• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowdark looks so good!

Enrahim2

Adventurer
Regarding the quickstart - what appear to have been cut? I assume a ton of the random tables. But are for instance also the entire talent system or magic mishap table gone?

The reason I ask is that one thing I have found hard with advertising a new game when looking for group is that I am anti-pirate, but don't want to require a purchase to join. Several quickstarts I have seen have essentially been lesser or adjusted versions of the full game. This make them good for experiencing the essentials of the game, but do not allow a decent game with a mix of players using the quickstart and full games.

For the record I think D&D basic rules (5ed) makes a fine job of this, only really limiting options.

kapars

Adventurer
Regarding the quickstart - what appear to have been cut? I assume a ton of the random tables. But are for instance also the entire talent system or magic mishap table gone?

The reason I ask is that one thing I have found hard with advertising a new game when looking for group is that I am anti-pirate, but don't want to require a purchase to join. Several quickstarts I have seen have essentially been lesser or adjusted versions of the full game. This make them good for experiencing the essentials of the game, but do not allow a decent game with a mix of players using the quickstart and full games.

For the record I think D&D basic rules (5ed) makes a fine job of this, only really limiting options.
The magic mishap table is there for tier 1-2 spells.

darjr

I crit!
5000 backers.
Snap of the ks showing 5,088 backers.

Richards

Legend
With a name like Shadowdark, my first thought was to wonder whether there will be a vampiric character named "Collin Barnabas" involved.

Johnathan

(For those whose initial reaction was "Huh? I don't get it," Barnabas Collins was the main character - a vampire - in the old soap opera, "Dark Shadows.")

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I just reread the players and GMs quickstart books and man, other than not liking character creation, this is a really great ruleset. It's chopped down from 5E to be OSR, rather than taking one of the old TSR texts and building up from there.

Looking forward to testing this with Grizzled Adventurers characters and dungeon building rules tomorrow. I just have to figure out how to handle saving throws, since GA spells use the old AD&D saving throw system and switching to the Shadowdark method means changing all the spells or toting a conversion chart.

Jahydin

Hero
@Whizbang Dustyboots
Yeah, don't think I'll be mixing and matching this game with anything myself. I'm happy with it being its own little, self-contained game.

Let us know what you end up doing though!

Oh, and what's Grizzled Adventures?

Enrahim2

Adventurer
One thing that stands out to me is that stat modifier do not appear to affect either hp nor damage? That is in one way quite radical, but it really comes out as a neat simplification I think. It just make sense given the con bonus is instead affecting rounds before death when knocked out.

Arilyn

Hero
One thing that stands out to me is that stat modifier do not appear to affect either hp nor damage? That is in one way quite radical, but it really comes out as a neat simplification I think. It just make sense given the con bonus is instead affecting rounds before death when knocked out.
Not sure about damage but Con does affect hp. In Kelsey's video on how to roll a character, she mentions that even though her wizard has a 6 Con, the negative modifier won't bring the starting hps below 1. Maybe later levels are not affected? I don't have the QuickStart yet.

That poor poor wizard though. 😂

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads