• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowgate-like segment. My players don't have the right key.

I was thinking of creating a segment based on the games "Shadowgate", "Uninvited", and "Deja Vu". I'm just wondering, if any of you are familiar with the three adventure games, where to judge the EL of such a segment, and how hard to set the saving throws and other survival chances. This particular kind of player challenge is new to me. I'm more used to shorter segments.

-The party will be separated three ways, representing the above three themes.

-At least five innocuous looking objects that will lead to death, but for a common-sense reason (A book that you can read, but not take, a key guarded by a moat with some fatal hazard, a faux ladder leading to a 100ft drop, and other false leads)

-Multiple options with a vague clue as to the right one, or the right sequence (3 mirrors, with the right one having a subtle difference, 6 items near a dragon, etc.)

-A chasm leading to deep space, hidden in a strange place, but 100% avoidable if you know what you're doing (Shadowgate)

-Riddles in which failure ends in anything from being unable to pass through to death

-Friendly-looking NPCs that might turn out to be UNfriendly if acted on in the wrong way (and ready solutions to them) (Uninvited)

-A mind-altering condition (location TBA) that slowly erodes one person's memory and sanity (causing INT and WIS drain at a fixed rate) (Deja Vu)

-HIGHLY Obscure, yet logical solutions.

-VERY above average combative encounters, also avoidable, and wise to avoid having to fight. If combat is done, there is a chance of victory, but a small one.

-Friends and foes are rarely obvious in this segment. (Deja Vu)

-One of them may be charged with the murder of one or several innocents, and framed GOOD. (Deja Vu)

-VERY Time-limited situations (Uninvited)

-An item that looks valuable, but grants 1 negative level every 3 minutes unless it is turfed.

-At the end (original), combat with optimized, 20th level class characters.

ALL hazards are highly preventable, but highly dangerous, and highly solvable with the right combination of luck, skill and smarts.

EDIT: Changed the keep-out tagline to be less spoily.

Last edited:

Remove ads