Shackled City, Act I - Life's Bazaar

Dichotomy

Explorer
Konstantine sets her heavy backpack on the floor and prepares to help hoist her comrades up. As the bard turns back to the pit she gasps. "Gods! You're hurt! Let's get you up here quickly."

Scotley said:
With the light from above, William will check the body of the Skulk for anything useful and gather up the fallen crossbow and bolts. He'll help the others up as best he can from below and be the last out of the pit.

(William Search Check, Roll: 19+1=20)William is quite sure that there is nothing else of interest on the dead skulk's body. He picks up the crossbow and bolts (OOC: Scotley, please add those items to William's Character Sheet in the Rogue's Gallery)

Last edited:

Eliara, recalling that she has a rope in her pack, manages to fish it out one-handed, and tosses it up to Konstantine and Dowlee. Galen passes his spear up as well, and the characters stuck in the pit prepare to ascend (with Kon and Dowlee holding the rope for them).

(Eliara Climb Check Roll: 12+4=16; William Climb Check Roll: 8+0=8; Galen Climb Check Roll: 7+0=7)

Eliara nimbly grasps the rope held down by Konstantine and Dowlee. With practiced ease, she scrambles up the smooth stone face and finds herself safely at the top of the pit once more. William and Galen, however, struggle to clear the spikes at the bottom of the pit. Despite their lack of progress, they keep trying.

William Climb Check Roll: 6+0=6; Galen Climb Check Roll: 8+0=8. Hmmm...How about if they take 10?

Although not natural climbers, William and Galen, through careful diligence, are able to scale halfway up the pit, using the dangling rope, and the wall spikes as footholds. Now they face the challenge of scaling the upper part of the wall (and the prospect of a 10' fall if they roll badly!)

OOC: Taking 10 won't be good enough to make this part of the climb. How to proceed?

Scotley said:
OOC: My understanding is that if you use a corner or a rope you only fall on a natural 1. You just don't progress if you miss the DC by 1 to 4.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/climb.htm

OOC: Taking into account the rope, the presence of companions above to help with the climb, and the proximity of a corner, I will reverse myself. By taking 10, William and Galen are able to make the climb successfully out of the pit.

IC: After the fraught-filled experience with the tilting pit trap, it feels good to be back on solid footing once more.

What will you do now?

Scotley

Hero
William Human Paladin

"If I decide to take off foolishly again somebody hit me with a mace," says William shaking his head. He takes a bit of cloth from his cloak and sops up some of the blood from wounds and uses it to mark the edge of the pit top "PIT" in big letters, careful to over balance. "That thing is a menace. I suspect the Gnomes have other traps as well, we should use caution."

Dichotomy

Explorer
Konstantine's face drains of color as she watches the paladin write in his own blood. "William, stop bending like that! Gods, you look like you are about to fall apart. Eliara, you don't look much better. Dowlee, can you help them?" The bard's voice shakes with obvious concern for her wounded companions.

Remove ads