• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Phoenix

Duke Arioch

First Post
Oki, as my paladin story nears to the closure, DM told us to prepare for the new session.
I want to return to my favorite class - warlock, and I was thinking something along the line of mystic theurge. I like to make a "leveling plan" and have it written down to a tiniest detail (I do that even when I play CRPGs lol). So, I built Warlock4/Binder1/Ur-Priest2/Hellfire Warlock3/Eldritch Disciple9/Mindbender1.
However, after meeting my party, I found out that it would be broken-overpowered compared to others, and I went back to the drawing board. While I was running through Warlock threads on Wizards community site, I stumbled upon this Phoenix Nightcrawler thing. It was a love at first sight, lol.

Human Swordsage 1/ Warlock 6/SS +1/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/JPM 8

Swordsage 1: Quick to Act +1, discipline focus (weapon focus), Cloak of Deception, 5 others, Dodge, Mobility
Warlock 1: Least invocation,
Warlock 2: Least invocation, Detect Magic, Blind fight
Warlock 3: DR 1/cold iron
Warlock 4: Least Invocation, Decieve Item
Warlock 5: Spring Attack
Warlock 6: Flee the Scene
Swordsage 2: AC bonus, Assassin’s Stance, 1 maneuver (3rd)
Telflammar Shadowlord 1: Shadowsight, shadow jump, Quicken: Flee the Scene
Telflammar Shadowlord 2: Shadow blur
Telflammar Shadowlord 3: Shadow walk
Telflammar Shadowlord 4: Shadow pounce, Adaptive Style
JPM 1: +1 Man. known (4th) (Searing Blade), arcane wrath, rite of waking
JPM 2: Mystic phoenix stance
JPM 3: +1 Man. known (5th) (Leaping Flame), +1 Man. readied, Shadow Stride
JPM 4: Empowering strike
JPM 5: +1 Man. known (6th) (Rallying Strike), +1 stance
JPM 6: +1 Man. readied, Firebird stance, Jade Phoenix master, Feat
JPM 7: +1 Man. known (7th) (Inferno Blade)
JPM 8: Quickening strike

BAB 16; F/R/W: 9/11/11; Casts as Warlock 12 (6d6 blast, 1 Greater invocation)
Although fun, this has some drawbacks. BAB scales horribly, and 4th attack is attained only on lvl 20. Warlock invocations will only go to 1 greater, so most of the fun warlock stuff is out, I guess. A good thing is that DM allows Dragonfire Adept invocations for warlocks (except ones tied to breath weapon), so I am planning on taking Humanoid Shape, which will be golden.

Now, I know it requires ToB - Bo9S, which many DMs are not comfortable with, but, in my case, the DM was the one who gave me the book as a birthday present 2 years ago (he is my IRL friend), so I don't think he will object.

I will lay down the house rules:

-all non-LA races are open
-starting gold according to the table in DMG
-hitpoints gained per lvl are maximized hit die on every odd number lvl and half that every even numbered lvl
-Leadership feat and other means to get powerful companions are out
-multiclassing (with xp penalties) is allowed
-all material is available (and I mean all), though some "broken" stuff is out.

I rolled my abilities and got great numbers: 18, 18, 15, 13, 12 9.
Now, there are some unresolved things, and I like to hear your opinions on some of them:

1: How would you assign the scores?
2: Which skills should I focus on? Hide, Move silently, UMD and Concentration seem a good idea to max to me (I will take able learner at 1st level) but I will have leftovers.
3: Which weapon should I choose? Since I will be feat starved even after I get 2 flaws (which I intend to) so 2 weapon fighting line is out.
4: Which invocations would you get? Flee the scene is a must, but there are 3 least, 1 lesser and 1 greater open.
5: Which feats should I get? When I get 2 flaws, I will have one feat slot open either on lvl 1 or lvl 3 and one in later levels.
6: Any insight on useful equipment is welcome.

That is it for now. If I forgot anything, I will add it in later posts.
Thank you all in advance.

P.S. The party mentioned consists of pure cleric, paladin/sorcerer/abjurant champ/spellsword and pure barbarian.

Last edited:

Duke Arioch

First Post
Eldritch glaive is awesome, but I don't think it is compatible with this build. Correct me if I am wrong, but pouncing gives full attack action and not full round action required by glaive. Also, 6d6 blast simply isn't good enough.

Duke Arioch

First Post
Uhm... okay. This game is starting Wednesday evening. Any help I get until then will be appreciated. If I get none, I'll figure it out myself.
Right now, I am trying to decide whether to go STR/WIS or DEX/finesse build. Hmm...

Duke Arioch

First Post
Swordsages get access to the Shadow Hand feat, which makes a Dex based build much better.
Yeah... you are right. So, basically, I get all required feats except spring attack on lvl 1, take finesse on lvl 3, spring att. on 6, and Shadow Blade (thx for reminding me) on 15 or 18. A solid idea. Now to see which weapon to get. It should be Shadow hand compatible for that feat to work. Spiked chain would be awesome, but I don't have any more feats to burn.

What about those scores? How would you assign them?

Duke Arioch

First Post
Okay... That is what I thought too. How about a weapon of choice? Any idea? I can't efficiently dual wield, so dagger is suboptimal. To be able to use shadow blade feat, I need to choose from dagger, short sword, sai, siangham, unarmed strike, and spiked chain, and almost all of them are off limit since I can only use melee (and thrown) martial weapons. This limits me to short sword and/or dagger. I might check with my DM if he would allow me to trade in my weapon proficiencies for EWP spiked chain, or something.
What about other gear?
We are scheduled to play tomorrow evening, and any thoughts would help so much.
Thx in advance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads