• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shaman's Spirit Companion Questions

keterys

First Post
Scorching Burst is an Area burst 1 within 10 squares, not a 'Range' attack at all.

I believe that spirit companions are immune to the _damage_ from area and close attacks (in that you can't kill them that way), but are still vulnerable to effects.

For example, Phantom Chasm could still immobilize it.

Maybe that's what is meant. Interesting that it's immune to opportunity attacks - though with the amount of resistance to damage it has, it was already immune to most opportunity attacks :)

KlassyReborn

First Post
Ok, so here's my quick question about spirit companions, a 2nd level utility power says that you can move you spirit companionS. Does this mean you can conjure any number of spirits? I couldn't locate if/where in PHB2 they had a limit. If you can have an infinite number, i say that shamans can easily be broken, especially with a few feats

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Ok, so here's my quick question about spirit companions, a 2nd level utility power says that you can move you spirit companionS. Does this mean you can conjure any number of spirits? I couldn't locate if/where in PHB2 they had a limit. If you can have an infinite number, i say that shamans can easily be broken, especially with a few feats

I assume you mean Spirit Call.

PHB II p123
Target: Each of your Shaman conjurations and zones in burst

It doesn't say Spirit Companions, it's talking about conjurations and zones, which are different. Ancient Warlord's Inspiration (Level 9 Daily, p125) is a conjuration in case you need an example. Since you could conceivably have multiple conjurations or zones active at once, Spirit Call allows you to move them, plain and simple. It's not indicating that you have multiple Spirit Companions.

Tonester

First Post
From my understanding of the rules, Conjurations can only be damaged by attacks that specifically target it. Blast and Burst attacks would work, but only if it can somehow target a creature and not an area. For example, some powers target a creature, but do damage in a burst 1 around it. If the conjuration is the target of the power, it would take the damage. If it is in the burst 1 around some target, it would not take the damage.

My question is about movement.

How does movement and a conjuration work?

yenya

First Post
I think it's always specified in the power. Cleric's movable conjurations move at cost of his move action, meaning he stays put (unfortunately). When shaman spends a move action, both he and the spirit can move, the spirit has shaman's speed.
Is that what you were asking?

DracoSuave

First Post
My question is about movement.

How does movement and a conjuration work?

1) It can be affected by anything that explicitly targets conjurations. So the shaman power that moves zones and conjurations CAN move the spirit companion, because it IS a conjuration. Dispel Magic can destroy a spirit companion instantly (no damage is done to you this way), and Devour Magic can eat it.

2) Conjurations also cannot normally be targetted by attacks. Melee and ranged attacks are the exception to that rule (explicitly laid out). Close and area attacks are NOT melee and NOT ranged attacks. So no, you -cannot- target or otherwise affect a spirit companion with them (except if they -explicitly- can target conjurations, see 1)

3) Conjurations do not move by default. Spirit Companions, however, have a caveat that -permits- them to move at the same time you use a move action. Bear in mind that you cannot move the spirit companion out of range (20 squares from you) and if you move 20 squares away from the companion, or if line of effect is broken between you and the companion, then your companion ceases to exist immediately.

As an aside:

Blast and Burst attacks would work, but only if it can somehow target a creature and not an area.

Blasts and Bursts often target -explicitly- creatures in their area. Sometimes it's one creature only (Healing Word), sometimes it's all creatures (Scorching Burst), and sometimes it differentiates between allies and enemies. But, if the Target line mentions creatures, allies, or enemies, it -explicitly- targets those. It's the rule, not the exception.

Also, regarding the OP:

Conjurations cannot flank by default, so neither do Spirit Companions (without the obvious exception of course)
Conjurations cannot trigger OAs. Only creatures can, by default.

Most of these questions can be answered by reading the section on Conjurations in PHB2, at the back of the book.

Kinneus

Explorer
I think I have it mostly figured out now. But three things:

1) If somebody could point me to a source to the whole "Immune to Opportunity Attacks" thing, that'd be great.

2) Does the Spirit Companion provide cover for allies behind it?

3) In the Call Spirit Companion power, it says you can dismiss it as a minor action. Calling it is itself a minor action. Does this mean you could dismiss it and re-summon it in another location? Essentially 'teleporting' your spirit around in a Close burst 20? That seems fairly powerful, but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't.

Dragonblade

Adventurer

1) If somebody could point me to a source to the whole "Immune to Opportunity Attacks" thing, that'd be great.

3) In the Call Spirit Companion power, it says you can dismiss it as a minor action. Calling it is itself a minor action. Does this mean you could dismiss it and re-summon it in another location? Essentially 'teleporting' your spirit around in a Close burst 20? That seems fairly powerful, but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't.

Regarding number 3, this is one the coolest things about the sprit companion. You summon as a Minor, make your attack as a Standard and then dismiss as a Minor. Effectively making your companion immune to counter-attack.

The drawback of such a tactic is that the bonuses and/or penalties that the companions give to adjacent allies and enemies would not come into play. So its a tradeoff.

DracoSuave

First Post

Conjurations are not creatures, they are effects with the Conjuration keyword. You can't OA a Flaming Sphere, nor a Mage Hand. The -exact- same logic applies here. Only creatures can trigger OAs.

Powers with the Summoning keyword DO bring forth creatures, and that's where the confusion lies. Spirit Companions do NOT have the Summoning keyword. Really. Read the power.

Conjurations do not interrupt line of sight or line of effect by default. Nothing in the Spirit Companion description overrides this.

Absolutely you can. This might be a very agreeable alternative to simply moving it if you're surrounded by enemies on two fronts and you want to get that Turducken in position -now-.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads