• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Shadow Step in dark dungeon - general purpose teleport or abuse of feature?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@doctorbadwolf Next time if you answer ask yourself if you are just answering because you are feeling hurt by aomeone playing differently (in a reasonable way). If you don't limot mundane tasks like walking (you need rests once kn a while) then it is unreasonable to limit magic in that way.
I for myself like it a bit more real. Mundane tasks exhaust your body. Magical tasks exhaust your mind if you don't rest. And to your question: you can't use mage hand much longer without rest than a clockmaker can work on a clockwork. I would say 8 hours a day, some short rests in between and a a good meal.

Hurt?

What are you even talking about?

I disagreed with your advice. Don't make it a thing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't know the dynamics of your table. But I'll go back to what I wrote in my first post.

This is a signature ability. As such, you shouldn't stomp on it needlessly. That's simple enough.

That said, anything (and I do mean anything) can be abused. That's not a game system problem, it's a table issue. An example I used was cantrip spamming. There's no problem with a caster spamming cantrips in every combat- they're at-will, and it's totally cool if they do that. OTOH, it would get really annoying if a caster used the at-will ability to do it ... all the time. Like, as the party was wandering around, constantly spamming cantrips ahead of the party just because, who know, maybe they'll hit a monster, or a squirrel, or whatever.

Just like there's no rule to keep a party member with the party. You could all get together for a game, and he's like, "Yo, Ima do my own thing." Yes, there are reasons to split up the party sometimes, but it would get really annoying if everyone gets together, and Ima Fool the Paladin is always off on his own. It's not a rules violation, so much as an annoying violation of the social compact.

If the player is just enjoying his ability under the rules, let it be. Just because it doesn't agree with your genre ideas, doesn't mean this it's incorrect. On the other hand, if it becomes a table issue, it should probably be discussed. Even if it's just, "Hey, I don't want to cramp your style, but do you mind cooling you jets a little with the shadowstep unless you're in combat or you are using for an exploration reason?"

I had a character once, in a homebrew game, who could teleport and could walk on on walls and cielings and such. Oone of his quirks was that he paced when idle, and his pacing involving teleporting around, walking on walls, etc. Had anyone in the group found it annoying, as a player, I would have toned down how often I mentioned it, but I paid the damn points to be able to do those things at will. If someone tried to tell me I needed to stop teleporting so much because reasons, I'd just tell them no.

It's no different than getting bent out of shape because the athletic guy is climbing all over everything all the time, or the acrobatic archer is always finding a high perch to hang out in whenever the party stops. That's their character, doing what their character is built to do.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
without a 5 min rest or eating a bit in between? Every 6 seconds?

Mandated breaks during 12 hour shifts only started to come in towards the end of the 19th century. Heck, 12 hour shifts only started to come in during the 19th century. Given the attitudes of the time, I find it hard to believe that every worker was "slacking off" during their shift. Heck, I would say that a miner swinging a pick only once every 6 seconds is already slacking off...

posineg

Explorer
I use a monk that shadow steps...no problems until the DM started to put more Rune Traps in the area. Teleport without searching, Rune trap and some of those traps can be troublesome.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Just have all that Astral activity in a small area so often used attract the attention of an astral denizen. It would be like an irritating blinking light in the corner of the eye for such critters and eventually one of them would want to come and turn the light OFF...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads