• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shar (Forgotten Realms) - Help me find this flower refenence plz!

sorites

First Post
I seem to remember reading something about a flower in reference to Shar, the goddess from Forgotten Realms. I cannot find anything about it now that I'm looking, but I'm almost positive I read it somewhere.

Is there a flower associated with Shar?

It might have been some kind of magic item or something (maybe a relic?).... Anyone recall anything about this?

I was thinking it might have been something like a Black Orchid or something like that, but I can't find anything. Also, for some reason, I was thinking I'd read about it in Magic of Faerun, but I've skimmed that book a couple of times now and can't find what I'm looking for.

Hopefully someone can help so I don't go crazy! :)

Persiflage

First Post
I think you're getting your goddesses mixed up...

Faiths and Avatars said:
During her travels, Lady Luck discovered a budding rose of unequaled beauty. Delighted with this fortuitous happenstance, Tyche reached to pluck this delightful token, which she assumed was a peace overture from Lathander, who sought to regain her good graces. Much to her amazement, Lady Luck could not pluck the rose from its bush no matter how hard she tried. Frustrated, she cursed the rose with bad luck, and the flower's stem broke in her hands. Carelessly, Tyche stuck the plucked rose behind her ear and continued on her way.

Unbeknownst to Tyche, the rose was a manifestation of Moander, god of corruption and decay. The severed rose stem crept into Tyche's ear and subtly began to rot her from the inside out. Lady Luck now suffered from misfortune, and it sprang from her own careless hand.

I suspect this is what you remember; I don't think I've ever heard of any reference to Shar and a flower!

sorites

First Post
Hmm... The flower behind the ear bit does sound familiar.... Maybe you're right, though that passage didn't really click with me. Anyway, thanks for replying. =)

sorites

First Post
No, I hadn't. Just checked it out, thanks. It seems like I must be crazy after all. But since I've already made it a point of fact in my game, I guess my insanity is my players' reality. Eh, it won't be the first time. :D

Crust

First Post
I think you might be referring to the Camillia of the Black Lady, from the FR book Champions of Ruin. It's a wondrous item on pages 42-43. It also appears in the CoR web enhancement module Vanrakdoom. We ran through that module about a year ago, which is why I remember the flower. ;)

sorites

First Post
I think you might be referring to the Camillia of the Black Lady, from the FR book Champions of Ruin. It's a wondrous item on pages 42-43. It also appears in the CoR web enhancement module Vanrakdoom. We ran through that module about a year ago, which is why I remember the flower. ;)

You, sir, are the man. You nailed it. That's exactly what I had in my head. Thank you for proving that I am not a complete raving lunatic. You even gave me the page numbers. Bonus XP to you.

It turns out the flower is not associated with Shar after all, but with a Sharran assassin known as the Black Lady. And the flower is white, not black. I was thinking black orchid, for some reason, but it's actually a white camellia.

Now that I know how this relates, I think I'm going to introduce this Black Lady into the history of my campaign. We're going to say that she is responsible for the deep, secret partnership Sharrans and Banites share within the city of Zhentil Keep. The flower symbol is a holdover from the actual flower worn by the Black Lady, and that's why it's used to secretly and discretely denote a Sharran agent. In fact, it wasn't that long ago that Bane was resurrected and Fzoul took control of the city. This Black Lady might even still be in the city today.

Awesome. :]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads