Shadowfell Keep Map?

Stomphoof

First Post
Do you think a Kinko's could scan and blow up the maps themselves? I suck with graphic editting and would like to have a full scale map made. It would be awesome.

Nebulous

Legend
Hmm...i have no idea about the legalities of posting printable scans from the book. Seems like a gray area, but what do i know? I scanned them in 300 dpi, and yeah, they're big files. I imagine you're spending as much time as i am setting this up. They way i see it, individual users soak up most of the cost with paper and ink and time invested, all WotC needs to provide is maps, available via a service that is paid for already.

Maybe people illegally sharing those maps afterward is a problem they want to avoid. As I mentioned in the other thread, the cartographers did such a great job, it's a shame that the maps can't be used without a good deal of trouble.

Nebulous

Legend
Stomphoof said:
Do you think a Kinko's could scan and blow up the maps themselves? I suck with graphic editting and would like to have a full scale map made. It would be awesome.

Yes, Kinkos could blow up each map section and then print it on a single sheet of paper. But you would be paying an arm and a leg. Unless you worked at Kinkos ;)

Really, i don't know how much that cost, but i imagine roundabout over $100 for the time and paper at Kinkos. But that's just a guess based on nothing. Maybe someone else can clarify better than i can.

Xorn

First Post
Well my company had to have some floorplans printed out for our move, and the black & whites at like 2x3 feet were only like $4 each. Anyway...

As I said, I felt uncomfortable not "yoink."ing my link. If someone can let me know if a disclaimer of, "By downloading this file you are stating that you own H1 - KotS" would make it okay, then I'll un-"yoink." my link.

And Nebulous I spend almost no time on the map. It took a few minutes for the full map scans (took longer to upload them at 45 KB/s). Now I'm actually scanning each "Area" section of the map. I just scanned Area 1, then grabbed a Clone Brush and wiped out the DM info and saved it. 50 pixels/square, 50 dpi print. Ready to go for either VTT or to print. :)

I don't do a full, expansive map though, usually. Just the battle areas we'll need.

Nebulous

Legend
Xorn said:
And Nebulous I spend almost no time on the map. It took a few minutes for the full map scans (took longer to upload them at 45 KB/s). Now I'm actually scanning each "Area" section of the map. I just scanned Area 1, then grabbed a Clone Brush and wiped out the DM info and saved it. 50 pixels/square, 50 dpi print. Ready to go for either VTT or to print. :)

I don't do a full, expansive map though, usually. Just the battle areas we'll need.

Well, it's probably the post-printing aspect that is most time demanding. I just clone squares and drag them over the enemy icons, that's fast, and then resize parts of the map into roughly 8x10 sheets for printing, after i've blown up the full dimension to what i need. It's cutting the white, trimming edges, and taping them together at the seams that takes a while. It's quite fun in a weird way though. Sort of the same way painting minis is relaxing, the time just flies by wih some music on. But, it takes hours and hours.

Remove ads