• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackeled City - what are my chances and when do you give XP?

Are we screwed? And When to give XP?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
It was my understanding (from the hardcover at least) that the SCAP was designed for 6 PC's (rather than the standard 4). If your DM is making the encounters harder again because there are 6 PC's then you really are in for a world of pain.

Olaf the Stout

:eek: Oh boy. I never knew that. Hopefully I can use some of the info you guys have given me to convince him we need a bit of a break in the XP department. I really want to thank everyone who has posted - I feel better informed about what the expectations are in the SCAP.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Psychic Warrior said:
:eek: Oh boy. I never knew that. Hopefully I can use some of the info you guys have given me to convince him we need a bit of a break in the XP department. I really want to thank everyone who has posted - I feel better informed about what the expectations are in the SCAP.

FWIW, I understand in part what your DM may be thinking. It doesn't make much intuitive sense for a PC to suddenly say "Hey, I just realized! I can do X!"...but at the same time, you're talking about a game of heroic adventure and fantasy. Often, I tend to compromise. If the party levels during an adventure, I give immediate level benefits of hit points, saves, attribute bonuses...anything that can be added quickly. Spells, feats and skills require a night's rest to apply. Class abilities are handled on a case by case basis, but are usually immediate for a core class. When in doubt, I err to the players benefit.

Shackled City, as you've heard, is for six players, NOT four. Further, the challenges towards the end of the modules are STRONG. A group of six 3rd-level characters found the final battle in "Life's Bazaar" dangerous...a group of six 1st-level adventurers trying the same battle? Those who live will be sold as slaves. Seriously. When your DM does level up the party, does he do multiple levels? Because even if they manage to make it through the Malachite Fortress alive, the next module will almost certainly spell their doom.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Psychic Warrior said:

Let us know how it works out.

The Auld Grump

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Talked to my DM tonight and he is going to be giving us the XP we've earned so far (easily enough to level us up to 2nd)and seemed very open to the idea of giving XP as we go in the future. I am really glad he's going to ease up on the XP thing (even though I do mostly the same thing in my games) and I figure we will be able to handle most anything this 1st adventure throws at us now (we are a remarkably versatile and resourceful group believe it or not).

Remove ads