D&D (2024) Sharp shooter/Great Weapon Mastery

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
This is splitting hairs. The player faces no cost or risk to declaring that they pick a lock. It is only when there is a meaningful failure state that you roll, but the action has no inherent cost or risk.

However, even if I grant you that these skills have an inherent risk because there would be no roll without that risk, then I must ask why that same risk doesn't cover the help action? You can't grant advantage to a roll without a roll taking place, so whatever consequence of failure the person making the skill check faces, the person granting advantage to that skill check faces. Why is that not enough for the Help Action, but it is enough for the use of the skill itself?

It’s the same principle of reward for risk. If there is zero cost or risk for helping, then it’s a no-brainer to use it. In case you’ve missed the pattern to everything I’ve been saying, it’s that no-brainer decisions are uninteresting in a game and are poor game design. It seems you disagree, which is fine, but it’s been the consistent foundation under everything I’ve been saying.

Okay but.... I've not mentioned Spare the Dying once?

Sorry. Read it wrong.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Right, which is why I like the change to the rule that says "The DM has final say on whether your assistance is possible."
Interestingly, that's the part I felt like you were ignoring when you described what I was suggesting as homebrewing. I had meant for you to invoke this! If you find a scenario that you feel doesn't make sense without help working - let it work!

I agree with you that is what they seem to be doing, I'm just not sure it is a good change. It seems to be... I don't think "siloing" is the correct term, but it seems to be pushing the game towards a model where only one person is involved in the skill check most of the time.

I'm not sure that's the intent - I think the intent is to make each roll more important. That's part of why (AFAICT) they've been pushing the "don't roll unless there is interesting consequences". I think they're trying to teach DMs to be both more generous to player input, and also to not let a bad roll derail the story that's being told.

proficiency you think applies, you just tune out of the situation, because you cannot in any way assist. Having Guidance means you only are going to pay attention until you use it once. Bardic inspiration is far more limited. It feels like moving from an (admittedly not perfect) paradigm of "okay team, how can we do this" to "I work alone"

I'm not sure there's danger in that happening. I can't imagine the designers ever intending to make the rules interfere with team building and teamwork. I mean, I guess it could happen with unintended consequences? I'd hope not.

And I don't think that's a good direction.

Absolutely. It would be a bad direction.

Notably, this brings up the second portion of the Help action. In combat, Help is unchanged. Have an action, use it, advantage on an attack.

True. As an aside, Help is an action and Flanking is "free" (with positioning). Both are pretty much narratively the same thing. I approve of the Help action in combat, but I don't like Flanking (which I also find more fiddly rules-wise than its worth).

It is only in skills that it has become more limited.

I get where you're coming from now. You just don't want any barriers to players using teamwork to accomplish goals. It's an excellent motive.

So, yeah, now it is only possible to get advantage with two trained individuals working together.

Unless the DM says otherwise, yes.

I really don't like this.

Fair. I think it's fine, but I guess I'd be fine to rule against it often, so maybe I'd rather it was changed. Another place where I'd probably rule against it is in situations where one skill might be complimentary to another skill (Like good-cop bad-cop in an interrogation. One could argue that one character's intimidation could give advantage to another's persuasion!)

From my p.o.v. it's not about what's more common or, god forbid, realistic, but simply what makes playing the game require more thought and more non-obvious decisions.

I think I understand what you mean, and it's a consideration to be sure. Honestly, there are a lot of factors involved and I'm not sure which are the most important. (I'm with you on "realism" it can be such a burden. What we need are more story-telling tools. It really doesn't matter if the story winds up "realistic" - it's more if it winds up any "good" - as measured by player and DM satisfaction!

Chaosmancer

Legend
Sorry. Read it wrong.

No problem.

It’s the same principle of reward for risk. If there is zero cost or risk for helping, then it’s a no-brainer to use it. In case you’ve missed the pattern to everything I’ve been saying, it’s that no-brainer decisions are uninteresting in a game and are poor game design. It seems you disagree, which is fine, but it’s been the consistent foundation under everything I’ve been saying.

I have gotten that point from you, but it seems to be a very inconsistent position. For example, let us take the Medicine Action I was just talking about it. It is a DC 10 medicine check. Now, I'm going to take this out of combat for a moment, because we are talking about out of combat skills. Why isn't this a problem too? This is a no-brainer. If you have an ally who is bleeding out, you go over and make the check. There is no reason not to, no penalty for doing so.

Why is this not a bad game design? It is a no-brainer decision, therefore according to you it is uninteresting, but I've seen those checks as being very dramatic in multiple games. One could further make the argument that the Healer's Kit would be worse, because it is so cheap that it is basically no cost to get, and even takes the risk of a failed roll away. However, I see the Healer's Kit as a signal that the party is planning ahead. They are considering what might happen and taking steps to prepare themselves for that problem in the future.

And this might be the biggest disconnect between us. You seem to see the action itself having no consequences as it being a "brain-off" moment, but the times I have most seen the Help Action taken are the times when the players are invested in the moment. They want to succeed, so they are jumping in to help the person making the check succeed. Often times when no one is interested, instead of "I help" I hear "I go do X" or "I'll check out Y instead" and the party scatters looking for something interesting. The Help action is almost a flag that tells me "We as a Party are invested", so I cannot see the "brain-off" moment that you seem to dread so much.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Interestingly, that's the part I felt like you were ignoring when you described what I was suggesting as homebrewing. I had meant for you to invoke this! If you find a scenario that you feel doesn't make sense without help working - let it work!

Right, but as I said, I'd rather reverse this. I don't want the DM to give permission to let it work, I feel that is a problem because the more RAW and conservative DMs will then prevent logical actions from meaningfully helping. Instead, I'd rather the DM step in when it doesn't work. This gives the players free reign to immerse themselves in the story, and only when they begin breaking that immersion is the hand of the DM felt to keep them from breaking things in silly ways.

I'm not sure that's the intent - I think the intent is to make each roll more important. That's part of why (AFAICT) they've been pushing the "don't roll unless there is interesting consequences". I think they're trying to teach DMs to be both more generous to player input, and also to not let a bad roll derail the story that's being told.

This doesn't follow to me, and if this is their intent, they are making a big mistake I feel.

The more important each roll is, the more the players want to invest resources into making sure that roll succeeds. If WoTC is trying to make each roll more important, while also limiting the resources people can put to make those rolls succeed, then it is only going to drive players to more extreme lengths. Because these rolls matter so much, they cannot fail, and so they will seek to get ever more extreme bonuses.

Some people may think that will lead to more "creative play" but I know for me that I've often used creative solutions that grant advantage as the Help Action. That means if the Help Action is now strictly defined, then creative solutions will be constrained. "No, that can't grant advantage, because to grant advantage on a skill is the Help Action, and it requires you to be proficient". That is a thing that will be said.

I'm not sure there's danger in that happening. I can't imagine the designers ever intending to make the rules interfere with team building and teamwork. I mean, I guess it could happen with unintended consequences? I'd hope not.

But there is absolutely a danger of this happening. If you have a player about to make a roll, and they have already used Guidance that day, and no one else shares in their skill proficiency... that's it. That player must stand alone, and the rest of the party will check out, because there is literally nothing they can do or engage with.

I have had many groups struggle with team cohesion, because there is very little that you can actually do to help each other. In combat many of us act purely as individuals, because it is the most efficient way, and there is no such thing as a combo attack or anything else. Other than a caster setting a zone spell, there isn't much that say, two fighters can actually do to support each other. Now out-of-combat is going to end up the same way, there isn't much of anything we can do to support each other, so the most efficient way for us to progress is to just let each individual act on their own. Having a wing-man is only useful if you both are trained in the skill you know you will be using, if you don't share skills, you can't support each other.

If there is no mechanical incentive to work together, then you are relying solely on people to make up reasons to work together.

True. As an aside, Help is an action and Flanking is "free" (with positioning). Both are pretty much narratively the same thing. I approve of the Help action in combat, but I don't like Flanking (which I also find more fiddly rules-wise than its worth).

I find flanking can be fine. The only time it is less good is when the classes provide different mechanics to get advantage in combat. Flanking makes a Wolf Barbarian far far less powerful, for a common example. But, as I said, in games with flanking, I find the team works far harder at positioning with each other and double-teaming enemies. Meanwhile, in games without it, we can often find ourselves not paying any attention to our allies, because it doesn't affect us until they either win or lose.

I get where you're coming from now. You just don't want any barriers to players using teamwork to accomplish goals. It's an excellent motive.

Basically.

Fair. I think it's fine, but I guess I'd be fine to rule against it often, so maybe I'd rather it was changed. Another place where I'd probably rule against it is in situations where one skill might be complimentary to another skill (Like good-cop bad-cop in an interrogation. One could argue that one character's intimidation could give advantage to another's persuasion!)

Exactly, that is such a good use of skills and tropes, I want that to be something the players can decide to do, without them looking at the rule and deciding that they can't assist in the interrogation, because the Paladin is using Intimidation, and they don't have intimidation, so they aren't allowed to help.

Another thing to consider is that there is a chilling effect from rules like this. Even if a DM might make an exception for a rule, players are often trained to not suggest things that break the rules. If they know the rule says they must share proficiency in the skill, many of them won't suggest anything that would break that, because that's against the rules and therefore it won't work. Even if the DM might allow it to work.

Bill Zebub

No problem.

I have gotten that point from you, but it seems to be a very inconsistent position. For example, let us take the Medicine Action I was just talking about it. It is a DC 10 medicine check. Now, I'm going to take this out of combat for a moment, because we are talking about out of combat skills. Why isn't this a problem too? This is a no-brainer. If you have an ally who is bleeding out, you go over and make the check. There is no reason not to, no penalty for doing so.

Why is this not a bad game design? It is a no-brainer decision, therefore according to you it is uninteresting, but I've seen those checks as being very dramatic in multiple games. One could further make the argument that the Healer's Kit would be worse, because it is so cheap that it is basically no cost to get, and even takes the risk of a failed roll away. However, I see the Healer's Kit as a signal that the party is planning ahead. They are considering what might happen and taking steps to prepare themselves for that problem in the future.

There’s a cost…literally…to healer’s kits.

That said, in general both D&D itself and the patterns of play that have become entrenched in the culture (even when the rules explicitly say otherwise) have many examples of zero-risk/cost moves. If I’m not mentioning some of them it’s not necessarily because I give them a pass, or that I’m taking an “inconsistently position”. Rather it’s just because there are a lot of them, and I’m probably only talking about the one being discussed at the moment.

I will add, however, that my dislike of these rules often correlates to the frequency with which they appear. Thus guidance is high on the list. So is, “Give me an Int (History) roll.” “Can I roll, too?” “And me!” Etc.

And this might be the biggest disconnect between us. You seem to see the action itself having no consequences as it being a "brain-off" moment, but the times I have most seen the Help Action taken are the times when the players are invested in the moment. They want to succeed, so they are jumping in to help the person making the check succeed.

And that’s great that they are invested! Which means if there were a risk or cost they’d probably pay it.

Often times when no one is interested, instead of "I help" I hear "I go do X" or "I'll check out Y instead" and the party scatters looking for something interesting. The Help action is almost a flag that tells me "We as a Party are invested", so I cannot see the "brain-off" moment that you seem to dread so much.

If I truly “dreaded” it I would stop playing the game because it’s everywhere. But if we are discussing a particular rule I will bring it up, and look for a better design.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Please tell me we aren't still talking about guidance
Nah it's moved on to a hypothetical situation where two pcs want to use the help action to lift a heavy object.. But their carry capacity is too low... And they have no relevant skill to help each other with... And it seems like the gm doesn't want to make an exception.

Bill Zebub

Nah it's moved on to a hypothetical situation where two pcs want to use the help action to lift a heavy object.. But their carry capacity is too low... And they have no relevant skill to help each other with... And it seems like the gm doesn't want to make an exception.

Seems to me this isn't using an ability with a skill but just an ability. What does the proposed rule say about that?

I wrote an adventure (in another system) in which the heroes had a climactic escape at the main gate and had to fight off attackers who kept coming every round, while trying to turn a windlass to raise a portcullis. It explicitly used the strength score (or its equivalent in this system) and allowed for two people to cooperate. Of course, you can't really fight off guards while turning a windlass.

Branduil

Hero
Maybe this is just me but if I had two characters trying to lift the same object together, I would just have them both make checks. IRL(I know, I know) if you and a friend are carrying an object, there's nothing you can really do if they "fail their check," they're just gonna drop their end of the object.

I always interpreted the Help action as doing something to directly guide the other player in something they can do by themselves, if they roll high enough. So in this example, it's the fighter with proficiency in Athletics saying "No no, lift with your legs Archibald. And put your right hand here for more leverage." In that case it does make sense that someone proficient in a skill would be better suited to help another player.

Remove ads