• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Walk - Multiple Jumps?

Jeremy

Explorer
Does shadow walk allow you and your party to come back and forth multiple times for the duration like wind walk?

Doesn't appear to say one way or the other. The duration doesn't read like it's terminated at the end of the first jump. One of my high level PC's asked and I don't know.

Hmm...

The spell is Dismissible.

I read this to mean that the maximum amount of time you may spend traversing the Plane of Shadow is equal to 1 hour / level (and, thus, the maximum distance you can move is 50 * level in miles).

In order to return to the Material Plane, you must dismiss the spell. Therefore, you only get one trip.

EDIT:

To provide some rules backing, the actual effect of the spell is:

SRD said:
You and any creature you touch are then transported along a coiling path of shadowstuff to the edge of the Material Plane where it borders the Plane of Shadow.

The rest of the spell talks about what you may do and what may happen while on the Plane of Shadow, and what happens when the spell ends (either because it is dismissed or the duration runs out).

shilsen

Adventurer
What Patryn said. I don't see anything in the spell indicating that you can get off the Plane of Shadow and return to it, and there are a number of references to the end of your trip being when you exit the Plane of Shadow.

beaver1024

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Nerfed from what? The 3E version was the same as the 3.5 version.

-Hyp.

Really? Wasn't the user able to pin point exactly where they left the Shadow Plane instead of the nerfed 3.5 version where they're effectively blind?

Jeremy

Explorer
I get it. It doesn't allow you to return to the Material, you have to dismiss it to do that. That along with the not specifically saying you get multiple jumps is good enough for me.

Thanks guys. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
beaver1024 said:
Really? Wasn't the user able to pin point exactly where they left the Shadow Plane instead of the nerfed 3.5 version where they're effectively blind?

Oh, okay. Yes, there's the random exit effect (you're 'blind' in both cases, but at least you know where you're ending up in 3E). But there was no change in the in-and-out-once nature of the spell... I thought that was what you were referring to by "It's been nerfed. You can go in and out once."

-Hyp.

Velenne

Explorer
So what is the intended use of the spell?

I took the random exit clause in there to be a description of what would happen if you are still travelling when the spell's duration expires, not what happens every time you use the spell. Sort of like the similar clauses in Feather Fall or Wind Walk.

Velenne said:
So what is the intended use of the spell?

Long range overland travel with a general destination.

Not, long range overland travel with a precise destination.

In other words, it's useful to get from here to the beach. It's not as useful to get from here to one particular spot on the beach.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads