D&D 5E Shatterspike in 5E: breaking an enemy's weapon

5ekyu

Hero
The DMG has rules for breaking objects. The AC in those rules assume you easily strike and instead determine whether you do significant damage rather (it says so), kind of like heavy armor. However, with an attended object it ought to be harder to pull off. 3e would have you make multiple rolls to handle that mess, but 5e doesn’t do that. If you want to feel like 5e, you need a ruling that doesn’t add rolls. Since the AC number actually matters (it’s what separates adamantine from wood, for example) you shouldn’t ignore it.

5e would probably suggest attacking an object according to the DMG rules, but applying disadvantage when the object is worn or carried.

It’s also worth noting that adamantine weapons now have the same property as Shatterspike according to Xanathar’s.
I was thinking object rules with disadvantage if wielded too.
In my own conversion of this adventure a while back, this is what I came up with for Shatterspike, since there's no standard "sunder" option.

Shatterspike (Rare). Taken from a dead paladin in the Sunless Citadel, Shatterspike is an heirloom of another age. It a +1 longsword, and on a hit, the wielder can choose to break an item instead of dealing damage. On a critical hit, the wielder can choose to both deal damage and break an item. The item must be held or obviously worn. Armor and large pieces of clothing cannot be targeted in this way. A non-magical item or a common magic item is automatically destroyed. A magic item that is Uncommon or higher gets a DC 10 Charisma save to resist. If it is not intelligent, it uses its wielder's Charisma bonus (if positive). Rare items get +2 to this save, Very Rare get +4, Legendary get +6, and Artifacts are immune.

It worked out quite well. One player kept it through level 20, ultimately exchanging it for a scimitar of speed found in Nightfang Spire, but keeping it for utility purposes like smashing locks. It was a lot of fun.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

Kyle1

Villager

I personally went with a version that uses the disarm maneuvre as a base. Players still get the benefit of taking away someones weapon. Characters can pick up the disarmed weapon with a free action or kick it away if they want to prevent the target from retrieving it on their next turn.​

Shatterspike​

Weapon (longsword), uncommon (requires attunement)

This weapon has 6 charges. It regains 1d4+2 charges each dawn.

You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls you make with this magic weapon. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you can expend one charge to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. You add 1d8 to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw (DC = 8 + Your Proficiency + Your Strength or Dexterity Modifier). On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

Additionally, attacks against objects or structures deal maximum damage.

jgsugden

Legend
I think, in retrospect, I would just allow Shatterspike to attack an enemy's (nonmagical) weapon, using an opposed attack roll as the AC (or the AC of the item when unattended, whichever is more) instead of attacking the enemy. If the weapon is destroyed, it becomes an improvised weapon. I doubt that would break the game.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
While the object rules from the DMG are a good reference it is specifically for unattended/inanimate objects. I would suggest something halfway between that and the disarm variant. Such as, make an attack roll against the target's Dexterity (Acrobatics) check then deal damage to the item using the object chart for it's hit points. The DM can then determine that the broken weapon might be usable as an improvised weapon of a reduced die type. A longsword for example could become an improvised shortsword which could then be broken again into a dagger.
It doesn't specify that they are unattended, just inanimate. And I'm pretty sure a sword is still considered an inanimate object even if its being wielded and used. Inanimate doesn't mean motionless, it means unable to move itself.

Give the weapon the same Antennae Action as a rust monster. The wielder of the weapon can choose to strike normally (using the Attack Action, doing damage) or trying to damage the weapon (using the Antenna Action, doing no damage)., Give the foe a DEX save to simulate them trying to move their weapon out of the way of the strike.

broccoli

First Post
I'd keep it simple. On a crit, Shatterspike breaks an opponent's non-magical wielded weapon. A broken weapon becomes an improvised weapon. Magical weapons are exempt. It can also be used to attack objects and automatically deals max crit damage on a hit versus an unwielded object.
As a note, per the adventure, when Shatterspike hits an object it's an automatic critical hit.

Remove ads