WotC Shannon Appelcline the layoffs and the OGL fiasco.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Probably. It's just about possible it's sitting on someone's to-do list and really bugging them, enough that they get it done just to clear the item. I've had tasks like that in the past - objectively low priority, but like an itch that demands to be scratched.

This scenario, to me, is the absolute most plausible one. Brink (or whoever championed it in the first place) is likely fretting about it, wishing that he could get it done, while being drawn to a billion other things. Whether they ever get the chance (assuming they even still work there) is... unknown.

This scenario, to me, is the absolute most plausible one. Brink (or whoever championed it in the first place) is likely fretting about it, wishing that he could get it done, while being drawn to a billion other things. Whether they ever get the chance (assuming they even still work there) is... unknown.
Looks at my own list of work priorities, noting the items I wish I had accomplished this year but ended up having to slide them to next year

Sounds reasonable to me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How so? WotC issued an updated SRD for 3.5e, including materials that hadn't previously been opened.

In fact, IIRC the OGL wasn't actually a particularly big deal in 2003. Most third-party publishers were instead using the d20 license (as that allowed, indeed required, them to declare compatibility). The OGL really took off in 2004 when WotC changed the conditions of the d20 license to add a "morality clause" - that in response to "The Book of Erotic Fantasy".
That’s not correct. We (publishers) used the OGLand the d20 STL in conjunction with each other. They are two different licenses for different things. The former we used to access the game content in the SRD. The latter was for use of a logo, namely the d20 system trademark logo. It’s not one or the other and they don’t do the same thing.

darjr

I crit!
This.

I'd bet he want's it done. I also think the 5.1 translation was a surprise, and I would have thought the harder project. That is a bigger deal than I think it gets credit for.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That’s not correct. We (publishers) used the OGLand the d20 STL in conjunction with each other. They are two different licenses for different things. The former we used to access the game content in the SRD. The latter was for use of a logo, namely the d20 system trademark logo. It’s not one or the other and they don’t do the same thing.
I still think that a new STL, putting more on the table (like being able to say Dungeons & Dragons Compatible" instead of "d20") and having some community standards would have been a smart idea for WotC.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This.

I'd bet he want's it done. I also think the 5.1 translation was a surprise, and I would have thought the harder project. That is a bigger deal than I think it gets credit for.
The first that xame up was Teos asking if that was poasible when Brink was on hia show, IIRC Brink seemed surprised and said he would look into it.

Plausible scenario: their internal localized may have been downright enthusiastic to have a decent sized project that they could point to accomplishing while waiting for the new '24 material to he ready to translate, amd any nervous stakeholders were probsvly not worried about re-releasing the exact same material in a different language.

Part of me wonders if older edition SRDs may have also been deemed to be 50th Anniversary Celebration worthy material?

darjr

I crit!
The first that xame up was Teos asking if that was poasible when Brink was on hia show, IIRC Brink seemed surprised and said he would look into it.

Plausible scenario: their internal localized may have been downright enthusiastic to have a decent sized project that they could point to accomplishing while waiting for the new '24 material to he ready to translate, amd any nervous stakeholders were probsvly not worried about re-releasing the exact same material in a different language.

Part of me wonders if older edition SRDs may have also been deemed to be 50th Anniversary Celebration worthy material?
I wonder. If it were me I’d have the localization team working with the designers or at least taking in their output even if drafts.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder. If it were me I’d have the localization team working with the designers or at least taking in their output even if drafts.
Wouldn't surprise me if they do! Also would not surprise me if the 5.1 translations also are part of thst work: most of the rules are staying the same, after all.

Remove ads