• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shapechang question

Anthelios

First Post
I know this is a weird question, since 3.5 is almost finished with, but here it goes.

I'm running my second attempt at a epic game, 21st level currently, and I've ran into some problems I've never had to deal with in all my years of gaming. The biggest one has been from the druid using the shapechange spell. Mainly, I have two questions:

1.) He transformed into a dragon to use the breathweapon. So lets say he chooses an adult green dragon and breaths. The next round he tries to transform into a "Different adult green dragon". Would this immediately recharge his breath weapon? Does turning into a different dragon recharge the breath weapon?

2.) Does shapechange heal you every round when you transform, or just the first? It says its functions like polymorph, which heals you when you change but not when you change back. Does taking a different form count as assuming a form or is it just the first? 21 hp as a free action every round for 210 minutes is pretty insane. (44,100 hp healed)

Is some of this covered in the rules compendium?

Last edited:

darthkilmor

First Post
Anthelios said:
1.) He transformed into a dragon to use the breathweapon. So lets say he chooses an adult green dragon and breaths. The next round he tries to transform into a "Different adult green dragon". Would this immediately recharge his breath weapon? Does turning into a different dragon recharge the breath weapon?

2.) Does shapechange heal you every round when you transform, or just the first? It says its functions like polymorph, which heals you when you change but not when you change back. Does taking a different form count as assuming a form or is it just the first? 21 hp as a free action every round for 210 minutes is pretty insane. (44,100 hp healed)

I would vote No, and No.

The entry on breathe weapons says if you have more than one breathe weapon then you still have to wait 1d4 rounds, if you need a little rules-backing.

DiceGolem

First Post
I agree - you should say that he'll need to wait the 1d4 rounds to use another breath weapon, perhaps even in different forms. Changing between different dragon colors to get a different breath weapon each round is pretty ridiculous...

KingCrab

First Post
I don't know if I'd want future players of mine to use the changing into a different green dragon trick, but I'd think that by changing into a different creature you would get to breathe again.

Quartz

Hero
Suppose that the druid changes into something non-draconic that has a breath weapon? Like a behir.

The Polymorph spells have been heavily errataed, IIRC, but I can't find the specific erratum.

IMHO Same dragon type = wait; different dragon type, fire immediately. As for the healing, at Epic levels, 21 HP is pretty small beer. It may provide the edge, though, so I'd grant it.

jensun

First Post
I would say yes and yes.

If this is the most broken thing your player can come up with using Shapechange then count your blessings.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads