• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sharks frenzy

DragonMan

First Post
Hello

I am just putting the finishing touches on a fully aquatic pathfinder campaign. I have one issue that I'm still grappling with.

In combat, a lot of blood is spilled from regular combat or from bleeders. As we know sharks are attracted to blood, they can smell it a mile away.

My question is how often would sharks arrive after combat? A generic shark is CR 3 and I don't want to overwhelm my players with a shark frenzy after every combat.

ccs

41st lv DM
You're the DM, you're fully in control of where sharks are at any given moment. What do you want the odds to be?

But if you want something random:
I suggest a random distance roll. 1=within 1 mile, 2-4=within 2 miles, 5-6=3+ miles away.
If 1 mile is rolled, then use a random # app to determine the exact # of feet. I'd probably start that # at about 3 rounds until the sharks are within the longest sight range of the PCs.
To save some time at the table create yourself a chart ahead of time noting how many rounds it'll take the sharks to arrive from any given point within that mile.

If a shark is a mile away and smells blood, it still only travels at the speed of a shark. Unless the characters are just going to hang around after the fight, or they don't bother to heal their wounds before swimming away, they should be long gone by the time a shark arrives.

DragonMan

First Post
If a shark is a mile away and smells blood, it still only travels at the speed of a shark. Unless the characters are just going to hang around after the fight, or they don't bother to heal their wounds before swimming away, they should be long gone by the time a shark arrives.

That's a really good point.

If a shark is a mile away and double moves toward the blood in the water, then it will take about 4.5 minutes for it to show up.

Who cares about realism? ;)
Sharks will show up when it helps to advance the story!

And whenever they happen to want to explore a shipwreck.

There's just something about shipwrecks that just automatically teleports quantum-sharks into the vicinity, along with their own music.

Celebrim

Legend
Assign a commonality to aggressive sharks in the area. Then, whenever there is a combat that sheds blood, there is a percentage chance of sharks arriving in 1d6 minutes because on how common sharks are in the area.

1) Ubiquitous - Even before combat began, the PC's can see that sharks are regularly patrolling these waters. 100% chance, and more sharks will arrive every 1d6 minutes for up to 30 minutes.
2) Common - This is the sort of location that sharks frequent in large numbers, such as the deep ocean side of a barrier reef or a warm water current that passes near land where prey fish are abundant. PC's in the area for any significant length of time will see sharks. 75% chance
3) Uncommon - This is the sort of location that sharks are well known to occur in. If you've spent a day or two in the area, you will have seen a shark. 50% chance
4) Rare - This is the sort of location that sharks can occur in, but are comparatively rare, such as warm water open ocean. On the other hand, food is rare here as well, so sharks will have greater motivation to investigate. 10% chance
5) Very Rare - Sharks can live in these waters, but a lack of abundant large prey means that there is also a decided lack of aggressive sharks - such as cold water open ocean, deep ocean reefs, and so forth. 1% chance.
6) Absent - Aggressive sharks just don't live here. 0% chance of attracting sharks.

Remove ads