• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Form and SoKharid Combo Thoughts

WOLead

First Post
The combo is limited, as its a once per day and only against one target that cannot fly. I mentioned it before, but started wondering if I had the thought down if it works. A Warlock at level 9 takes Summons of Khirad, and at level 10 he takes Shadow form.

Against one non-flying target, he uses Summons of Khirad for a Con vs. Will and pulls the target 3 squares diagonally away and up so the target is knocked prone and takes 1d10 damage. Then uses his Minor Action to activate Shadow Form. Finally his Move Action to fly straight up 6 squares. That first fall for a small 1d10 damage is just a dire portent of things to come for the target.

On the next turn, he flies as high as he can while in range 10 of the target and Sustains Minor the Summons of Khirad, makes another Con vs. Will, and teleports the target 3 squares diagonally away and up again. Thus dropping the target from a height of 14 squares(70 feet). The target falls 65 feet for 6d10 damage a turn and is knocked prone again. Repeat on the following turns until a miss or death. No Standard Action due to Shadow Form. No Warlock's Curse damage added on though or an Ability Mod damage, but it makes it one of the higher damages a level 10 can make a round, repeatedly.

I know a ranger could beat the fall damage in one turn with "Attacks on the Run" for 6d10+2Dex+Quarry damage against one target, but the Warlock can sustain the falling damage until he misses with a Con vs. Will attack and he knocks the target prone repeatedly.

Sadly, against a Dragon or other flying creature this combo won't work. But the Summons of Khirad would let you to constantly pull the dragon back down to ground level for your allies to pound the beast until you miss with a Con vs. Will.

Can someone point out a flaw in my thoughts of a Summons of Kharid and Shadow Form combo? Might as well figure out before I try it.

Vayden

First Post
Hmm - probably depends on your DM. If I was your DM, I would rule that the Summons of Khirad, while it doesn't have the push, pull or slide keywords, is still forced movement. Forced movement, acc to p285 of the PHB, does not allow you to move your target vertically. No drag and drop for falling damage, at least in my campaigns.

The Grackle

First Post
WOLead said:
Can someone point out a flaw in my thoughts of a Summons of Kharid and Shadow Form combo? Might as well figure out before I try it.

You can't move a target vertically with forced movement.
Forced movement is usually push/pull/slide, but might also include teleporting effects.

WOLead

First Post
Ah, I didn't connect the possibility of Teleport being under the Forced movement rules. Though, its implied that Teleportation and Forced Movement both in the restrictions on page 57 and 285-286 are two different things, especially since Push, Pull, and Slide have certain restrictions that don't make sense to a Teleportation or contradict it, such as Line of Effect and Clear Path.

Though a lack of vertical movement makes the Summons of Kharid much weaker in a fight against a flying creature. Being unable to pull it back down to the ground for your allies.

For an errata, how about the effect can teleport the target into 3 squares horizontal to yourself, that way you can still drag a flying creature down for allies.

That takes care of the initial turn drop, and subtracts 1d10 damage from the sustain minor at 10 squares up, or making it a flat 25 damage from the Falling Damage description thats reducible by a trained Acrobatics check. Would that be fair for a Daily use?

Remove ads