Share your Keeper methods of setting the Cthulhu Mood...

cybernetic

Explorer
as stated previously...we use flashlights for light and play around midnight....so when I describe key scenes...I'll actually have one of the players "mess" with the other player's minds While I walk around in the dark speaking by touching their shoulders softly...making small noises like rats scratching at the walls...and whatnot.......

another time we played in a living room with a single lamp that had a red light bulb......and I used a fog machine to fill the room..................there was so much fog that you could only see less than a foot in front of your face.....it was crazy.......we were all sitting on the couch or in chairs...and I had an "extra" player (who's character had died earlier that nite) crawl on the floor and pop out of the fog in front of a player who's character was attacked by the monstrosity they where hunting.....

adndgamer

First Post
Man, I feel a trip to town coming on... I'm gonna buy fog machine (I found you can get good ones for $50-70), and red and blue lights :) Maybe an oil lamp too if I can find one.

Hm. On second thought, I think I'll buy 'em online. Thanks again for the ideas :)

Bagpuss

Legend
Split the party when ever possible.

Provide multiple places where research needs to be done then limit the time that it can be done in. That tends to force the group to split up.

Don't always take a player out of a room when something terrible is about to happen to them that other players would not know about. Torture the other players by letting them know the horror that awaits them while they are unable to do anything to save their friend.

Cut between the different groups never spending more than a few minutes describing events at each scene, build lots of "mini-cliffhangers" into the switching. Say one group is researching 'alone' in a library have then hear a book fall off a shelf a few rows down, but then switch to the other group. This allows the tension and suspence to build.

cybernetic

Explorer
The den we play in is linked to 3 other rooms...well the kitchen..the garage...and a rather large closet...so 1 room and two other places....which tend to be spooky at night...(i have six little dogs that live in the kitchen.....

anywyaz... I use these other rooms for when characters split up...I'll usually give each group descriptions of where they are verbally then a typed out version so they can decide what they do while i'm with the other group...occasionally I'll even have a second Keeper managing one group (usually a deceased character's player)

Remove ads