• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sewer system puzzles

djdaidouji

First Post
Now, I've posted this kind of thing in General before, but I'm still not sure if this is the place for it, or the Plots and Places forum. Please tell me so I don't make a mistake again, or at least so I don't feel like I'm making a mistake.

Anyway, I'm a fairly new GM, making my own adventures for 4e when it comes out. Right now, I have a few sewer-related adventures planned, but at the moment its just...combat, combat, combat. At the moment, the PCs are living in the sewers with a group of NPCs, hiding away from corrupt police. (I was asking about this about a week ago if anyone remembers.)

The current plan is:
1) The PCs are asked to go on a scouting duty around the general vicinity, scaring away the few monsters that are roaming. This will be a few very easy encounters, I'm going to be introducing at least 2 people to DnD and RPGs in general, so I'm going to start off very basic. This will be about 1 or 2 full encounters worth, and give them a broken up parcel.

2) A child has fallen ill, though luckily one of the NPCs is a doctor. He asks the PCs to go up to his apocathery/clinic and retrieve some herbs which should help the healing, as the only Cleric in the group is a PC (if a player picks cleric, that is) and wouldn't have access to sickness curing spells yet. The PC's are directed to a certain manhole that is hidden deep in a maze of alleys, which the corrupt guard force probably hasn't found. (Perhaps a different NPC is a thief who used it to escape earlier, relaying the info the the PCs for a price.) From there, they navigate the city without attracting attention from the guards. (See 2.5 after), which is fairly easy as the apocathery is only a few blocks from the alley. The only problem is that some guards come by while they are in the apocathery and hang out in the alley, goofing off. The PCs can either wait it out or find another way down.
Between going to the manhole and finding their way back, not including any guards, should net them 3 encounters, a good deal of treasure from the apocathery, as well as a minor quest XP.

2.5) If the PCs are caught, they can fight their way out, though if an alarm is raised, they have very little chance of escaping. The guards use non-lethal damage to make them submit, and put them in a make shift jail. The PC's rogue will have little problem having them escape out the back window of the cell, though they are introduced to an NPC thief who was also caught, crying and praying for his brothers to come save him. When the PCs escape, they can either bring the thief or leave him. Either way, later on in the sewers they'll encounter his "brothers" as a random encounter, and find out they had no real intention of saving him.

3) After the PCs bring the medicine back, they get a good rest. They can choose to explore more, or find a lost child. I don't feel like going into the whole thing, but it turns out it's sewer kobolds, and the main encounter is going to be like 10 minions or so, all going for the child, and the PCs have to hold them back.

Alright. So, all of this is pretty much just combat encounters. I can do skill challenges for navigating the sewers, but thats all I can really think of. Does anyone have any ideas for puzzles or other things that can be done in the sewer? I'm thinking things like having to get across a rushing drain when they find the bridge over it has collapsed, or puzzles including moving the direction of the flow, but I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Gilladian

Adventurer
I think you have a really good set of possible roleplay options already built into your scenarios - for example, negotiating with the NPC who knows the alley layout, and then working with the rogue in the cell to decide if he should be freed or not. And again, when they meet his "brothers" there could be some interesting interactions when he figures out his brothers didn't care to rescue him. That might pay dividends for the PCs later.

As far as puzzles go, one would be possible based on the need to maintain and repair the sewers. There must be some way to block off various sections and divert around them for maintenance. So maybe a control room with a missing instruction manual. Or at least gates/walls that can be lowered via levers at various points. Using them could be noisy and attract attention from guards or sewer denizens.

Hidden chambers revealed only by using the correct magic words (found on an ancient shriveled corpse in a dead end?) could lead to unusual areas in the sewer.

Make them use engineering or architecture skill checks to rig supports for damaged areas of tunnels - it will make the dwarf feel useful, or give the wizard a reason for being pleased at studying engineering. If you have a character who took alchemy skills or is a ranger, have unusual plants (molds or slimes or fungi) growing somewhere that he can identify and harvest for some purpose.

djdaidouji

First Post
Oh! Yeah, those are good ideas! I was thinking about how to divert stuff, but I didn't think about a control room. Though I doubt PCs would like to go crawling through pipes that were earlier filled with sewage, even if it's been diverted since. I really like the support of engineering, though I'm not sure if 4e has anything like that.

As for magical walls, that would work great, since I already have the PCs finding a corpse near a bunch of monstrous spiders. There could be a note saying "Turn left at BH-2, over the left hangy thing, and look under the stairs. I got Jimmy to magic it up, so say "I don't want to enter" and the door'll open. Watch out for spiders too, they spit poison."
I could have them find the corpse before, and once they read the note, they notice a rather acidic smell coming from behind them...

I really like the slime thing. I guess with a proper nature check, they could find a certain mold that, when mixed with something else (that they can get from the apothecary), makes a weak but long lasting glowing oil, or something else that would be a use. (Perhaps when crushed, a fungus takes the smell of the sewers away. The NPCs would treat them as heroes.)

Thanks a ton, Gilladian!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
1. A Maintenance Golem that will only let you pass if you give it the "required materials" - the PCs will need to work out what the required materials are (perhaps the corpse was a repair man with carrying materials order form that need to be accessed)

2. A series of sealed doors which connect a line of Dry-Locks (or diversion tunnels) the right sequence has to be found so that all doors remain open or water is diverted to the right place

3. A verticle shaft that has to be negotiated

Remove ads