• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadows of Greyhawk Campaign

Jade Solstar

First Post
This is for the tales of the those brave adventurers in the realm of Greyhawk in the Shadows of Greyhawk Campign that I am running. The PC's and noteable NPC's can be found in the Rogue's Gallery for more background on each character.
I hope everyone enjoys themselves!

CAMPAIGN GUIDELINES

I just wanted to touch base and set out the guidelines for the campaign from my side...

1)When a roll is called for I will TRUST each person to make it and then post the appropriate results. Please use real dice so that we get a true dice roll. If you cannot roll your own dice just let me know and I will do it for you.

2)When posting please use following methods
"BOLT TEXT" when speaking aloud in character
>ITALIC TEXT< when thinking with your character
[OOC-] when taking actions or for any other reasons

3)I allow 1 "Hero Point" to each character at every level to be used to reroll any 1 die roll if the initial result is undesired. These can accumulate but you can never use more than 1 per encounter. I feel this gives players more control for achieving a desired result or to avoid failing an important save or what have you. These have always worked well for my home campaign.

4)As the game progresses I would like each person to keep their character in the Rogue's Gallery updated so that I have access to your charcaters current information at any time.

5)If someone is going to be unable to post for an extended period please let us all know.

6)Let all have fun and remember if you ever have a question just ask or send me an email or look for me on aol...all the info is on my profile here.

I hope we all have a memorable and fun time!
dave

Last edited:

Jade Solstar

First Post
Campaign Introduction

You have each found your way to the widely famed and world renowned Free City of Greyhawk in the central Flanaess on the world known as Oerth. It is the Common Year 591 and the year is just about to begin. The week long mid-winter festival known as Needfest has just finished and everyone is going back to work on Starday which is tommorow for you, as tonight is the last night of the festival.
Any of you who choose to attend the festivities were amazed and astonished by the exotic variety of shows and peoples. From the cockatrice who turned frogs to stone, which I am sure Dennis didnt like watching with Gilda, to the pegasus rides which only the wealthiest could afford... People from all races and walks of life are to be found during a festival more so than usual in the Free City. Their is fun and revelry to be had throughout the week...
The warm and illuminating light of Pelor breaks through the clouds on the moring of Starday as usual to start a new week and year of work. Each of you takes care of your normal morning routine and goes into the marketplace, where everyone in the Free City knows is the place to find work and sometimes adventure for the bravest of souls...
As the day progressess you are each approached in turn by an older half-elven woman. She has long flowing frost white hair peppered with strands of black hair. Her eyes are a bright green and seem to instill a sense of compassion when she looks at you. She is wearing a finely crafted orange robe with golden thread highlighting it. She has a beautifully crafted silver necklace with a single opal pendant hanging on it. She seems to lean slightly on a darkwood staff that has intricate elven engravings covering it. Her voice is a soothingly soft tone yet has a strength in it when she speaks.

"Greetings and good travels young adventurer, I am Lady Dalisandrea Sunshadow. Ah do not be suprised that I know you seek adventure for that is why so many gather here. I myself once came here many years ago in search of adventure and I found that and much, much more. But the years have worn on me now and I am fast approaching my 100th birthday...but such ponderings you dont want to hear I am sure. I would seek to offer you a job and a place in a group of others like yourself, you see I am in need of assitance to retrieve something I lost many years ago and would be willing to reward each of you handsomely if you are able to return to me. I would give each of 50 platinum crowns and a magical potion as your reward, not to mention whatever else you may find while retrieving my hierloom. I would ask that you meet me later this evening for dinner at the Golden Griffon Tavern in the northern section of the city, shall we say around 7ish ? Good then its settled, meet me then and I will introduce you to those whom you'll be travelling with. Here is a platinum crown for your time, fare day to you..."
[DM- each character gains 1 platinum crown.]

Last edited:

Jade Solstar

First Post
THe Golden Griffon Tavern

As you draw closer to the Golden Griffon Tavern you can definetly tell you are no longer in the common district but in the wealthier part of town. The houses and businesses though dimly lit at this late in the day still are astonishing in the architecture and craftsmanship. As you are marvelling at the wide variety of buildings that follow the walkway you almost pass the tavern as you quickly realize it seems quaintly out of place. It has the appearance of a tavern you would see anywhere, nothing to extravagant, no fancy wood carvings or exotic materials like so many other buildings around it! A simple wooden sign hangs above it proclaiming you have arrived at your destination. It doesnt appear very crowded outside, actually it is eerily quiet for a tavern...
Once you enter you realize the tavern is emply of people, behind the bar an older human man with a beaming smile hails you "Greetings young master, I am Frick. Welcome to my humble tavern, though I do not get visitors very often anymore I always welcome them...I understand you are here to meet the Lady Sunshadow, well dont fret she will be along soon enough I am sure. Have a seat here at the bar and let me get you a drink and some fresh baked sweetbread while we wait for the others to arrive. Now what do ya' want ole Frick ta fix ya' to drink then ? hmm" Frick is garbed in a white tunic and brown pants, he also has a red apron on that has a gold threaded griffon image on it. He has a bald head and blue sparkling eyes that dont seem to show the age his body does...
[DM-I would like for each person as they arrive to make a Spot Check and include that with your initial response upon entering the bar and speaking with Frick]

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Enter Gilda

The young Gnome woman enters the tavern and listens to Frick. She climbs up to the bar and says "Howdy! I'm Gilda and this.." A large brown and tan toad hops out of her purse "Is Dennis. We would love some bread and some water for Dennis and cold milk for myself. So what do you know about the Lady SunShadow?"

Spot Check 15 (rolled 16-1 for Wis)

Jade Solstar

First Post
With a large grin Frick breaks off a piece of bread and sets it in front of Dennis and begins speaking "Well if we had a few weeks I could spin you some right good tales Lady Gilda. Why back almost fifty years now we used to travel together, if it weren't for those days well I'd never have gotten the money for this bar. She is a kind women she is, gentle as a summer breeze they used to say..." Frick then sets a bowl of water on the bar for Dennis and places a large tankard of milk in front of you. Then he continues talking away..."Yeah those were the days they were...Wish I had the energy now I had back then, yes indeed I do. Lady Dalisandrea should be along shorty now I am sure. Now where did I leave that wine bottle ?" Frick then starts moving about behind the bar apparently looking for a bottle of wine...

[DM-At this point I want to wait for another character to come in as you should all be getting there about the same time.]
[DM-Please remember to BOLD or ITALICS or [] your text thanks]

maddmic

Explorer
Brenbold reads the sign for a second time before entering the tavern. As he enters the tavern, he shakes the dust off of his cloak as it is more than a bit dirty from the day's walking. Looking around he sees that the tavern is relatively empty. grabbing his beard, he tugs on it a bit and then approaches the bar. Sitting down on a stool, he listens to Frick and then responds in a typical gruff voice. "Ah, I'll take an ale if you've got anything back there resembling a dwarven brew. If ya don't, then I'll still take an ale I guess. I do believe that I could use a bite to eat as well. Something to fill my stomach that won't disagree with my drink if you will good sir."

He looks at the gnome and nods. He then notices the toad on the bar and looks a bit quizically at it, especially since it's eating and drinking a bit. Having seen that, he gets Frick's attention again. "I don't suppose you got another bowl I could use for some water do ya? I too have a small friend who I know is more than a bit hungry. He dosn't like it much when I frequent the marketplace cuz I tend to forget about him until it's past his dinner time." With that he pulls out a hedgehog and places it to the right of him on the bar. Once he has his ale, he raises the mug to the Gnome and to Frick. "Here's to a long and prosperous life." With that, he takes a drink and begins to eat hungrily sharing a bit with his companion.

OOC:
Rolled a 14 for spot. Are we going to be doing our own rolls?

Last edited:

Jade Solstar

First Post
As you situate yourself at the bar Brenbold, Frick quicly places another bowl of water on the counter and with a smile says "Well now Master Dwarf I don't believe I got your name yet... How's about you tell me a little something about yourself while I get a frothing tankard of my finest dwarven ale all the way from yer' kinfolk in Irongate! Strongest ale I've seen years, if I do say so myself" Frick places two tankards of ale and some sweetbread in front of Brenbold and then lifts his own tankard high with your toast saying "Here, Here! Now that is something to toast. Now I don't reckon I have ever seen anything quiet like that their, what do you call that spiny little bugger ? Cute as a kitten it is but dangerous to I figure from the looks of it..." Frick then turns his tankard up one more time for a large gulp and then starts to rummage behind the bar...

[DM-I've copied the campaign guidelines at the top of this page in the first thread in regards to rolling dice, etc... As always any ?'s just let me know.]

Last edited:

Majin

First Post
Damien tromped through the snow entering the city of Greyhawk. When he emerged, the snow didn't appear to have soaked any bit of him. Some passerby stared at him, expecting him to be frozen solid and wet from the snow, but he just smirked as he passed them, thanking his parents for gifting him with the families treasure before he left.

His thoughts sprang back to when he left. His parents begging him to reconsider. To at least go on his journey to find himself and hopefully come to the conclusion that he belonged back home. They wished him to come back with much experience from the road and take his rightful place on the throne. Come back and rule the kingdom? Not likely, but it's always a last resort I guess.

Looking around it appeared that the midwinter festival was coming to an end. Damien was pleased at this, as he was always uncomfortable around large gatherings of the commonfolk.

[Insert encounter with Dalisandrea]

He made his way for the Golden Griffon Tavern. He scanned the room as he entered. [Spot check - 18 + 1 = 19]

His glance ended up on the two at the bar. A Gnome and Dwarf respectively, and both of them appeared to have pets on the bar sharing food and drink with them. What is this a zoo?, Damien thought as he took an empty seat two places away from the Dwarf. "I'll have your best wine from Keoland if you have it bartender."

He stared at the animals again for a second and then resumed his scanning of the rest of his surroundings while he waited.

Edit: Typos

Last edited:

Jade Solstar

First Post
With a sincere smile Frick looks at Damien as he sits and says "I would offer you the finest vintage to come from Niole Dra in Keoland in over 50 years but I seem to have misplaced it. Lady Dalkisandrea asked me to have a couple of bottles ready for your dinner later and now I cannot for the life of me find where I placed them...hmmmm now where could I have put it ? Now, now- anyways kind sir let me get you a glass of my second finest wine, coming from the Free City herself. Guaranteed to satisfy the most discriminating of palates!" With a quick gesture that would seem to betray his many years of age Frick places a glass of deep red wine in front of you and continues about behind the bar looking for his apparently lost bottles of wine...

Last edited:

Majin

First Post
Damien gave a curt nod to Frick and brought the glass close to his nose and sniffed it. He swirled it around a few times before taking a timid sip. He tasted it for a few seconds before taking another sip. "You speak the truth good barkeep. This wine is quite good. Not quite as good as my particular brand, but good nontheless."

He watched Frick for a few more seconds before adding, "I'm pleasantly surprised that Lady Dalisandrea has such good taste as to choose such a spectacular beverage as my homeland's wine for dinner this evening. I'm sure it will be a splendid meal."

Remove ads