• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowrun - Personal Edition

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Okay, so Henry thinks this might be feasible as a thread topic, even though this is not Dumpshock ;) ...so here it is, the thread where all you runners and fixers can show off with the modifications to the rules of whatever edition of SR you prefer. :lol:

As for my own, lets see...all based on SR 1E primarily...

Autofire
The 1E autofire rules were pretty cumbersome, having to roll each bullet separately, resisting it separately, etc. The changes brought in Rigger Black Book mad autofire a "grouped shot", no matter how many bullets your MG spits out. Both a bit extreme, in my tastes. I'm using the "grouped shot" rules for bursts of up to 3 bullets, after that it's spreading autofire. The TN is adjustet by +1 for each bullet after the first (e.g. 5 bullets, first has no mod, 2nd has a +1, 3rd has +2, 4th has +3 and 5th has +4) and the player rolls once. The roll is counted for each bullet, meaning you check the result of your roll against all the modified TNs, and subtract the successes from the enemy's dodge from each bullet's successes. Calculate damage for each bullet, reduce, and that's it. Saves on rolling for each bullet, but doesn't pretend people can group shots on one square-inch with 8 bullets. ;)

Resolution system
Everything is done with your skill. Fire a pistol, roll Firearms, cast a spell, roll Sorcery, modify a program, use Computer. Add dice from your pool, maximum is your skill rank. TN to resist a spell is the spell's Power, same goes for Drain Resistance. Boni from foci etc. raises the TN of the target to resist, but not yours to resist drain. Simple method to streamline most actions.

Dice Pools
Here I borrowed from all over. Took the Combat pool from 2E and ditched Defense and Dodge pool, modified the calculations for all pools so they take dice from attributes mainly. Pools refresh at the start of a combat round, not with every action.

Matrix
Basically I just shuffled around some of the programs' targets and resistances...nothing too major. One thing to remember...if the decker rolls 3 more successes than was necessary to deal with whatever challenge he faced in a node, he can breeze through the node in the same action without having to stop. ;)

TNs
No real changes here...just that I constantly remind myself that in SR, a TN 6 is a hard challenge already, and that nothing should go beyond 12, with very rare exceptions. I reduced the basic TNs for shooting by 1, effectively making them TNs for unmoving targets, and then start adding mods. I also have to say that some of the visibility mods from 3E made the whole combat thing damn hard by raising TNs into the high single-digits alone. One thing to remember...it's supposed to be fun, fast and action-filled. If I wanted "realistic" combat, I'd try Rolemaster. :lol: Shadowrun is deadly enough in its own right, if the GM isn't screwing the TNs into unbearable heights.

Hmmmm, I think that was most of it...oh, yeah, I use the point-buy system and Edges & Flaws from the Companion for character creation. Just is more fun. :D

So, what are your alterations, if any? :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
There is one thing you mention that always got to me with Shadowrun - in most of the places where combats occurred - dark back alleys, black of night, scuffling opponents diving for cover, etc. You had to be a cybered-up-smartlinked-combat-computered street samurai from HELL to hit some of those TNs, when you started counting obscurement, range, etc. In your games, did the people without the image-enhancing equipment, etc. just not even TRY to fire? It's something that's bugged me ever since I was reading SR2 years ago, and it seemed to get worse in 3, as you noted.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Well, if we're talking normal human characters, most who wanted to be frontline gunmen invested at least in laser pointers for the guns or smartshades with added-in low-light or thermographic vision, or both. Stret Samurai catalogue added ultrasound to that ("Hey, I'm the BAT-man...get it? Har har... :p ").

Shooting at somebody in bad lighting was a +2, a running target a +1, both penalties compensated with a little non-cybertech already. With a base TN of 4, it wasn't too hard to hit somebody. Reducing the TNs by 1 before adding the modifiers makes it even easier. For worse circumstances (Full Cover +4, Full Darkness +4)...well, what can I say...2 points of Karma buy you one automatic success anytime. Or invest in some heavy cyber-/biotech.

Some of the edges in the Companion already made it a bit easier, like Skill Aptitude with Firearms skill, which lowers your TN for skill uses by 1. ;)

Pyrex

First Post
Geron Raveneye said:
Autofire
...The roll is counted for each bullet, meaning you check the result of your roll against all the modified TNs, and subtract the successes from the enemy's dodge from each bullet's successes. Calculate damage for each bullet, reduce, and that's it....

That's ... suprisingly elegant. We played a lot of 2E in college and never could come up with a set of autofire mechanics we liked, all-or-nothing on an 8-round burst was a bit silly.

While being a bit of work to track, conceptually this seems to work amazingly well.

dravot

First Post
Although it's been 15 years since I played, we never had a problem hitting our targets...it was always penetrating armor and doing damage that was the issue.

Staffan

Legend
Geron Raveneye said:
The TN is adjustet by +1 for each bullet after the first (e.g. 5 bullets, first has no mod, 2nd has a +1, 3rd has +2, 4th has +3 and 5th has +4) and the player rolls once. The roll is counted for each bullet, meaning you check the result of your roll against all the modified TNs, and subtract the successes from the enemy's dodge from each bullet's successes.
I'm not all that familiar with Shadowrun, but won't this mean that autofire is mainly good for hitting someone hard, not for getting the hit in in the first place? One of the main advantages of autofire in the real world is that you do have a larger chance to hit since you're putting more bullets in the general direction of the target, but if I understand your description correctly, if the first one misses, they all miss.

That was one of my main beefs with autofire in Alternity as well.

Staffan said:
One of the main advantages of autofire in the real world is that you do have a larger chance to hit since you're putting more bullets in the general direction of the target

Whereas I was pretty sure that automatic fire is really used more for supression, rather than actually killing people. That's what your riflemen are for. :)

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Staffan said:
I'm not all that familiar with Shadowrun, but won't this mean that autofire is mainly good for hitting someone hard, not for getting the hit in in the first place? One of the main advantages of autofire in the real world is that you do have a larger chance to hit since you're putting more bullets in the general direction of the target, but if I understand your description correctly, if the first one misses, they all miss.

That was one of my main beefs with autofire in Alternity as well.

Hmmm...I don't know where you got the idea that the advantage of autofire (note: I'm talking about full autofire here, not a sequence of bursts) is that it gives a larger chance of hitting someone? The only advantage of full autofire is that it fills the air with bullets...which is not the same as raising your chances of hitting somebody. Usually, on an assault rifle or a machine gun, once the recoil kicks in, aiming is out of the window, and you're happy if you can keep the thing pointed in the basically same direction. At least that's the experience I have with full autofire. If the first misses, the others will definitely miss, too, except if the target manages to jump into the wandering bullets...which would be a Dodge coming up all 1's. ;)

The point is that most of my training officers back in the army told me to try and squeeze off 2 or 3 rounds maximum...to maximize efficiency. Which would be covered by burst fire rules. Everything else is mainly to force the enemy to keep his head down because the air is filled with lots of lead.

Of course, when you factor in recoil compensation, and maybe a mount, you can work autofire and be a bit more precise. ;)

Edit: I see Patryn was faster. So, anybody else want to share some neat ideas for Shadowrun houserules? :D

Last edited:

Tinner

First Post
Yeah, I have a few.
I like my SR grim & gritty, where the PC's are dirty scum struggling to keep ahead, and tried to help the rules reflect this "Life ain't fair." premise.
One big problem with the SR mechanics is the number 7. It just doesn't exist. Any roll of 6 is automatically a 7. 6=7, which really throws off the curve.
To make things a little tougher, we instituted the 7=6 for bad guys, 7=8 for PC's rule.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Ouch...right...missed that one. :confused:

Exploding Dice
Each time you reroll a 6, you subtact 1 from the next roll, unless it's a 6, too.

Sorry...heh...overlooked the one I use the longest. :heh:

Remove ads