• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sheild of Bashing w sheild spikes?

DarkJester

First Post
If you were to put sheild spikes on a shield of bashing what would the damage be? I assume it would be 1d8+ other mods, and that the two do not stack. This makes since according to the rules, otherwise a shield becomes much more powerful offensive weapon. I was thinking that it would allow d8 damage,but at either pircing or blungeoning, make any sense?

I ask,because if you use a sheild bash for one of your primary attacks,you can not add flaming,frost etc to it as a weapon ( at least not that i know of).

Anyone have any ideas on the topic?

Targos

First Post
I had an orc spiked armor & shield character that did this. We ended up ruling that the bashing effect on the shield only works for bludgeoning. (A normal shield) A spiked shield is piercing however. Instead I enchanted the spikes on the shield as a weapon and the shield as armor. I know the bashing enhancement basically doubles the damage die of the shield bash, but if you did that with the spikes it would be rather unbalancing. (d12 damage with a shield which is considered a light weapon) Think about this phrase if you had a spiked shield of bashing:

I 'bash' him with my 'spikes'. Its like slashing sombody with a club. You might prefer to find some compromise and permit the bashing spike.

If you treat the spikes as a weapon you can add all the weapon enhancements you want to the spikes. This however will get expensive since the weapon enhancements & armor enhancements are being added to a single item. (the spiked shield) But I would suggest either find some numbers for the bashing spikes treated solely as armor or enhance the spikes as a weapon, but not permit the bashing, not both.

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
Ya.
My feeling is that if a normal Bashing Shield gives 1d8 damage for a +1 enchantment cost (VERY expensive, and by the book the worst enchantment in the game), and spikes increase a normal shield's damage from d4 bludgeoning to d6 piercing, I think an obvious conclusion would be that a Bashing Shield w/ spikes would do d10 piercing damage.

Virago

First Post
I think I argued about this with reapersaurus once.

I would be restrictive; when you attack with the spikes you use the enchantment of the spikes. When you attack with the shield you use the enchantment of the shield. If you really want magical shield spike action, you have to buy magical spikes.

I see where reapersaurus is coming from, but I think the rules-based idea is that the spikes are a separate item on the shield, not an enhancement to the shield's damage. So either go with bashing alone, or enchant your spikes.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Virago said:
I think I argued about this with reapersaurus once.
wow. you must be going WAY back for that! LOL :)

Actually, i certainly can see the reasoning, now that you mentoin it again.

I still think it should be the way i mention it. :)

Archer

First Post
Bashing increases the damage of the shield 2 steps. I don't see how this is such a bad deal. Throw in about 15 shield fighting enhancing feats and its really good but divine shield is probably the most important. Increase your size to large (add a righteous might spell effect for 18k per use per day) and its doing 2d6 instead 1d6. (the same as a +1 weapon enhancement but half the cost)

You can enchant a shield to have attack properties and you can enchant spikes to have attack properties but I don't think the shield and spikes would stack in that case unless the shield is the primary weapon and the spikes are secondary weapons and you resolve each separately anyway.

Pile up the defense specials and the offense specials and its sort of like having a +10 bow and +10 arrows but doesn't get used up like arrows plus defense bonuses cost half of what offense bonuses cost.

(Power attack, imp. shield bash, shield charge, shield expert, divine shield, TWF, ambidexterity, imp. TWF, gr. TWF, focus, spec, imp crit, power crit, expertise, imp. trip, knockdown):D :D :D

Last edited:

Remove ads