Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Ryltar

First Post
Looking forward to how Toras gets out of *that* :D. How'd that situation come up? Planned by His Devious DM'ness or just player initiative?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Ryltar said:
Looking forward to how Toras gets out of *that* :D. How'd that situation come up? Planned by His Devious DM'ness or just player initiative?

*devious smile*

She was sitting next to him on the seating chart for their table at that party (some of the people there were planned (Ylem) and others just tossed in to see what happened). And I wanted to see what he did and how his character reacted to getting hit upon by 'the amazing energy draining woman'. I knew and I think Clueless's player knew OOC who and what she was, but Toras's player was delightfully clueless OOC and so there was no objection to going back and getting screwed all evening by this fairly attractive elf woman. Given Clueless's luck in such things, I figure that there was an assumption that I was just being an equal opportunity DM and handing the opportunity to a player.

Me: alright, the next morning you have a massive hangover, she's gone and left you a note to grab your stuff and close the door on your way out. Oh, and take 2 negative levels.

Toras's player: Cripes! She rocked my world!

Then, after Toras's player realized what Verden was he had the following to say: Christ! I just thought that she really screwed my brains out and made me sore the next morning. I didn't think she'd been feeding on me!

Thing with me is that nothing is coincidence and there's always a potential plot hook waiting for even the most trivial inclusion of an otherwise random detail. It's just that only the ones that get bitten, so to speak, are the ones that I ever fully develop. I've got whole plotlines that never got developed, and at least one of them I'm keeping in play for the sequal to this campaign (which I'm currently planning, and for which I'll be posting a storyhour introduction after the first session of. No spoilers for this storyhour in it though, since it'll be about 150 years in the future and several planes removed from this action, but still reverberating from this ones fallout to some extent).

shemmywrite.gif

shilsen

Adventurer
Shemeska said:
Thing with me is that nothing is coincidence and there's always a potential plot hook waiting for even the most trivial inclusion of an otherwise random detail. It's just that only the ones that get bitten, so to speak, are the ones that I ever fully develop. I've got whole plotlines that never got developed, and at least one of them I'm keeping in play for the sequal to this campaign (which I'm currently planning, and for which I'll be posting a storyhour introduction after the first session of. No spoilers for this storyhour in it though, since it'll be about 150 years in the future and several planes removed from this action, but still reverberating from this ones fallout to some extent).

That's precisely the approach to DMing I try to take. It really gives the players a sense that they have a hand in the creation of the story, as well as giving them a great sense of satisfaction (both in and OOC) when they manage to tease out a strand and realize how much of the past events were dependent on the specific choices they made, however innocuous. Admittedly there's a little less satisfaction when they realize how badly they've screwed themselves and how many options they had not to do so, but them's the breaks ;)

Toras

First Post
It might not have been that simple, but she did match the description of someone else in his past. It worked out well as a rebound thing. Though he did crawl his way to the inn in search of a cleric. I believe the words of "Medic, Man down." and Florain's reply "that loose women would be the death of me" where brought up, though it was thought that it was shear exaustion and soreness was the culprit.

His choices get slight better though much more deadly as the game goes on.

Ryltar

First Post
Shemeska said:
Thing with me is that nothing is coincidence and there's always a potential plot hook waiting for even the most trivial inclusion of an otherwise random detail. It's just that only the ones that get bitten, so to speak, are the ones that I ever fully develop. I've got whole plotlines that never got developed, and at least one of them I'm keeping in play for the sequal to this campaign

This is what makes DM'ing worthwile for me, too. I try to offer as many half-developed plot-hooks as possible; half of them come from my notes, the other half from things the players just brought up offhandedly during play and that are just too good to ignore. Especially the "He wouldn't do that ... it would be too easy. So this whole thing has got to be more complicated!" conspiracy theories, which get them into even greater trouble than I had intended :D. It's a little sad to see some plot opportunities go unnoticed, though, but I always collect those for possible later use. You cannot run from my plots! :p

Clueless

Webmonkey
*chuckle* We've inserted some doozies into the plot - but it all does end up evolving around shemmies plans in the end - *shrug*

Shemeska

Adventurer
Clueless said:
*chuckle* We've inserted some doozies into the plot - but it all does end up evolving around shemmies plans in the end - *shrug*

*changes name to Shemmy Hilton, shaves self with a poodle pattern, dances in front of a mirror and leaks the sensory stone onto the Night Market*

There's a quote by Mick Jagger here that might be appropriate 'You don't always...' etc.

*runs from nonplussed player who knows where I live*

Clueless

Webmonkey
I know where and when and how to hurt you. Remember this.

*settles back from creepy moment with a smile*
Just make it up to me, ok? Because it really *did* disappoint me.

Last edited:

Remove ads