• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shapeshifting?

kyberus

First Post
Well, I was looking around on the wizards board, and the one here, and I thought to myself -> is there any "pure" shapeshifting class?

True, there are various builds of druids that can focus in it, heavily, (or sorcerers, but the low hitpoints and base attack bonus look a little bit like death on wheels, plus, it doesn't... fit)

but even if you focus on shapeshifting, most of the options really don't look like they beat the shapeshift spell and its supernatural abilities (other ones only get EX, no?) / turn into outsiders/ actually go past 15 hitdice (for the sorceror/master transmuter?).

This results in the ironic reality that a level 17 pure druid w/ shapeshift is going to be a lot better at it than a druid 5/MoMF X/something (warshaper? nature's warrior?) level 20 and still have full druid spellcasty goodness.

Am I wrong in this? Is there an alternative or would it be better to just design a new class and be done with it?

Tric

First Post
Well, you can have any opinion on this. Shapechange is better in some ways, but you get fewer uses per day and get it much later, at least.

Master Transmogrifist is nice, it's 10th level ability is very cool indeed (get fly speed with a plant to get the "roots and wings"...), but myself I prefer Druid/MoMF/Warshaper/Nature's Warrior.

Finally, Wildshaping Ranger from UA is a good bet, or so I've heard. It gives you full BAB, Endurance (which is a prereq for MoMF) and a few other things. But of course, if you don't like Wild Shaping mentioning it would just be a waste of time.

Sorcerer/Master Transmogrifist would probably suit you best. With good cha, you can get lots of polymorph per day, and while getting Shapechange will be delayed until Level 23 (Sorcerer 13/Master Transmogrifist 10), you'll have lots of candy to play around with until then... At least that's my preliminary analysis.

Tric out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads