• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowforce Archer: What to get?

Vrylakos

First Post
ok, folks...

After my Spycraft classbook flip out, it looks like Shadowforce Archer has been targeted by my obsessive game acquisition reflex.

My question is: what SFA books should I get first? I have the Pan Asian Collective. What others would be a good start, considering I'm probably getting one a month?

Vrylakos

Corinth

First Post
Get the SFA hardcover first. After that, decide upon whether or not you're going to abide by the evolving timeline; if so, buy the rest of the books in publication order (not hard; watch for ascending SKU numbers). If not, buy according to interests in terms of new rules as every book has them.

Vrylakos

First Post
Corinth said:
Get the SFA hardcover first. After that, decide upon whether or not you're going to abide by the evolving timeline; if so, buy the rest of the books in publication order (not hard; watch for ascending SKU numbers). If not, buy according to interests in terms of new rules as every book has them.
Hm, in terms of crunchy stuff, assuming I don't go crazy over the evolving timeline, what do people dig? What does each book have to offer?

Also, what do people think of the evolving timeline?

Vrylakos

Merova

First Post
On the Fringe

Vrylakos said:
Hm, in terms of crunchy stuff, assuming I don't go crazy over the evolving timeline, what do people dig? What does each book have to offer?

Hi all!

I really like the Fringe stuff in the Archer Foundation book. The mechanics in the Hand of Glory are pretty good for building up mystical enemies, but fall short on offering significant rules for constructing a viable mystic PC. The European Commonwealth has interesting mechanics for advanced social challenges. The Shop looks to have plenty of techno niftiness as well. :)

Regarding the evolving timeline, I like it, but I'm a long-time fan of metaplots and other such progressive setting elements. YMMV.

---Olivia

Davelozzi

Explorer
Vrylakos said:

Also, what do people think of the evolving timeline?

I like the timeline. I wouldn't adhere to it strictly if I was actually running an SFA campaign but I would mine it for ideas. But it is interesting to read, enough so that I look forward to SFA releases more than core Spycraft.

One problem with is that AEG sucks at keeping up with the interactive serials that are supposed to be published online. I understand that they're free so they're less of a priority, but it's pretty annoying to read about how major setting changes that happened in such and such an interactive serial when the serials are a year behind the books. I'd rather see them scrap the interactive element entirely than blow it off but continue to pretend it's happening.

As for crunchy stuff, before I get into specifics, I will point out that even if the timeline means nothing to you, there's still a good reason to buy things in chronological order of publication, as the books often make references to feats and rules in previous books. If you have all the classbooks you've probably already seen how this is the case in the core line too.

At any rate, off the top of my head...

Archer Foundation - sleuth base class, expanded psionics options (including a few prestige classes), rules for the Fringe (a ghostly realm in some ways similar to D&D's etheral plane).

Hand of Glory - explorer base class, the usual assortment of PrCs, more fringe/mystic stuff

Pan Asian Collective - you already have it but just for the sake of completeness, as this is my favorite one. Martial Artist base class, lots of cool unarmed and melee feats, PrCs, and some power armor.

European Commonwealth - Spin Doctor base class, new PrCs, and rules for celebrity/diplomatic spies. Lots of cool feats for Charisma oriented characters.

African Alliance - I believe the new base class is the High Roller. There's also several PrCs inculding an animal trainer and Commander (a sort of super-spy). Rules for animals. I must be missing something as this is my second favorite in the series, I just haven't looked at it in a few months.

The Shop - I just picked this up yesterday and haven't really had a chance to check it out in detail yet. I believe the new base class is the scientist.

Vrylakos

First Post
Davelozzi said:
As for crunchy stuff, before I get into specifics, I will point out that even if the timeline means nothing to you, there's still a good reason to buy things in chronological order of publication, as the books often make references to feats and rules in previous books. If you have all the classbooks you've probably already seen how this is the case in the core line too.

QUOTE]

Ooh, good to know. Thanks!

I have all the classbooks, and I think as I skimmed them I sort of noted that, but didn't make the intuitive jump and assume that SFA would do the same.

Hm, so is the order you give the order of publication, I assume?

Vrylakos

Davelozzi

Explorer
Vrylakos said:
so is the order you give the order of publication, I assume?

Yep, although I skipped the Shadowforce Archer hardcover, which was the first in the line. I'd second Corinth's recommendation to get that first if you don't already have it. It has the basics of the setting as well as the main chunk of the psionic and mystic rules. Also there are five or so good prestige classes that can easily be ported to core Spycraft campaigns. Hacker and Sniper are two of them that come to mind.

Last edited:

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
I'll add my voice to the choir: since you already have Pan-Asian, get the SFA hardcover next. It's an overall great book. Following that, my favorite is African Alliance, which has a Bond feel. If you're not interested in the unfolding story, you can be happy with the books in whatever order is most interesting for you.

Each Chamber book has a strong individual theme, from the high adventure African Alliance to the gritty and political European Commonwealth and so on. To me, the themes of each book are so strong that I have a hard time imagining an season that uses the setting material from multiple Chamber books together, but it's likely just me.

Regarding your second question, I got in late and so haven't seen the timeline evolve. I don't dig evolving timelines in general, but it's simple enough to take what you want and ignore the shifting parts, which is what I do. So you can be happy if you like them, and happy if you don't.

-Clint

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
Shoot! Forgot one more thing: if you're interested in Spycraft goodness and not just Shadowforce Archer goodness, then definitely check out Most Wanted, by Paradigm. It's a book of villains/foils, with detailed writeups. Each listed character is given at multiple levels (low/mid/high). Also, each NPC has a one-page mock-up case file to give to the PCs during the control briefing, complete with a picture of the NPC in question. (well, you'll have to photocopy them, but still)

I find this book to be useful, and the icing on the cake was that the NPCs use prestige classes and advanced rules from the three Spycraft classbooks, which you said that you said you have. It's nice to have detailed, statted high-level characters who use the advanced rules.

There's a preview .pdf on Paradigm's website, somewhere. (Paradigm's website needs work. Can't even find a current list of products!)

-Clint

Remove ads