• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sewer Monster Mash

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Hey Guys!

I've got a game coming up that will take place in the sewers of a major city. I'm looking for some interesting ideas for monsters to populate the area.

Presently the major players are going to be Were-Rats with Giant Rats and a faction of Shadow Monks. So what I'm looking for are some ideas for "filler" creatures that might be found in the dank tunnels below.

The city is a capital of the country and is a coastal city. Magic is low in this region, so my thoughts of having magical aberrations created from the run off of some magical toxic sludge is out, although I suppose there could be something that has been lingering there for decades.

Any suggestions for monsters is appreciated. The group is a party of 4, all at 5th level. There will also be an NPC accompanying them (3rd level Rogue), but is mainly there for plot. Also, if you have some cool ideas for Sewer shenanigans then feel free to share. =)

Sewer Monks! That's a philosophy that has to be hard to recruit for. :>

Giant crocodiles come to mind as do stirges, light-hating undead like shadows and a shambling mound made out of city refuse has got to be gross!

Oofta

Legend
Do shambling mounds and oozes count as toxic sludge?

Other options would be oytughs, giant spiders, grimlocks (people long ago banished to the sewers and now mutated), fungi and giant centipedes? Cloakers, golems and gricks oh my!

Or just reflavor existing monsters to fit something that fits your world view.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
The faction of shadow monks wouldn't happen to be comprised of four humanoid turtles led by a were rat that eat large amounts of pizza would they?

A sea hag could be an interesting inclusion. I recently read the hag section in volo's guide to monsters and it made me really want to use them more in my games.

Carrion crawlers could make a fun encounter.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Have a clay golem, left over from a previous age, that is either inside a Gelatinous Cube, or has another type of acidic ooze that covers it.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Scrags (Aquatic Troll)

Were-crocodile (Werewolf refluffed)

Feces Golem (Clay Golem refluffed)

Osquip

Sea Zombie

Giant Toad

Bullywug

Slaad

Lacedon (Aquatic Ghoul/Ghast)

Purple Worm