D&D 5E Shadar Kai Officially Elves now

bogmad

First Post
Listening to the latest D&D podcast, and it sounds like they went ahead and made Shadar Kai elves instead of humans.

Was thinking the feedback from the survey might be enough to nix that, but apparently not.

I think they were just too eager to make a shadowfel opposite of eladrin and the Fey

gyor

Legend
Listening to the latest D&D podcast, and it sounds like they went ahead and made Shadar Kai elves instead of humans.

Was thinking the feedback from the survey might be enough to nix that, but apparently not.

I think they were just too eager to make a shadowfel opposite of eladrin and the Fey

I think they we're only interested in feed back on the easy to adjust mechanics, not on the Shadar Kai on being elves, as that part of the Elves chapter likely had already been written by the time the survey question had been asked.

Just a hypothesis.

Imaro

Legend
I think they we're only interested in feed back on the easy to adjust mechanics, not on the Shadar Kai on being elves, as that part of the Elves chapter likely had already been written by the time the survey question had been asked.

Just a hypothesis.

Did they publish the results of the survey? Or is there just an assumption that the Shadar Kai as humans are the more popular option among players?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They didn't, in particular, ask if people cared about the change. In all likelihood, few noticed or cared, but gave the subrace good marks. The chapter wouldn't have been set in stone at that point, and would have been open to change (we might see some level of change in the final product, who knows?).

Did they publish the results of the survey? Or is there just an assumption that the Shadar Kai as humans are the more popular option among players?

I don't think they ever (or very rarely) release actual survey results; they might give us what they gleaned from the survey but don't expect that anytime soon. If it wasn't a question on the survey (and I don't recall, but I would be pretty surprised if it was), then it wouldn't be something they would be interested in hearing respondents views on. It is possible that if enough people complained in the open-ended question they usually have at the end of their surveys, they might have taken notice, but I think [MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION] is correct and SK being elves was already decided on.

Imaro

Legend
I don't think they ever (or very rarely) release actual survey results; they might give us what they gleaned from the survey but don't expect that anytime soon. If it wasn't a question on the survey (and I don't recall, but I would be pretty surprised if it was), then it wouldn't be something they would be interested in hearing respondents views on. It is possible that if enough people complained in the open-ended question they usually have at the end of their surveys, they might have taken notice, but I think [MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION] is correct and SK being elves was already decided on.

Ok cool was asking for a couple reasons...

1. I was genuinely curious to see the results if they had been shared.
2. The OP seems to presuppose or assume that the majority of feedback on the change was negative and was hoping it was enough to prevent the change. ( Honestly I don't think enough people cared to complain about it in and those who did may have been offset by those congratulating WotC for returning the Shadar-Kai to their Fey origins)
3. The OP seems to insinuate that the decision was made irregardless of the feedback received as a perceived necessary opposite to Eladrin and the Fey by the devlopers/designers. (Which seems to ignore the fact that the Shadar-Kai originally began as Fey)

Remove ads