• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Burningspear

First Post
Toras said:
I think it was in the Manual of the Planes.

The problem you are going to run into using amnesia to strip abilities from your Rakasha is that you have a number of abilities are inherent. The most obvious and the most troublesome you are going to deal with is the overwhelming spell resistance (either immune to <9 or high sr). The first time someone tosses a spell you are going to figure that out. The same with DR, but that's easier to explain away.
Well, we came up with the idea that while he is in humanoid form, he does not benefit from spell resistance, and when you shapechange, you lose your supernatural abilities...

You might want to have something strip his powers from his soul. Having a powerful enough wizard ripping that power from him to power some manner of spell, and then wiping his mind to cover up his crime.

Then you can design a progression up to the natural hit dice. So gradually he is recovering his powers.

Thnx for the reply...that first off all :)
The other players will find him after a great magical spell battle blew up a village, and guess what, they find me, and the other culprit in the epicentre...
And I agreed with the DM that he would use piercing weapons mainly to attack me with, and only when he wants me to see a hint about my actual race, then hell use other weapon types..
Isn't Dam.red. a Su ability?

Clueless

Webmonkey
Can be - but the thought Toras is coming from - is based on a character in a game that Tristol's player is currently running for us. A celestial whose True Name was robbed from him by a very powerful and very evil wizard of Shade. Mechanically the character is human - no powers, nothing fancy whatsoever - it's just in the description that he's got a tail and ears and is a vulpinal.

That was the sort of approach he was suggesting. :)

Whenever the character regains his True Name he'll get the powers back.

Burningspear

First Post
Clueless said:
Can be - but the thought Toras is coming from - is based on a character in a game that Tristol's player is currently running for us. A celestial whose True Name was robbed from him by a very powerful and very evil wizard of Shade. Mechanically the character is human - no powers, nothing fancy whatsoever - it's just in the description that he's got a tail and ears and is a vulpinal.

That was the sort of approach he was suggesting. :)

Whenever the character regains his True Name he'll get the powers back.

Thnx for the info :), sounds nifty though...

Quanqued

First Post
Burningspear said:
What about passiva abilities? like Dark vision and Dam red., and even Detect thoughts in my case?, how would that be done? any suggestions?

thnx in advance :)
FYI: There's already a book that handles the mechanics of breaking down a monstrous race into multiple levels. Take a look at Savage Species. It's not really my favorite book, but it's tailored for just this sort of question.

You can then make whatever justification seems most entertaining for RP reasons in game.

~Quan

Burningspear

First Post
Quanqued said:
FYI: There's already a book that handles the mechanics of breaking down a monstrous race into multiple levels. Take a look at Savage Species. It's not really my favorite book, but it's tailored for just this sort of question.

You can then make whatever justification seems most entertaining for RP reasons in game.

~Quan

Yes, i knew that one existed, although i could not remember its title, but thnx for the reference.. i had a digital version of it, until i had a comp crash, if anybody can help me find it to download again, much obliged...

Archimedes314

First Post
Burningspear said:
For the player playing the amnesiac, how did he justify the use of the feats/ class/ race abilities that he had upon startup? how did you guys do that?
for example, having a feat you have to activate, but not knowing you have it, and yet it is taken upon character setup/ creation, how did u guys work that out? :)

In general, real world cases of retrograde amnesia retain procedural knowledge while losing some or all of their propositional knowledge (although it is possible to lose both, or to lose only portions of procedural knowledge), the most prevalent explanation being that they are stored differently in the brain. What this means is that your character would know how to do things he knew before the event that caused the amnesia, but have no idea when or where he learned to do them.

Last edited:

Burningspear

First Post
Sorry Shemeska, for railroading your storyline here, but i am actually getting better and far more useful replies here then i think i would get anywhere else..

Thnx Archimedes :),

How is this for a revision from 3.0 Rakshasa (which is very much more powerful then the current one) to 3.5?;

• Outsider (lawful, evil); all simple weapons; all martial weapons; base speed 40 feet; dark vision to 60 feet; monster class skills are bluff, craft, disguise, listen, move silently, perform, profession, sense motive, and spot.

• Level 1: First hit die; +2 con, +2 cha; 2 claws 1d4 + strength bonus, alternate form 1/day (1 hour),
• Level 2: Second hit die ,Spells as sorcerer equal to hitdice, bite 1d6 + 1/2 strength bonus, +2 int

• Level 3:; +2 str, +2 dex, Detect thoughts 1/day

• Level 4: Third hit die; Alternate form 3/day (2 hours), , exchange for spell resistance, equal to 20 +hd/ class lvl’s)
• Level 5: Fourth hit die; +2 dex

• Level 6: Detect thoughts 3/day; +2 con,

• Level 7: Fifth hit die, +2 wis, Damage reduction 10/ good + piercing,

• Level 8: Sixth hit die, Detect thoughts at will, +2 cha,
• Level 9: Alternate form at will; +2 cha

• Level 10: Seventh hit die; +2 con, Damage reduction 15/ good + piercing

Is this reasonable balanced? thoughts?

Last edited:

Burningspear

First Post
And the former replies made me so hopeful i would get some meaningful feedback on my ramblings ;), i'll keep hope up though :D

Thanks for the reply though, Clueless :)

Last edited:

Clueless

Webmonkey
Unfortunately, most of the game group are not really number crunchers aside from whatever makes the DM happy and lets the concept shine through. So not really up our alley much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads