• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowblade (a rogue/sorceror base class)

drexes

First Post
SHADOWBLADE

Okay so I haven't written a lot of fluff for this yet, but...

My goal was this: In the manner in which sorceror and fighter were blended so well in the Duskblade, I wanted to blend the rogue/shadowdancer and the warlock, creating a 'darker' feeling character with a tie to the shadows. I was initailly inspired by the Obtenebration discipline from some old white wolf books, so my idead started there. From there I went through some of the books looking for ideas for some abilities, and what I found was a wealth of spells that accomplished exactly what I wanted to do. Why re-invent what you can steal, right? My initial inkling is that this class was overpowered, but the more I look it over, it may actually be underpowered. The class never gets a spell-ability before a caster of the same level would and he is very limited both in times per day and number of spells. Let me know what you think.

As I know some of you are tired of classes, I can tell you that this is the last one I have written or plan to write...

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills
The shadowblade’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Int).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Saves: Good Reflex, Bad Will & Fort
Base Attack: As rogue

1 Sneak Attack +1d6, Darkvision 60 ft., Umbrare I
3 Trap Sense +1, Umbrare II
5 Sneak Attack +2d6, Umbrare III
6 Trap Sense +2
7 Umbrare IV
9 Trap Sense +3, Umbrare V
10 Sneak Attack +3d6
11 Umbrare VI
12 Trap Sense +4
13 Umbrare VII
15 Trap Sense +5, Sneak Attack +4d6, Umbrare VIII
17 Umbrare IX
18 Trap Sense +6
19 Umbrare X
20 Sneak Attack +5d6

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the shadowblade.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Shadowblades are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield.

Sneak Attack: This ability functions just like the rogues’ ability of the same name.

Darkvision: The shadowblade gains darkvision to a range of sixty feet. If the character already possesses darkvision, this ability extends the range of that darkvision by sixty feet.

Trap Sense: This ability functions just like the rogues’ ability of the same name.

Umbrare: The shadowblade can use several spell-like abilities. Unless otherwise stated, using the abilities requires a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The caster level for these effects is equal to the shadowblade’s class level. Saves for these effects are given individually below, or are by the spell being duplicated.

I: The shadowblade can cast Darkness as a spell-like ability once per day. This spell functions exactly as the spell of the same name.

II: The shadowblade can cast Phantom Foe and Shadow Mask each once per day as a spell-like ability. These spells functions exactly as the spells of the same name. In addition, the shadowblade can exercise some limited control of the shadows in the area. This manifests as a +2 bonus to hide and intimidate skill checks.

III: The shadowblade can cast Blacklight and Phantasmal Assailants each once per day as a spell-like ability. These spells functions exactly as the spells of the same name.

IV: The shadowblade can Shadow Binding and Veil of Shadow each once per day as a spell-like ability. These spells functions exactly as the spells of the same name.

V: The shadowblade can cast Shadow Phase once per day as a spell-like ability. This spell functions exactly as the spell of the same name.

VI: The shadowblade can cast Shadow Form once per day as a spell-like ability. This spell functions exactly as the spell of the same name. In addition the shadowblade can now use the hide in plain sight ability. This ability functions exactly like the shadowdancer ability of the same name.

VII: The shadowblade may use Shadow Strike as spell-like ability three times per day. By doing so the shadowblade summons the mirror of his weapon from the plane of shadow. All attacks with the blade are considered touch attacks and strike incorporeal creatures as a ghost touch weapon. Damage from these attacks is per the normal weapon including any magical effects. This ability lasts a single round. For all other purposes this ability functions just as the Wraithstrike spell.

VIII: The shadowblade may use Shadow Meld as a spell-like ability once per day. By doing so the shadowblade becomes undetectable by any normal means. The shadowblade simply slips into a shadow and becomes part of it. The shadowblade cannot be seen with normal vision, low-light vision, or darkvision and is not detected by any divination spell. Because the shadowblade has joined physically with the shadow True Seeing will not reveal the character. While in Shadow Meld the character cannot move or take any other action. The character is aware of his surroundings and can perceive things normally. This ability has a duration of ten minutes per class level.

IX: The shadowblade may use Shadow Jump as a spell-like ability three times per day. The ability functions just as Dimension Door except that the shadowlade may only enter and exit through areas of shadow.

X: The shadowblade can cast Shadow Walk once per day as a spell-like ability. This spell functions exactly as the spell of the same name.

Again feedback is always welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Drexes

Land Outcast

Explorer
What I'm going to do next in inexcusable, but it's what I felt when I read the first lines of your post:

OH MY GAWD!!1 TAHT CONCEPT BE TEH ROXXXORZ!!!1!

Sincerely: I do not know what the Obtenebration disciple is, but the concept presented is just charming...

Land Outcast

Explorer
Hum... now that I have time to look at it, I'm convinced it's underpowered...

No Trapfinding
No Evasion
No Uncanny Dodge, no IUD
Same Bab
Spell like abilities 1/day each
4 skillpoints less per level
1/2 Sneak Attack progression

And as the cherry: What would you prefer, Umbrare VI through X or Improved Evasion, Defensive Roll, Skill Mastery, and Slippery Mind?
Here the stakes go for the Shadowblade, but you are leaving behind some quite appreciated abilities... And just from lvl 13 to lvl 20 (I consider any of those abilities better than Umbrare VI)...

A base class which looks inferior from lvl 1 through 12... maybe a Possible solution would be:
Full Bab and Sneak Attack every 4 levels.

maybe

drexes

First Post
Ok here's what I'm thinking:

Give them trapfinding at level 2.
Good Will saves in addition to good reflex.
A scaling miss chance that goes up with level as they constantly embrace the shadow plane, the become more divided among the planes, say +5% every even level. That could be unique, still fit with the motif and potentially very cool.

Land Outcast

Explorer
good idea... but concealment > 0% would award sneak attack damage in every attack... hum... that could make up for the bad progression...

I don't see the class as a candidate for trapfinding...

Just adding the proposed misschance (while in shadows, i.e. less than full daylight) should patch it up well enough

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads