• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde -> Red Hand of Doom in Pathfinder

Bad Paper

First Post
Hi all. I haven't played any d20 in about a year and a half now, and we're getting back into it with Pathfinder (after a lot of exhausting high-level 3.5 play).

I guess I've been crowned DM, and I'm starting with the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, and hoping to get a smooth transition in the Red Hand of Doom. My party will be sick to death of goblinoids.

I'll keep you guys updated on my conversion and progress. First meeting is in two weeks.

Anything to note about the conversion? Namely, treasure density? I'm so concerned with getting the beasties right that I don't want to have to recalculate all the treasure as well.

We're playing the "medium" advancement schedule, so if the party falls behind, I'll drop in a side quest every once in a while. Will they be overgeared?

Any spells to watch out for? It looks like they have hardly changed spells and items.

JoelF

First Post
I just started RHOD using Pathfinder. I was initially planning on using fast XP progression, but after just the first encounter, I'm having second thoughts and considering the move to medium. I haven't had a chance to figure out how much will be awarded at different points, but don't want to level them too fast - and as you said, it's not hard to use extra encounters as needed. As for treasure, I'm not as concerned about that, since with the pace of the adventure, there's not as much opportunity to buy and sell, so extras of low priced items shouldn't have as large of an effect on the treasure progression.

Sunderstone

First Post
Im running Runelords (3.5) using PF rules atm. Converting on the fly has been real easy. Slaughtergarde will be easier to convert on the fly because of the lower levels of course. Prepping creatures is simple with the quick conversion guide download.

Basically, Ive read up on the new classes and give the bad guys some of the new class abilities. Again, easier at lower levels.
I also wing the skills conversion at a glance and dont be concerned about an exact number for a particular skill like Stealth, Perception, etc . For the most part I Just leave them as is, like if something has Hide +8, it becomes Stealth +8.

Some spells have changed a little, I usually go over some of them pre-game. There is no cure minor wounds anymore (probably because cantrips/orisons are at will) , now theres the Stabilize spell, you might want to look at that. Polymorph is different too, etc.
The only time I need to reference the conversion guide is for the Poison table. Paizo poison rules are better than 3.5 with more chances to halt further damage every round.

I run fast progression because it matches the pace the adventure is intended to run and its less to prep ;) . I would rather go your route and use medium but I dont want to add too many side quests. Overgearing can happen but that varies by DM.

When I ran slaughtergarde in 3.5, I remember it being a fairly easy experience on my players. Only one room with multiple mobs really gave us trouble, iirc. I think side quests might overgear them in this particular module. Oddly I was going to run RHOD after this too. :) Our plans changed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads