Shadowcaster Update

Cadfan

First Post
Some further edits made to the compendium post. The path mastery bonuses have been changed, as has the math for calculating mastery level.

Those have been the hardest part of the design. I want to encourage specialization, not merely to hand out small bonuses at random. So I've set the Path Mastery to "number of powers from that path, minus 1." The minus one part ensures that taking just one power from a path, or taking a feat that boosts that path, won't give you a "mastery" bonus. You have to invest at least 2 powers, or a power and a feat.

I may change it so that its "number of powers from that path, but a mastery level of 1 has no effect." That way you always start out with at least a bonus of 2, but you don't get anything from being a dilettante.

Cadfan

First Post
In spite of the almost complete lack of replies to this topic, I soldier on!

Feat: Shadow Cast
Paragon Tier
Any of your close burst or close blast mysteries may originate from a space adjacent to you rather than from your space.

Special: When you move the origin space of a close burst, it still deals no damage to you as normal. It may deal damage to someone in the new origin space.

Basically like the wizard feat but weaker and without the prerequisite, and with a rules note to clarify an ambiguity. The note probably isn't even necessary.

The next step is to create paragon paths. I want one that specializes in each path, but with a slight twist so that they aren't just more of the same. They're tougher to design than I expected, probably because I need five of them and each one requires six entries (two level 11 abilities, one level 11 power, one level 12 power, one level 16 ability, and one level 20 power).

Ouronos

Explorer
PDF version, perhaps

Greetings...

Hey, Cadfan -

I have only briefly glanced at the work done here, and it looks very interesting and inviting.

The only issue I have is the presentation of the information. Well, not really the presentation - as the presentation in the thread is perfect. I would just rather have a PDF or something with all the information so that it could all be printed and reviewed at once.

Any chance of transferring the information into a PDF? A PDF with just the heroic tier would be fine, since that's pretty much all you've posted. A complete PDF would be grand, though.

(Just so you know that people are, indeed, following the thread.)

Until that time...

Cadfan

First Post
I will absolutely upload a pdf... but right now I don't yet trust the balance since the only person who's reviewed it for balance is, well, me.

I also have a few... proud nails? Things I'd like to change if I could think up a better idea. Some of the path mastery bonuses, in particular, I'd like to revise. I like the temporary hit point one, the bonus to stealth (since this is a stealthy type character with no reason to use dexterity), and I'm a little ambivalent on some of the rest. They're not terrible, but if better ideas came along I'd change them.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Armor Proficiency: Cloth, Leather
Leather is actually pretty nice.

Trained Skills: Arcana. From the following list, choose 3 more: Dungeoneering, Endurance, Insight, Intimidate, Perception, Stealth
Interesting. Why not Bluff, History or Streetwise?

Mystic Reflections
+2 on the use of the Arcana skill to detect magic.
This is worthless.

Bend Perspective
When you cast this mystery, choose a square within five spaces of yourself. You may trace line of sight from this square. Sustain: minor.
This is ZOMG broken. There's a magic item which allows LoS offset by one square, and that's very strong.

For each path, a Shadowcaster has a "mastery level." This is equal to the number of mysteries the Shadowcaster knows from that path, minus 1. The Shadowcaster's Mastery Level in a path is used in determining the strength of his path features.

Umbral Mind
Path Feature: Add your mastery level in this path as a bonus to your Intimidate skill.
Could be broken, depending how you rule Intimidate used in combat.

Sharp Shadows
The shadows that surrounds you are edged, sharp enough to draw blood.
Dark Metamorphosis
Int v ref, R10, 1d8+ Intelligence cold damage. If a foe strikes you with a melee attack before your next turn, it takes your charisma modifier in damage.
Needs to be more precise. I think you mean if the one enemy you hit moves up and thwacks you, it takes extra damage ... which is very weak. If you mean any foe who thwacks you takes the extra damage, then it's reasonably strong.

Voice of Shadow
Your voice whispers in the back of your enemies minds, urging them to give up, to die...
Umbral Mind
Close Burst 2. Int v will. Foes take 1d6+int psychic damage.
Oh wow. Very big area for an at-will. Combined with Psychic Lock, this is totally brutal.

Arrows of Dusk
The energy of the Shadowfell flows from your fingers.
Elemental Shadows
2 targets within 2 of each other, R5, Int v ref, 1d6+ Intelligence necrotic damage
Should probably say something more like "1 or 2 targets within 2 of each other".

Black Fire
You begin to breach the walls between this world and the next.
Darkness Unbound
Wall 4 within 10. Everyone who passes through this wall or who begins their turn inside this wall takes 1d6+ Intelligence cold damage. This wall may only be created in empty spaces. You may dismiss this wall as a free action. Sustain: Minor.
Huh, an at-will wall. Does it block anything? Line of sight, line of effect, cover?

That's all I got time for tonight. :)

Cheers, -- N

Cadfan

First Post
Interesting. Why not Bluff, History or Streetwise?
Mostly to match the original Shadowcaster.
This is worthless.
Hmm. You're right.
This is ZOMG broken. There's a magic item which allows LoS offset by one square, and that's very strong.
The intent was that the way I phrased it you wouldn't be able to cast spells around corners, just see around corners. Because it doesn't provide line of effect. You'd be able to upgrade it with a feat you'll find later down the page so that you can cast around corners, but it would cost a standard action to cast the Fundamental, a minor to sustain it for the next round, and then the regular action to cast the spell. And the Fundamental only has a range of 5.

So what's the worst abuse you could pull off?
Could be broken, depending how you rule Intimidate used in combat.
The most you can get out of it based on current design is +6. And that's if you focus exclusively on this skill. Since Charisma isn't your favorite ability score, it basically puts you even with a paladin who took Skill Focus: Intimidate. Which is broken, I guess, depending on how you rule Intimidate to work in combat...
Needs to be more precise. I think you mean if the one enemy you hit moves up and thwacks you, it takes extra damage ... which is very weak. If you mean any foe who thwacks you takes the extra damage, then it's reasonably strong.
Exactly the way its phrased now. Anyone who hits you takes the damage. Ten people hit you, ten people take the damage.
Oh wow. Very big area for an at-will. Combined with Psychic Lock, this is totally brutal.
I hadn't thought about Psychic Lock. Still, it requires you to take your lightly armored character and venture within two spaces of your enemies. And if you want to hit more than one or two, you have to actually move in between them. I was hoping that the high risk would balance things.
Should probably say something more like "1 or 2 targets within 2 of each other".
Yeah, my phrasing isn't technically precise yet. I'll copy the language used by the PHB when I have the time.
Huh, an at-will wall. Does it block anything? Line of sight, line of effect, cover?
No. Just does damage. Its less a wall than an homage to the original Shadowcaster powers of the Dark Terrain path. Just some spaces that deal damage if you enter them.
That's all I got time for tonight. :)
Thanks!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The intent was that the way I phrased it you wouldn't be able to cast spells around corners, just see around corners. Because it doesn't provide line of effect.
There are plenty of teleportation effects that only need line of sight, but I'm more thinking about being able to look around every corner without making a Stealth check.

Exactly the way its phrased now. Anyone who hits you takes the damage. Ten people hit you, ten people take the damage.
The way it's phrased now is ambiguous, which is why I had to ask what you meant. Re-phrase it to make it more obvious.

I hadn't thought about Psychic Lock. Still, it requires you to take your lightly armored character and venture within two spaces of your enemies. And if you want to hit more than one or two, you have to actually move in between them. I was hoping that the high risk would balance things.
If you're standing behind two Defenders, your risk isn't all that high, and you can still easily hit five dudes on the other side of your allies, locked down by the two Defenders.

Compare with some Cleric Encounter powers, and I think you'll see attacking Will in that large an area At-Will is too strong. As an Encounter power, it's fine.

No. Just does damage. Its less a wall than an homage to the original Shadowcaster powers of the Dark Terrain path. Just some spaces that deal damage if you enter them.
Huh. Doesn't seem all that bad then.

Cheers, -- N

Cadfan

First Post
Any updates to this? It deserves a hefty bump.
I'm having trouble coming up with paragon paths. That's kind of my current sticking point.

To fit the architecture I've set, I need one paragon path per Path choice. That's five in total. That's... a lot of paragon paths to design.

I'll try to get at least one done sometime today. Who knows if it will happen.

Cadfan

First Post
Some of you may recognize this.

Whispersmith
Paragon Path
You have listened to the whispering voices from the deepest darkness, and learned to answer.

11: You can understand and respond to the speech of any sentient creature. You cannot read their language, unless you know it by some other means.
11: [Action Point] When you spend an action point, all foes in 5 take -2 to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
16: You may communicate telepathically with any willing creature you specifically know within 10 miles.

Sussuration
You inescapable whispers speak directly to the mind.
Level 11 Encounter Power
Umbral Mind
Target: Enemies in close burst 5. This power affects enemies even without line of sight or line of effect.
Int v Will. Hit: Dazed, in addition, you may slide a hit target 3+cha spaces, or knock that target prone.

Subvocalize
You lend weight to your words by leaning upon the psyche.
Level 12 Utility Power (Encounter)
Gain a +5 bonus on your next diplomacy, bluff, or intimidate check. If you fail the check, your target knows you attempted to influence them magically. If you succeed, the target does not.

Sibilation
Your foe can do little but listen to your voice.
Level 20 Daily Power
Umbral Mind
Int v Will. Range 20. This power affects enemies even without line of sight or line of effect. Hit: 4d10+Int psychic, stun. Sustain: move to maintain the stun. If foe saves, stun may not be sustained.

Remove ads