• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shemmy's Planescape Storyhour #2 (Updated x3 10-17-07)

Shemeska

Adventurer
The sudden flame upon the hillside was in sharp contrast to the cold of the winter night, and the ash stirring upon the breeze was sharp against the otherwise dry air, leached of scent by the cold. But there was something else as well. There was the presence pawing at Phaedra’s mind.

The half-loth glanced warily at Inva, and the tiefling shrugged back, half subsumed into the shadow cast by the looming barrow mound.

“I wouldn’t go releasing anything that you don’t know ‘hon…” Inva whispered as she scanned the rest of the hillside for movement.

Phaedra would have responded, but the voice in her head spoke first, forthright and powerful, but power that had long been imprisoned.

"Come hither… Release me…” It said, haunting and full of lament, but also promising and seductive. “Fray the dweomers like cold iron chains that bind me, a fly within this abandoned and tattered web whose spider has vanished with the cold winter wind and mortal memories.

The voice paused momentarily and the wind whistled through the fragile, dry grass, punctuation to the entity’s speech.

Help me and I will reward you… Reward you greatly.

Phaedra gave a look of skepticism at the mound, and the whispering, promising voice gave rise to its lament further.

Torment, torment of prison.” It whispered. “Soul and stone and ancient mortal bones weigh upon me; an anchorstone of most hated Gilgeam.

Its last words were as if hissed through clenched teeth, with a rage barely constrained. The hillside trembled slightly.

“Who are you? What are you?” Phaedra asked, though that it was a fiend was obvious. The level of blistering hatred when it had mentioned the Untheric deity Gilgeam was only something a fiend could have mustered.

There was no immediate reply by the occupant of the barrow.

“Tell me who you are.” Phaedra asked again. The presence seemed to be pondering how best to reply, lest it miss its chance at freedom.

Severesthifek…

The name sounded Tanar’ri; True Tanar’ri…

… second of the burning marshals of Lupercio…

Phaedra’s eyes widened slightly, and perhaps there was a twitch in her smile, but Inva noticed her reactions even if she couldn’t hear the conversation.

That it was a Tanar’ri was beyond a shadow of a doubt. Lupercio, the Baron of Sloth, was an Abyssal Lord, and the being in the mound, whatever it was, had been one of its major servitors.

You are fiend, or touched by one…” Severesthifek crooned, stroking her mind with a hundred telepathic fingers. “Would you wish to be bound by a deity in a rotting, muddy tomb among the bones of your lesser for millennia? Release me and I will not hinder you.

“Why?” Phaedra asked, brushing away the caress of the other fiend’s mind. “I know little to nothing about you, nor do I have any reason to trust you.”

The tanar’ri in the mound withdrew, but there was the odd sensation that the mental fingers and very briefly bristled with claws.

“Give me something in return, and be specific about it.” Phaedra continued. “We came here looking for something. Tell us where in the mound it is, and we may be willing to aid you.”

A slow, guttural rumble was the fiend’s reply, a sound like the stoking of a blast furnace and the inhalation of oxygen before the rise of the flames. There was a mix of reactions though, both the rage of an imprisoned Tanar’ri, desperate for release, and what might have been the effect of its bindings, the will of a dead deity and its priests forcing it into its role as one of the barrow’s protectors. Tanar’ri were insane, unpredictable, and whatever Severesthifek was, it was being torn between loyalty to self and the magical chains that bound it.

When it replied, insanity was the least descriptor to give.

Release me, come and…

What began as a soft crooning suddenly flashed to a screaming, slavering rage.

DIE! Rend the flesh from your bones and suck the marrow! Devour your soul! REND! REND! GNASH! And all is bloody silence but for the rustling of the grasses and Auril’s breath upon my back… Violate this place and I shall violate in turn, most bloody, most painful, most agonizing. Physical torment is the least of what I shall do to you…

Phaedra stepped back from the mound as she could physically feel a hot, rancid panting of breath upon her face, such was the intensity of the emotions and raw, abstract rage in the fiend’s mental projection.

“It’s a f*cking True Tanar’ri inside the mound…” Phaedra whispered. “Nalfeshnee, Glabrezu, a Balor maybe.”

The grass upon the hillside was swaying back and forth gently, regularly, like the heaving of a demon’s chest, all in time with the ragged breath that echoed in Phaedra’s mind. Severesthifek was struggling against the divine purpose driven like a white-hot spike through its chaotic mind, raging against its slavery; freedom was anathema to its role as guardian of the tomb.

BATHE IN YOUR FLESH!

The scream was audible even to Inva, and the tiefling’s eyes, a glint of red in the shadows, blinked at its intensity as it rattled around on the inside of her brain.

“It might be a good idea to get a bit of distance Phae…” The tiefling said as she nudged an elbow into the half-‘loth’s side.

“I’m thinking that too.” She replied. “He, she, it… don’t know which, but it might be willing to help us, but only if we release it.”

Inva gave her a look at the suggestion.

Phaedra shrugged as the mental static in her mind continued to seethe and boil over from the entombed and bound tanar’ri deep within the earth.

“Yeah I know it’s not a good idea.” She said. “But whatever’s binding it to the barrow, well, it’s preventing it from telling anything. It was trying to say something, maybe, but then it immediately shot into a rage.”

“That’s an understatement.” Inva said with a smirk, still eyeing the mound.

“Part of that was just from a Tanar’ri bound in place for a few thousand years.” Phaedra said. “He isn’t happy.”

“You could say that.” Inva replied.

Release me I…” Severesthifek whispered sullenly, desperately.

“I don’t think we’re going to get much out of…” Phaedra was cut off though as the fiend’s final outburst sunk its mental claws into her and Inva’s minds.

…Awash in the entrails of the thieves and pharaoh kissers who would violate this sanctum! Wallow in your misery I shall, filth of the prime material. Worthless, all of you!! Unripened larvae for me to feed upon; grown fat like the tomb worms that will riddle your flesh and leave the choicest bits of the soul to me…

The grass upon the hillside had stopped moving even though the north wind was briskly drifting across their faces, tousling Inva’s hair and rustling the hem of Phaedra’s robe. The mound had gone cold and silent after the tanar’ri had vented its anger one final time, but it was unknown if the fiend had given up, or was waiting and allowing its rage to fester and build for something more.

*crack!*

One of Phaedra’s ears swiveled and turned to the sound, a delicate fragile snap.

The long grass growing upon the slope of the central barrow was still in the wind because it had been frozen solid. Ice glittered upon each and every stalk and reed, holding them fast into the earth, tethered against the wind; a manifestation of the bound fiend’s rage of millennia.

“Let’s get back to camp and wait for morning…” Phaedra said as she was already stepping back further from the edge of the mound.

“Exactly.” Inva said. “Besides which, you’re more fun to banter with than a Tanar’ri.”

Phaedra chuckled as they quickly made their way back towards camp in the darkness while unseen, the light snowfall sprinkled their hair and clothes. Nothing untoward happened to them as they walked through the mound complex, though there was still a ragged gnawing of telepathic static emanating from the largest mound, and perhaps several of the others as well.

That would be something to examine in the morning, and something to discuss with the others come morning. If the Untheric priests had bound fiends to some of the mounds, it might explain the lethality of the area, beyond the restless dead, and it might point to some of the mounds being considered more sacrosanct than others.

But in the meantime, Phaedra glanced over at Inva and smiled to herself. She’d really taken a shine to the tiefling, and truth be told, the offer to go out drinking once they got back to Sigil was sounding more and more attractive, just like Inva was for that matter.

***​

Sorandar Dakros, apprentice necromancer to circle leader Myras Odesseron, looked up into the sky and frowned.

“I don’t like snow.” He said, scowling and brushing at the cold flakes drifting down from the clouds and onto his head.

Like every other Red Wizard, he was bald, his head covered in tattoos, and the cold chill of the snowflakes was annoying him.

His companion for that evening’s watch segment chuckled and shook her head in amusement.

“If you’re going to complain just go back into your tent and read over that book on summoning I loaned you.” She said.

Khezen Ansalab, another of Odesseron’s apprentices, she was about a year older than Dakros, and slightly more advanced in her studies than him. She viewed him more like a little brother than a rival apprentice squabbling for their master’s attention and favor, which of course was at odds with their on again, off again, relationship of convenience. It was purely sexual of course, but it suited them both when they had the opportunity to indulge themselves.

“It’s cold.” Dakros said. “This whole nation is too damn cold.”

There was a flicker of light off in the darkness from one of the outer mounds, far beyond the glow of ambient light that had been conjured by the wizards around their campsite and areas of current excavation.

“What in the 9 hells was that?” Khezen said, turning her head in the direction of the light.

“Probably those idiots on the other side of the main barrow setting a fire.” Dakros replied with a yawn.

“Well if it was, than they’re on our side of the complex.” Khezen replied. “Go take a look.”

The other thayan looked at her like she had a hole in her skull, dripping her brains out onto the ground.

“You go look.” He said. “It’s f*cking cold enough as it is. I’m not going out in the cold by myself to look for something out there that probably isn’t anything at all.”

“Then wear an extra cloak.” Khezen retorted. “And bring some of the zombies with you.”

She gestured to the eight slowly rotting figures that shambled and worked tirelessly under their necromantic command, or rather, more appropriately, shambled and worked under their command at their master’s behest. Some of them were simple zombies, while others, the ones that had come with them from Thay, near the border of the Tharch of Thazalhar, were more advanced and puissant creations.

“Yes, and if I do.” He replied. “We won’t excavate enough of this mound before sunup and the master will have us lashed for incompetence.”

“Then send Aloth to go look.” Khezen suggested with a shrug.

Her companion was right actually, they couldn’t spare the labor of their undead to go looking for something that didn’t appear to be much at all.

“Fine.” Dakros said, once again rubbing his hands over his baldpate to brush the cold melt water of fallen snow from his tattooed flesh.

Aloth was their nominal bodyguard, though he only truly held loyalty to their master Myras. The man, covered in a patchwork of armor and tattoos, was approaching his fourth decade of life, but his time as a slave during his childhood, and his tenure as a thayan knight had aged him prematurely beyond his years. He stood silently near the edge of the excavation sight, keeping his eyes on the apprentices just as much as he watched for anything stepping into the light from outside.

“Aloth!” Dakros said, motioning the warrior over to were he was standing. “Go find out what the hell was sparking a light on that mound.”

The wizard pointed out the mound, one of the medium-sized barrows, and one that was very clearly on their side of the complex.

Aloth simply nodded and gave a rough grunt. The knight was a mute, as his tongue had been ripped out during his early slavery. But he obeyed orders and that was all that mattered. Besides, if he had refused, they’d have charmed him and had him lashed in the morning.

The two wizards turned away from their undead laborers and watched the knight spark a torch and walk off to the southwest, towards the mound they had directed him towards.

“It’s probably nothing.” Khezen said with a shrug.

“True, but it does leave us alone till he gets back.” Dakros replied as he rubbed a hand on his sometime lover’s shoulder.

She gave an appreciative murmur as he stepped closer, his hand moved to her breast, and he kissed the base of her neck.

“I wouldn’t put it past you to have set up some illusion to trigger on that mound, just to give us some time alone.” She replied with a pleasant, uncharacteristically girlish giggle. “… you did, didn’t you?”

“We’re alone, aren’t we?” He said. “The others are asleep and they can’t hear anything inside the dimensional space they’re in.”

“I figured as much…” She replied as she turned and undid the front of his robe. “And we’re as alone as we can be I suppose.”

“They’re dead.” He said, motioning to the zombies still going about their ordered tasks. “They don’t care.”

Engaged as they were with each other for the next hour, they never heard the screams cutting through the night air from the south. Their own screams of a very, very different nature kept them oblivious even as they kept each other satisfied and warm against the cold, inside and out.

***​

Phaedra and Inva bantered softly as they walked back to camp and the dying remains of the campfire.

Phaedra tossed several broken pieces of scavenged timber into the sputtering flames, making sure that it would continue burning till morning. The fire hissed and spit forth a shower of sparks as the old kindling gave way under the added weight and a few insects in the new wood popped from the heat, shooting off like the inverse of tiny macabre falling stars.

“Now if you'll excuse me,” Phaedra said with a yawn. “I'm one tired…”

She paused and looked down at the form she’d been using, more lupinal than anything else.

“…celestial, or something…”

Inva gave a smile as she pulled a bag out of her tent, taking out a spellbook bound in a deeply tanned, almost black, skin. She flipped through several pages, ending at a page marked with a long, silken bookmark whose ends seemed to trail off into tiny wisps of shadow.

"I suppose I should look over my spells.” The tiefling said, turning another page with the bladed tip of her tail. “Just to make sure I'm ready to keep my tail safe from that would-be-lich.”

Phaedra chuckled through a yawn.

“I'll be looking forward to that drink after all this is over…” Inva added. “ I haven't had a good stiff drink and a pleasant conversation in forever.”

“It would be a nice change of pace for me too.” Phaedra replied. “It’s been a while since I've been in much of anyone's company purely because I wanted to be.”

“Well, let's make a date for it then.” The tiefling said as the fire hissed and crackled. “If we can get Victor to step out of the sun and into the shadows for a bit, and Velk to relax and come out from under that cloak, we might all be able to loosen up and enjoy ourselves. I can easily see us working together for a while if our employer's have their way.”

Phaedra nodded back. The possibility was something she appreciated, with perhaps the caveat of having to continue to deal with Marcus. But that was a thought she didn’t dwell on as she stood up and brushed her robes free of snow and bits of ash.

"Goodnight Inva.” She said. “Here's to hoping you have a quiet and uneventful watch. Well, unless of course you're planning on making it otherwise.”

Inva smiled and looked over towards first the ruined manor house, and then towards the barrows.

"I don't think I'll need much help in that regard.” She replied with a sly grin. “I'll let you know how things went in the morning. Enjoy your rest, and don't let the shadows creep up and claim you.”

That smirk was back for a moment to compliment her last faux-warning, but the half-‘loth wasn’t one to let it go without returning it.

“Oh really?” She said, slowly looking back at the tiefling before spinning around and snapping her fingers, casting a light spell immediately above Inva, leaving the shadow adept without a shadow of her own.

The light burst into being and Inva’s eyes changed color almost immediately as her vision shifted back into the normal spectrum and her pupils shrunk to pinpoints, ruining her night vision. She gave a bemused scoff of a laugh and backflipped into Phaedra’s own shadow, blending into it and vanishing almost as soon as she touched the ground.

Phaedra glanced around in vain and gave a soft chuckle as she walked away back to her tent. But as she did so, she felt the slight prick of a blade against the top corner of one of her ears. It didn’t draw blood, but it was enough to let her know that Inva was there, or had been, because when Phaedra looked back, despite the conjured light and the fire illuminating the campsite, she didn’t see a thing.

“Smart cookie you…” She said as she ducked into her tent, just imagining the triumphant smirk on the tiefling’s face somewhere out there in the night. But she too fell asleep with a smile on her face.

***​

In the morning, set against the dawn glow in the east, there was a ring of large, dark birds set against the heavy, snow-laden sky overheard.

Plains scavengers.

The previous night had indeed been lethal to something or someone.

Shemeska

Adventurer
*CAW!*

Odesseron’s familiar squawked out a warning at their approach, causing the Red Wizard and several other figures to turn and face them.

The Thayan, along with a trio of apprentices and several heavily armored bodyguards stood clustered at the summit of one of the secondary mounds. Mirroring the feathered scavengers high above in the sky, they stood in a circle around something there exposed to the cold, dry air, the scent of death wafting out around it.

“Does the issue of agreed upon boundaries not make sense to you?” Odesseron asked angrily. “This mound is halfway inside the territory we’d agreed was mine alone.”

“Birds.” Marcus said.

“Excuse me?” The Thayan asked. “Are you daft?”

Inva calmly pointed up into the sky.

“We saw that circle of birds and assumed that someone had died.” The tiefling said. “We came to help in case you needed it.”

“I have undead bound to my command.” Odesseron replied. “Didn’t it occur to you that a dozen partially rotted bodies might attract scavengers, even if they were still moving?”

“I mean I was all for leaving you here to whatever horror you might have released from a mound but…” Inva muttered to herself before Phaedra nudged her side.

“What the hell are they all circled around?” Francesca whispered to Marcus. “And that smell…”

Phaedra nodded to the fighter and whined ever so slightly as she covered her nose with the cuff of her robe. She’d noticed it too.

Odesseron exhaled and put on a courteous smile as best he could. “Your concern is appreciated, but it is not necessary.”

“What exactly happened?” Velkyn asked.

They peered over towards the top of the mound as one of the Thayan’s apprentices moved away from where he’d been standing. The younger wizard was gagging, his nose and mouth covered by a sleeve, and the reasons for such were readily apparent.

The corpse of a tattooed man in half-plate armor lay spread-eagled across the top of the barrow mound, dozens of massive gouges and slashes puncturing his armor like it had been foil, cutting down into his mangled flesh. The wounds alone would have killed him in short order, but they were the least of it. Anywhere that his armor failed to cover, anywhere that he had exposed skin, his flesh was bubbled and boiled outwards like something had taken root and sprouted from inside. Withered growths of some sort of fungus still penetrated up from his cheeks and hands, black and dead as he was, rustling against the morning’s chill wind, blowing a horrific scent out over the mound complex.

“One of my bodyguards was a fool and went off alone to search one of the mounds last night.” Odesseron said with a shrug. “He might have been trying to dig on his own, or he might have thought he heard something.”

“Do you have any ideas what might have done this?” Velkyn asked. “Something in the mound? Or something else out here that we might need to be aware of?”

“At this point I really don’t care.” He added coolly. “He’s dead and I’m down a guard.”

Odesseron’s apprentices were staring awkwardly at the corpse, two of them especially, glancing back at one another with looks of worry and guilt.

“Can we at least help you in some way?” Velkyn asked.

“If you’d like, I can try to restore him to life.” Victor suggested, stepping forward and glancing in the direction of the corpse.

Myras shook his head. “That won’t be necessary. I have a priest of Kossuth with me.”

They’d never seen a cleric of the Firebringer with the Thayans, nor did they see one now. But the faith of the Lord of Flame was potent in Thay, so it wasn’t at all inconceivable that the Red Wizard had traveled to the Great Dale with one of them. Still, the refusal of help was a bit quick and more than a bit cold.

“There’s nothing that I’m overly concerned about.” He continued. “I lose a guard, nothing exactly unexpected given the surroundings. It’s not something that I require aid with, and it’s certainly not something that I’m going to be losing sleep over.”

“Hell if he’s not concerned about the mound.” Phaedra said. “After the other night and the central mound, I certainly am.”

The half-loth stared up at the sky but sent her mind reaching out towards the interior of the mound like a surgeon’s probe seeking out infected or cancerous tissue. Something was down there, she could feel a mental presence, though it seemed to be suppressed or possibly recovering after its expenditures during the night before.

“Anything down there?” Inva asked, leaning in and whispering to Phaedra as surreptitiously as possible.

She didn’t respond immediately, but continued to concentrate on the mound, feeling around the edges of the entity bound into the hill. Fury; the sound of claws whistling as they cut the air; the flap of wings; a mental image of a man being savaged by a bloody beak amid a cloud of feathers and spores…

“There’s a Vrock down there.” Phaedra telepathically voiced to her companions.

They nodded back as surreptitiously as they could as they continued to babble with the Thayan. Meanwhile the necromancer’s apprentices and guards stayed virtually as quiet as their undead servants.

Down in the mound, the Vrock seemed pleased with itself. It had relished the slaughter like a parched and delirious man stumbling upon a river. The manic glee of the fiend was disturbing to say the least, even to Phaedra who was well aware of the activities of half of her family, but of course she wasn’t used to probing into their inner thoughts like she’d been sifting through those of the Vrock.

Outside of the mound, discussions weren’t going anywhere.

“But suffice to say, despite my immediate loss of one somewhat trained swordsman, I have little else to deal with.” Myras said bluntly. “And that little else does not require outside aid.”

“Suit yourself.” Victor said with a shrug. “We were only trying to help.”

“Your intent is appreciated.” Myras reiterated. “But unnecessary at this time. I suggest that we meet tomorrow morning to discuss anything we each find.”

There was little more to be said, given the cold and generally standoffish or downright confrontational attitude the Thayan had. He didn’t want their help, he didn’t really want them around, but it was too much of a risk to really do anything more than ask to be left alone.

And so with the Red Wizard’s cool demeanor fresh in their minds, and further evidence of the latent, lurking danger of the mounds fresh in their minds, they wandered back to their side of the barrow complex.

As it was, the morning passed without incident as the group completed their surface surveys of the mounds they’d been allocated. Given their earlier indications of an evil presence lingering beneath several of them, and given what they knew or suspected regarding the inhabitants of two of those mounds, they examined those few in much deeper detail as the morning passed into the afternoon and the winter sun passed its zenith in the sky.

“Sometimes I wish I wasn’t the only bloody telepath in this group…” Phaedra muttered as she stood at the edge of the dry, brittle grass that marked the boundary of the mound that the ruined keep of Ephraim Barlow stood upon.

“Because frankly, the things around here aren’t pleasant. Tanar’ri never are. Poking them doesn’t make them nicer.”

With a bit of a sigh, the she reached out her mind to the interior of the mound, probing cautiously below the foundation of the old manor house. Expectantly, something stirred to her touch and answered back.

You’re different than the others… A ragged voice, very nearly a squawk, whispered back to her.

Others? Phaedra asked back.

…others to chase, others to terrify, others to feed upon… others that I have or will feed upon…but you smell of yugoloth…

So you say. Phaedra replied, not entirely feeling comfortable with the very nearly chummy tone the Vrock was adopting.

You could release me… The Tanar’ri suggested bluntly.

Why not leave yourself? What keeps you here?

The grass of the hill rustled with a backwash of anger translated to telekinesis.

We cannot… the spells that shackle us, the dweomers on binding stones, they are sewn into our hearts…

Again the grasses rustled and Phaedra could, for a moment, glimpse an image of the bound fiend being cut open by the clergy of Nergal and what amounted to a spiritual loadstone being slipped inside. It was not pleasant, and the Vrock seemed somewhat surprised at her discomfort with the sensations; so unlike a yugoloth who might have gloated, prodded, or commiserated on its way to getting something. Sensing that on the Tanar’ri’s end, Phaedra stepped away from the edge of the mound and withdrew her mental contact.

Shaking her head, both to clear her mind of the lingering traces of psychosis that pervaded anything of Abyssal origin, and to simply express dismay at the demon, Phaedra walked back over to where Velkyn was standing and watching. Behind her, back at the ruin that crowned the barrow like a headstone for its tanar’ri prisoner, the wind whistled through the empty shell of the old keep like the hissing of a rejected paramour.

“Any luck?” Velkyn asked.

“Yeah, there’s a Vrock down there.” Phaedra replied. “Not a very happy one either.”

The wizard nodded. “Victors been mapping out the dweomers on some of the other mounds while you’ve been out here, the magic looks to be entirely divine based.”

“The Vrock claimed that the priests buried here bound him and others, other Tanar’ri, into the mounds.” Phaedra replied.

“Between you and Victor, we might hopefully have an idea what to expect from the mounds here by the end of the day.” Velkyn added.

“Point me to the next one then.” Phaedra said with a shake of her head. “It’s not exactly pleasant poking at a Tanar’ri that’s been sitting down there for a few thousand years, but it gets us what we need to know I suppose.”

“That is does. They’re Tanar’ri, nobody expects them to be pleasant conversationalists.”

“Trust me.” Phaedra said with a chuckle. “They’re not.”

Several hours later they had a much clearer catalog of the mounds, detailing the extent of, or at least the potency of their wards lurking below the surface, and the identity of any bound fiend they might possess. All in all, it was a mix of Vrocks, possibly a succubus, and then the presence cloistered within the central mound that they left well enough alone for the time being, but which seemed to be watching them. Phaedra felt it out there at the fringes of her mind, watching, listening when she made contact with the other fiends bound to the lesser mounds of the Barrow complex. That one, whatever it was, was subtle if it wished to be.

Just before sunset they found something more.

“Son of a…” Marcus said as he tossed his shovel off to the side. “Why couldn’t we have found this earlier in the day?”

Victor shrugged at his brother as he and the others continued to dig. They’d found a stronger density of magic along the southern flank of the mound within which they were fairly certain a succubus was bound. Digging into the earth at that point they’d hit stone only a few feet down, the top of a retaining wall or buttress to structures deeper still.

“Well at least you’ll be able to see the undead when they come out of the tomb for you when you’re on your watch tonight.” Inva said, resisting the urge to fling a spade-full of dirt over in his direction.

As the light shifted from yellow to deeper colors of the spectrum, they managed to clear away enough of the sod and the packed, cold soil to uncover the top of an archway and the start of a recessed, stone door sealed with plaster. Flecks of paint still decorated the tomb entrance while lines of bizarre script, more resembling collections of scratches and chop marks, danced in neat rows between what would have originally been painted illustrations.

None of them spoke ancient Untheric however, but they could guess at the content regardless.

“So who wants to assume that we’re all cursed for having dared to excavate this place?” Inva asked with a bit of sarcastic cheer.

“Considering the magic on that door, I wouldn’t joke…” Victor said with raised eyebrows a smirk and a half chuckle.

“Anyone happen to speak… whatever language that is?” Velkyn asked.

“I was hoping that you would.” Phaedra replied. “If you don’t, hell if anyone else does.”

Velk shrugged and glanced at the cuneiform engravings, and also at the magic laced through the mound and culminating at the door that was virtually humming.

“Not a clue where to begin.” He replied. “But if we’re cursed, I’m calling dibs on the disintegration.”

“I’m calling dibs on your stuff then.” Inva said as she stepped up next to the wizard from behind.

“You’re being mighty friendly.” Velk said.

“You can hope for curses all you like, I’ll be letting something besides me open that door.” Inva replied. “Like one of lich-bait’s zombies.”

Velk studied the tiefling’s face.

“You want to get the Thayan involved in this tomorrow?” He asked.

“We might as well.” She said. “I would say he’s got more warm bodies to throw at the wards, but they’re anything but, but the intent still stands.”

“If we can’t find what we came here for in the first place, we might be able to get his help in figuring out where that might be.” Velkyn added. “I’d appreciate the help in dispelling any magical traps.”

“And you’re almost assured of having them.” Inva replied.

“We can go talk to him in the morning.” Victor said, stepping away from the mound and joining the other two. “But for the moment, it’s about dark.”

“I’ll go start a fire.” Velkyn said. “Any ideas for dinner are welcome.”

“Any chance you can ask your deity for specifics Victor?” Inva asked the cleric.

“We won’t be hungry.” He replied. “But we’ll see if I can get something beyond warm gruel tonight.”

Inva followed after him as they abandoned their picks and shovels at the half uncovered door.

“If we’re well fed and happy,” She called out. “It’ll make the inevitable death at the hands of the vengeful dead much more pleasant!”

***​

Hanging low on the western horizon, situated over the southernmost extension of the cursed Rawlinswood, itself burying the ruins of ancient Narfell’s greatest cities, the nuclear furnace of Toril’s sun boiled like a demon’s rage even as one waited for it to vanish and bring with it the embrace of the winter’s night.

Deep within the cold, sealed depths of Nergal’s crypt, Severesthifek opened his eyes and gazed outwards from beyond the wards, from beyond the deific strictures, from beyond the pain of the binding stone sunk deep into his heart by the priesthood of long-dead Nergal and Gilgeam. Severesthifek gazed out with rage and hunger, feeling the darkness as the sun retreated over the western horizon and surrendered the Great Dale to him and his own long slumbering in unquiet tombs beneath the barrows’ soil.

Call to them Zrekstallithrik… The Balor called out to the first of his servants bound into the lesser mounds.

Call to them Leaeryx… Call to them Dwurcallisz… Call to them Ingella… He continued, whispering to the bound minds of the Vrocks and Succubi that had shared his imprisonment for millennia.

Call to them. Gather them. Shepherd them from their tombs and your gnashing maws. Fill them with your hunger, fill them with your rage and set them loose from their shackles and into the night.

The darkness stirred as the Balor’s corporeal form shifted and twitched and his mental presence smiled as in the depths of the other barrows, a chorus answered back to him in hungry obedience. Together they smiled, incorporeal fangs gnashing, mouths slavering, tongues tasting the air as they called out to the darkness surrounded them there in the depths, uprooting the souls of those condemned to the darkness as well, suffocated in the name of a dead god by the hand of another.

They pulled them from their unquiet rest and scattered them like bitter seeds upon the night wind, there to take root and there to feed, but not upon the rays of a winter morning’s sun; no, nothing so prosaic, nothing so passive, nothing so merciful…

***​

“No! Stop! Dig down into the mound itself, not the area around it.” The young Red Wizard hissed at the undead he’d been set to watch over through the night.

“We’re excavating a tomb, not digging ourselves fortifications to defend against drunken Rashemi…”

Dakros shook his head as the Ogre zombie grunted and altered its pattern of digging while a trio of animated goblinoids carried on with their own tasks without paying their companion any attention whatsoever.

“You’re agitated.” The wizard’s companion said to him.

“Pensive is more like it.” Dakros replied.

“Something like that.” Khezen replied. “But guilt really isn’t like you.”

“I don’t have a clue if Myras is asleep or not, so for the moment nothing about what happened the other night.” Dakros said.

Khezen sighed and ran a hand over her head, bald and tattooed just like her lover’s.

“True.” She said. “I suppose it wouldn’t go over well to admit that we sent Aloth out to be killed just so we could let the dead dig while we f*cked without a living audience.”

Dakros smiled at the memory, even if it was soured by the fact that they’d probably gotten the man killed as a direct result of their little fling.

“No, no it wouldn’t.” He replied. “But Myras hasn’t seemed all that upset over it. He even animated the body.”

“I really should be used to the idea of that.” Khezen said. “It’s a waste to just bury him and not keep the corpse around to work, but knowing him beforehand, and knowing how he died, it still feels strange to have him down there with a shovel next to the ogres and hobgoblins.”

Dakros nodded.

“Which is why I sent him off as far as I could so it wouldn’t be a constant reminder.”

Though it was there for only a moment, neither of them noticed a spot of darkness drift across the sky, its passage marked by a moving void in the night’s field of stars. They were too busy glancing at the familiar looking, if slowly rotting, body of their master’s former bodyguard, unflinchingly swinging a pick at the fringe of one of the mounds.

“Is it getting colder out here?” Khezen asked, looking up at her partner and gathering her robes about her a bit more tightly.

Dakros exhaled, sending a cloud of vapor out sparkling into the night’s air.

“Come to think of it, yes, it is.” He replied. “Did you memorize anything that might help? I gave up abjurations a long time ago…”

Khezen shook her head. “Light I can do. But none of it makes any actual heat. And a fireball isn’t exactly the right way to light a fire to stay warm. I’m f*cked when it comes to conjuration.”

“Well my little evoker, a fireball’ll keep you warm the rest of your life.”

“But I don’t exactly intend on using it on you now am I?” Khezen replied with a laugh, not noticing the presence of more and more holes across the starfield draped above them.

“I figure that you won’t.” Dakros said, smiling. “Not so long as we’re still apprentices to Myras and I’m still useful to you I suppose.”

“Then come here and kiss me.” She replied with a sly chuckle. “I’ve got a trio of those memorized, so I think I might need some more proof of your use. Plus you’ll keep me warm if you sit close. I…”

Her voice stuttered.

The stars were virtually gone, the vault of night nearly a solid sheet of darkness, and the darkness was moving.

No time for a warning, Khezen began to cast.

“9 Hells woman!” Dakros shouted as he watched the smile vanish from his lover’s face and she began to whisper the phrasing of a fireball.

The fiery bead streaked past him though, never aimed at him but behind him, detonating with a blossom of crisp and potent flame. The darkness shrieked and Dakros turned to look, eyes wide, just before a trio of black and immaterial hands sunk into his chest.

***​

Phaedra yawned and poked at the fire, sending sparks leaping up into the darkness. The half-‘loth was bored, and seemed to want nothing more than to simply have something to do.

They had talked for a while, but eventually Inva had wandered away to spend some time alone out beyond the edge of the campfire.

Alone, the tiefling sighed and glanced up into the night sky. She had to admit, the quiet still of the place was comforting when combined with the darkness cloaking the place. Some people, like Victor, might have found it desolate and threatening, but Inva found it comforting, though her own faith might have had more than its own share of influence to that end.

The last time that she’d been on Toril, and it had been some time, she’d been on the other side of Faerun, far to the southwest of where they currently were. Calimshan was hot and dry, but the deeper reaches of its capital, down away from the sun and into the literal and metaphorical shadows, it was much cooler and more to her liking. But during her time on the streets of that place, she’d had a chance to see the stars twinkling high above.

Say what you would about the city, the points of light in the sky had a grace all their own, even given the naming convention of many of them as ‘Tears of Selune’. Those stars then had dusted the sky in much different patterns than they did currently in the night above the Great Dale, but they still held the same beauty.

Laying on her back, exposed to the chill and the darkness, vaguely listening to the pop and sizzle of the old wood in the campfire, Inva wasn’t expecting what happened next. Gazing up, the stars were suddenly obscured as if something had drifted over the veil of night, a godling passing its hands over the stars, blocking them from the view of the mortals below.

“What the hell?” The tiefling said as she sat up, still keeping her eyes focused on the stars.

More of the stars were obscured as something, multiple things even, cloaked them from view. The figures were moving, drifting to the west and descending down towards them.

“Sh*t!” Inva hissed. “Phaedra, turn around and wake everyone up!”

What happened next was a blur of shouts, muffled crashes inside tents, curses and hurled spells as the night itself seemed to come alive. Shadows, multiple dozens of them, swept down from the sky with a hunger born not of the natural world, sweeping immaterial claws and seeking to feed on life and strength itself, bleeding those elements away at a touch.

They came from the sky, silent as the darkness itself, and they reached up from the ground itself, a second flock of them having apparently walked through the frozen earth itself to catch their victims unaware. Voices cried out as the latter shades grasped at their legs, sucking at their stamina. Spells cut the air, prayers were whispered and powers were invoked, illuminating the night and striking down the shadows where they could, though half the time they simply passed through them without any effect whatsoever.

In the end, virtually as quick as it had begun, Victor ended it with a shout and a blaze of light, snuffing the creatures’ unlife with an invocation to his deity. But the damage was already done. Their camp was in disarray, they were depleted of spells and sleep, and the shadows’ hunger had not gone unsatiated. Victor would spend more of his prayers healing his companions when they were finally certain that the immediate danger had passed.

All the while, the summit of the central mount itself was crowned by an aura of flickering, flashing lights and distant screams, shouts, and several great detonations were heard. The Thayans had been targeted as well, and despite their master’s claims, they had never been accompanied by a cleric.

And through it all, something watched and reveled in the pain and chaos of it all.

Severesthifek was smiling.

***​

As dawn broke and the morning’s light washed over the Great Barrow, Victor exhaled and turned to face his group from where he’d been on his knees, prostrating himself towards the rising ball of fire on the eastern horizon. He’d been brief about it, forgoing all but the most crucial devotions, stripping his morning period of prayer of most purely ceremonial elements and only filling his mind with what might be immediately needed.

What was needed of course lay to the east as well. A slim trail of smoke rising from the far side of the barrow complex, curling up against the swelling sun, was more than enough morbid reminder that they had not been the only victims of attack by the restless dead the night before.

“We should get going.” Victor said, brushing his knees and furling some of his vestments within the prayer rug he’d been kneeling on.

“They’ve got a necromancer or two with them.” Marcus said. “They might be better off than we were.”

“Did you hear the same screaming that I did earlier?” Inva asked. “We’ll see how they are.”

“And hopefully they don’t mind our concern this time around.” Velkyn said with a sigh.

On the other side of the barrow complex, Odesseron’s camp was like a potters’ field whose gravediggers had already passed away. Half a dozen bodies lay strewn across the ground, skin blue and taught across their bones like something had snatched them up and sucked the life out of them. By the looks of the dead, all of them dressed in the same style of armor, the same as the man who had died atop one of the mounds a day earlier, they were, or had been, the red wizard’s bodyguards.

Every single one of them was now dead.

Several tents lay half broken, their contents scattered in a swathe where the tent’s occupants had stumbled out to die in the night.

“So much for not needing our help…” Velkyn whispered as he continued to survey the scene.

The undead of course were still there, all of them simply standing where they had last been ordered. A few of them were still digging trenches while others stood still and awaited new orders from the Thayan or his apprentices. But by all appearances, none of the Red Wizards had any current inclinations to bother with their servants.

Myras stood in the outlined doorway of an invisible shelter or extradimensional pocket, disgust and rage plastered across his face. The man’s apprentices, all five of them, stood in a semicircle facing him, facing his tongue-lashing and his wrath.

The apprentices looked haggard, two of them appeared to have gotten little or no sleep. Of that pair, one of them was shaking, trembling from the cold and only barely keeping his feet while the other did her best to support and comfort him. They seemed more than fellow students of a common master.

Odesseron groaned and turned to face the approaching group.

“The night has not been kind to anyone.” He said, gesturing with a level of unhappy flippancy to the destruction of his camp.

“So it would seem.” Victor said. “We were attacked overnight and we heard the sounds of a fight from your side of the mound. The undead that attacked us, we figured they did the same to you as well.”

“I know that we were going to meet this morning anyways.” Velkyn said. “But we came earlier to see if we could help.”

“I find myself lacking all of my guards.” Odesseron said, grimly motioning to the bodies of his former protectors. “But more undead will have to do I suppose.”

“Didn’t you have a cleric of Kossuth?” Velkyn asked.

The Thayan narrowed his eyes, scowled and ignored the question entirely. There had never been a cleric with his group, but it seemed to gall him to have to ask for help. Requiring help implied weakness or some fault on his part for not being prepared, and given the cutthroat nature of the hierarchy of Red Wizards in his native Thay, Odesseron wasn’t going to easily accept aid.

“I could attempt to raise your men.” Victor said. “But honestly, given how they died, it’s probably not within my ability to do.”

Odesseron shrugged.

“Not to be then…” The way his men died made it impossible to easily return them to life, but honestly the Thayan seemed more relieved that it left him in a position to not have to turn down outside help.

Victor meanwhile turned to look at the apprentices, especially the one who was trembling and shuddering.

“Your apprentice.” He said. “I can help him though. If he’s been touched by the shadows that attacked us both, I can restore most or all of what they leached from his body.”

Myras shook his head.

“Leave him.” Myras said, shaking his head. “He was on watch when the shadows attacked.”

Still shivering, Dakros twitched at his master’s withholding of healing and the insinuation of fault on his part.

“He’ll learn a lesson.” Odesseron flatly stated.

Velkyn blinked in surprise at the refusal. The Thayan’s attitude towards his apprentices was a callous one, treating them little better than orphans he had to put up with when he wasn’t using them to his direct benefit. It was that lack of concern for their well being that struck Velkyn as being overly cold. Odesseron didn’t seem to have the slightest respect for them, and while Velk’s own teachers might have been that harsh, or even more so at times, they would have done so out of motivation to better the student, not out of a complete lack of respect or concern.

“But the dead are dead, except the ones in my control, and the living are still alive.” The Thayan continued. “But given what happened to us both over the night, I think the dynamic between our groups needs to change a bit for our mutual good. Walk with me, let’s discuss anything we both might have found, and then what to do about it.”

And that was that. The Red Wizard turned from his apprentices, leaving their well being as an afterthought, as he walked closer to the other group to confer with them in greater detail. Behind his back, his circle of apprentices felt virtually forgotten, and only barely better off than the corpses littering the ground. Next to her lover who would be weeks in recovering to his fullest, if he survived that long, Khezen seethed with abject rage at their master’s obstinacy. But such was their lot in life, and it was unlikely to improve in the short term.

***​

Shemeska

Adventurer
The excavated hillside stood out against the grassy surface of the other mounds, especially as the hunks of uprooted sod and piles of brown earth and stones were in stark contrast to the pale, winter-bleached brown patina of the Great Dale, and the inch of snow that covered the unmolested ground. Some twenty feet down into the hard-packed, frozen soil of the barrow though, the earthen wound of spilled grave dirt opened to reveal the underlying archway and sealed entry into the stone mastaba obscured below.

The original exploratory trench leading from the surface of the barrow down to the sealed doorway had been widened and expanded over the past hour, owing to the tireless labor of the Thayan’s undead servants. The animated corpses trudged back and forth wordlessly, digging up the soil, loading it into baskets, and hauling them out to dispose of their contents.

“You have to admit.” Odesseron said, looking down at the now exposed surface of the door. “They constructed the tomb of their god and his priests well. The runes and pictures painted into the plaster over the stone are still legible.”

Velkyn raised an eyebrow and looked at the necromancer. “Doesn’t that worry you though? If it’s that pristine, they’re likely to still have any original defenses against tomb robbers intact. Glyphs? Symbols? That sort of joy to our line of work.”

Odesseron shrugged. “Well there obviously aren’t any on the main door into the tomb.”

“You already checked?”

“No need.” He replied curtly. “The zombies, or the one apprentice I sent in afterwards to watch over them, would have already triggered any such gifts to heretics and infidels such as ourselves.”

Velkyn held his tongue. The red wizard displayed a callous disregard to his apprentices, and as he continued to provide examples of that in practice, it was grating more and more on the half-drow. While he was more or less a necromancer himself, though not to the obscene levels of specialization, and exclusion of other schools of magic, that the Thayan was, he came from a distinctly different background and a distinctly less hostile master/apprentice relationship.

“Once we open the tomb it seems like a good idea at least to probe it with the undead.” Velkyn said. “We can send them ahead of us to avoid risking any of ourselves.”

If the Thayan noticed the other wizard’s subtle head motion towards the apprentices, he gave no acknowledgement of it. But their conversation was largely over anyways, as soon the zombies had fully excavated a sufficiently wide entrance down to the tomb’s sealed entry. A moment later, as soon as the undead laborers had moved out of the way, Velkyn, Victor and Inva approached the door alongside Odesseron.

The doorway itself was flush with the archway of stone that bordered it, sealed over with a thick layer of smooth plaster. In places the stone or plaster seal was chipped or eroded by the freeze-thaw cycle of the millennia, but such weathering was the exception rather than the rule. By and large, the stone was crisp as the day it had been cut and transported to the site, and the elaborate paintings and words on the plaster seal were still vivid and legible, if faded in places.

Legible of course if one spoke whatever ancient dialect of Untheric script sprawled across it as part artform and part graveplate.

“Speak Untheric?” Velkyn asked the red wizard.

“Not a drop of it.” He replied. “It’s a dying language even in Unther, the written script at least, and there was never any reason for me to bother learning it. And this is so ancient I doubt a scribe in what’s left of that nation would be able to garner more than the general idea of any given piece.”

As the two wizards proceeded to mildly bicker over the meaning of the script, and the utility of magic in deciphering it, Inva stepped forward and glanced over the text. It was bizarre compared to the Thorass alphabet, or even the letters of Espruar, and it was distinctly different from any of the planar alphabets. Still though, Inva had seen it before, and she was familiar enough with the modern variant of the script to work out its general themes within the context of the accompanying artwork.

“Well don’t you think it might be important for us to have some clue as to who might actually be buried here?” Velkyn said.

“We’re going to be breaking the door down shortly one way or the other.” Odesseron said with a shrug.

“Without waiting to study the door and use whatever means we might have to decipher it?” The half-drow asked. “We might not speak it, but there are ways around that if you’re willing to stand the cold out here a bit longer. The barrows aren’t going anywhere.”

“It doesn’t matter as much to me to read it and cherry pick among the mounds.” Odesseron retorted. “You may be after one thing in specific, but I’m here to gather whatever of worth I can manage to isolate. We’ve already uncovered one tomb entrance, so I’ve little reason to leave it sealed and go dig up the door to another.”

Running her fingers over the chisel marks of the cuneiform script cut into the plaster, Inva muttered something under her breath in Abyssal as her tail tip lashed back and forth in subtle irritation. But as long as they were bickering, they weren’t putting hammers to the door and she had a chance to try to piece together some meaning from it.

Ten minutes later, the pair of wizards were still chattering, and shortly thereafter, they noticed that Inva was talking.

“Blah blah blah… don’t violate this tomb… blah blah blah… praise Nergal…” Inva began, tracing her index finger across the main blocks of script.

“You can translate Untheric?” Odesseron asked skeptically.

“Sort of…” Inva said with a shrug, still paying more attention to the cuneiform than to who was asking her questions. “Just enough to get an rough idea of what it’s talking about.”

“Where on Toril were you from again?” Velkyn quipped

Inva just smiled and didn’t answer the question.

“So what does it say?” Odesseron asked.

“I’ll get to that if you’ll let me.” She said, slowly motioning with her tail like a third hand for him to be patient. “And don’t rip the door down till I’m done, if you don’t too terribly mind.”

The red wizard held up his own hands in polite contrition.

“It’s someone important, or at least somewhat so.” Inva went on to explain. “This is hazy about if they were considered royalty or not, but whoever they were, they held a position of honor in the eyes of Nergal.”

“So possibly priesthood? Possibly a relative of the royal family?” Velkyn said.

“Seems reasonable.” Odesseron admitted.

“And there’s some sort of warning here as well…” Inva added.

“There are no overt traps upon the door itself.” Odesseron said. “I’ve already looked for anything that might be triggered magically, to say nothing of having had no such ill effects of touching the door, or being in close proximity to it.”

Upon overhearing his comments, Odesseron’s apprentices collectively shuddered. If their master had his way, they were going to be among the first people into the tomb, probing it for wards at the very least, and possibly having to subdue any tomb guardians. The senior red wizard was using the barrow mounds as much to sate his own greed as he was using it as a brutal trial by fire for their education.

“What sort of warning?” Velkyn asked.

“I’m getting to that.” Inva replied. “But I think we’re out of luck…”

“Oh?” The half-drow questioned.

“It’s saying something about performing specific rituals and saying specific prayers.” Inva explained.

“Damn it.” Odesseron muttered. “It’s not a door that was ever meant to be opened.”

“Yeah.” Inva said. “There’s something worked into the magic of the mounds that probably would have allowed for priests to enter without disturbing any wardings or opening the doors after they had been sealed. Something about passage as ‘unto the breath of Nergal’, but it’s all in metaphor, and I’m not familiar with the religion, just some of the language. So the easy way in isn’t an option.”

“Exactly.” Odesseron said. “Unless we’re willing to leave, study Untheric religion for a decade, and potentially freeze out here in the snow while we unravel just what each thread of magic drifting through the individual mounds does in a larger context, we’re not going to be getting in the easy way.”

“Well,” Velkyn said. “There’s still the direct way, but it’s unlikely to be easy if it activates the tomb’s guardians. I’d have hoped to prevent that.”

“Which there will be.” Inva said. “There’s a line here about someone resting under the watchful eyes of the honored dead and those bound into service to Nergal. Something like that.”

“That ever so lovely succubus is in there somewhere…” Phaedra remarked. “Sodding Tanar’ri.”

“Undead won’t be a problem.” Victor said with a smile, briefly lifting his holy symbol to his lips and kissing it. “Between myself and that priest of Kossuth you know…”

The thayan didn’t reply. His bluff was in the past, and it scarcely mattered now. He could accept their barbs for the moment because he needed them. His apprentices were talented, but eventually they and he would run out of spells if they attempted to plunder the barrows by themselves.

“In any event, once we’re inside we should expect more of the same of what we’ve seen over the last few nights.” Victor said. “On top of that, bound demons seem something specific to some of the mounds, including this one. I’d prefer to simply dispose of guardian undead myself.”

Victor turned to look at Odesseron, then Velkyn, and finally the thayan’s apprentices.

“But if you must show off, or feel you can use them.” The cleric added. “Taking control of any undead inside is an option. Not –my- option mind you, but knock yourself out I suppose.”

Odesseron nodded and gave the door one last look, more to judge its strength, and where to direct his servants to rip it apart, batter it down, or push it inwards more so than for any interest in the writing upon its face.

“Hold on, before you go taking down the door.” Velkyn said. “I think we should make certain just what we’ll be doing inside here.”

“Percentages, yes…” Odesseron nodded contritely. “It is on your side of the original dividing line.”

“We’re only interested in one particular object however.” Velkyn stated. “So in the interest of further cooperation, we’re willing to increase your percentage if you work with us towards finding out where this object is and how to get into the mound that it’s in.”

“We discussed this earlier today.” Inva said, giving a very quick glance over to Marcus.

For his part, Victor’s brother didn’t say a word. He’d bickered somewhat over the percentages, especially with Inva and Phaedra, thinking that they were giving away too much to the red wizard in exchange for his aid. And with the tiefling and the… whatever she was… looking in his direction, he wasn’t going to argue in public, especially in front of the Thayan.

“Oh?” Odesseron questioned.

“We’ll give you a full half share even though this tomb is on our side of the line.” Velkyn said. “We think that’s more than fair, and the increased cooperation reduces the risk to both of us.”

“And in the end, we’ll both be walking away better for this.” Inva said. “We’re not from anywhere near Thay, so frankly we don’t care if you set yourself up as Tharchon or Zulkir with whatever you get out of this little treasure hunt. We’re not involved in the least.”

“We’re not competitors.” Velkyn said. “So keep that in mind today, and afterwards as well. We can both benefit from this.”

Odesseron smiled and nodded. “Understood.”

Velkyn rubbed his hands together. “That said, go ahead and take down the doors.”

The thayan turned and belted out an order to several of his apprentices, then stepped back to the very edge of where he could still get a clean look. He was taking no chances with his personal safety based on what they knew about the mounds, and what they had already seen over the previous few nights. The ancient untherites had no intention of allowing their dead to be disturbed.

Taking the same precautions, the others likewise stepped back and prepared themselves for whatever might occur when the tomb was opened.

“Break the seal.” Odesseron ordered. “Open the doors and let’s see what we shall see.”

***​

The hiss of stirring air, the sudden release of thousands of years of positive pressure echoed through the length of the tomb, all but a moment separated from the explosion and shudder of the seal being ripped from its moorings. Light, for a few scant feet into the depths, touched upon stone that had known nothing but the dark, suffocating grasp of burial for so many long years, like the kiss of Nergal himself. Air compressed and the shock wave of the barrow’s violation shuddered back like a crack of thunder, rattling through the invisible threads of magic girding the passages, the empty sockets of warriors sacrificed to forever remain at their posts, and then to within a few steps of the sarcophagi of the honored dead themselves.

Thirty feet distant from the undisturbed burial chamber of Damqi-ilishu, architect and high craftsman to the family of Nergal’s beloved, a pair of eyes twitched beneath their lids, and lips parted and cast away their chrysalis of dust. In the darkness, within the iron hard boundary of the painted circle, within the depression that was her bowl of scripture and nails, a maze of words, invocations and pain, her open prison, Ingella of Torremor opened her eyes and licked at the air.

“The seal is broken…” She whispered softly, tasting the influx of scent and emotion carried by the intruding breeze.

The tomb robbers had paused in that moment after ripping open the doors, stepping to the threshold and peering in, but not yet crossing the boundary. She could taste the concern and caution of mortals lifting their lamps and staring into her sanctum, her hated-honored protectorate. She could taste the overwhelming greed of another like wine to her lips, the fear of others like bloody flesh to savor, and then the resentment and fury of another like a ripe bit of fruit at the end of a meal.

One of them stepped across the boundary.

“They have crossed the line…”

One of the unliving.

“Instruct me Severesthifek. What do you wish me to do?”

Flame and fury sparked and blossomed in her mind as the Balor gave its answer: Find freedom. Find release. Find blood. And then find me.

I will obey. I will enjoy…

Ingella smiled with purpose and preamble in the moment before the first of the wards was triggered.

***​

The first break in the seal came from the hit of a heavy, blunt sledge carried by one of Odesseron’s zombie ogres. There was a sharp crack and the subsequent crumble of stone falling inwards, and then the immediate release of pressurized air from within. It was cold and stale as it washed out over them, blowing their hair, raising goose bumps across their flesh, and serving as a gentle beckon towards them into the barrow’s interior.

Several more blows and the door crumbled completely, letting daylight flood into the first ten feet of a downward sloping passage into the interior of the barrow. Tiny icicles of nitre hung from the ceiling were the barest bits of rainwater had leached through the stone over the years, but otherwise the stone was bare and unadorned. No decoration, no guardians, no suggestion of danger.

That however, was moments before the first of the undead stepped into the passage and was crushed by the sudden and lethal descent of a several ton pillar of stone from the ceiling. The passage was not completely blocked, but the ogre and one of the hobgoblins had been reduced to inanimate pulp splattered liberally across the threshold.

“No –apparent- traps.” Velkyn said with a sigh. “Joy…”

“Well…” Phaedra said grimly. “Nice to know that we’re welcome.”

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I Have The Pre-Crash Thread

This is one of my first posts here, I'm more a lurker than anything else. But I've got the entirety of both of Shemeska's story hours saved on my hard-drive. If you have any problems getting back up to date on what you've posted just e-mail me and I can send you my copies of the thread. They were last updated when the story hours were.

Zarnam

First Post
Whhhoooo !! Thank the Baerns for reestablishing the ENWorld site to it's rightful place !!

And thanks to you Shemmy for this great update to the "slower going" storyhour :p

I can feel your players are to stand against something bigger in the near future, right ?? :mad:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Sheltem said:
Any chance of an update soon?

One of them will be updated within the next 24 hours. Based on what I have written at this point, whichever isn't updated today or tommorow will be updated next week.

resistor

First Post
Shemeska said:
One of them will be updated within the next 24 hours. Based on what I have written at this point, whichever isn't updated today or tommorow will be updated next week.

So... when do we get this update? ;-)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads