please be careful when posting, we do want to keep everything friendly and without room for misunderstandings

Thanks

I've seen enough "fake" CS responses from 4E haters trying to sow confusion to be suspicious. Though it was not meant to be insulting, neither do I make any apologies for the wording of my post.

Jack99

Adventurer
I've seen enough "fake" CS responses from 4E haters trying to sow confusion to be suspicious. Though it was not meant to be insulting, neither do I make any apologies for the wording of my post.

On these boards?

Either way, it's in the FAQ, as was mentioned in the post.

Remove ads