• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowdark opens late pledges next week!

darjr

I crit!
Late Pledges
We're going to open up late pledges next week!

Backerkit again amazes us with its wondrous options, including allowing folks who missed out on the main Kickstarter to flap into the stingbat cave with the rest of us.

I hope to have this live by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week (April 18th or 19th). Stand by for an update when late pledges open up!

29F63204-CE77-4DA2-BC54-897AC0A54185.jpeg

Link

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How is it, really? All the buzz I've heard from YouTubers (Professor DM and Questing Beast for example) seem to be paid testimonials.
I used it to run a two-person foray in Firetop Mountain, adapting the Advanced Fighting Fantasy module. It worked great, with no surprises. It feels deadly, plays very fast.

Retreater

Legend
I see there's a quick start preview - worth a look if I can get it to download from Dropbox (for some reason I always have trouble on that site).
Really depends on if it's a successor to Basic (which isn't my jam) or AD&D.
I have a solid collection of about a half dozen retro clones right now. It will have to be something very unique to get my interest.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I see there's a quick start preview - worth a look if I can get it to download from Dropbox (for some reason I always have trouble on that site).
It's also on DriveThruRPG for $0.
Really depends on if it's a successor to Basic (which isn't my jam) or AD&D.
Neither, IMO. I think it feels like 5E with the feats, skills and most of the overhead jettisoned.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kelsey has said it uses B/X as a foundation, but Shadowdark is definitely not a retroclone.
I saw that she said that, but the end product -- to me, at least -- reads more like B/X in intention and flavor, but not so much in mechanics.

There's a unified XP system, it uses advantage/disadvantage, race and class are separated, there's a unified resolution system, ascending armor class, etc.

I guess she just built up from B/X, making the choices to use modern mechanics throughout, and just ended up at something that resembles a stripped-down 5E without that necessarily being the intention.

In any case, I think it's immensely easy for a 5E DM to run, as most of their existing assumptions hold true.

Remove ads