• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield Bashing?

Kashell

First Post
I was wondering how this works...What is the damage for each type of shield? Spiked shields?(Purposly created for shield bashing) Double shield bashing? Two handed shield bashing?

Where could I find these rules?

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Normal heavy shields do 1D4, normal light shields do 1D3.
You can not bash with a tower shield or a buckler.

You can put spikes on a shield (listed under armor in the PHB) which improves the damage die by one. So a heavy shield with spikes does 1D6, and a light shield with spikes does 1D4.

Now, there is also the "bashing" enhancment in the DMG. That also imporves the shield's damage by one.

Now, you can enchant shields and spikes all you want, but they are seperate. For example, you can have a +2 heavy shield with +3 spikes on it. The +2 effects AC the +3 effects attacks and damage.

As a result, I don't allow "bashing shields with spikes" to do 1D8 / 1D6. In other words, I don't let the two things stack. I think the enchantments on the shield do not effect the damage if you are attacking with the spikes.

Others allow it. Ask your DM.

Anyway, it's all in the PHB (though the 'Bashing' enchantment is in the DMG).

Have fun!

-Tatsu

Kabol

First Post
Bashing Enhancment actualy increases then saze catigory by 2.

Progression is thus:

Light Shield : 1d3 ( normal ) -> 1d4 ( Spiked ) -> 1d8 ( Bashing ) < 1d6, No spikes - Just Bashing >
Heavy Shield : 1d4 ( normal ) -> 1d6 ( Spiked ) -> 2d6 ( Bashing ) < 1d8, No Spikes - Just Bashing >

~ The dmg dice progression by DMG is:
1d3 - 1d4 - 1d6 - 1d8 - 2d6 - 3d6

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Tatsukun said:
Now, you can enchant shields and spikes all you want, but they are seperate. For example, you can have a +2 heavy shield with +3 spikes on it.

No, no, no, no, no!

You can have a +2 heavy shield that is also a +3 magic weapon.

You can have a +2 heavy spiked shield that is also a +3 magic weapon.

In both cases, it is the shield or the spiekd shield that receives the enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls. You don't 'enchant the spikes'. You add the spikes to the shield, making it a spiked shield, and then you craft the spiked shield as a magic weapon. Or you don't add spikes at all, and craft the shield as a magic weapon.

Once the spikes are added to the shield, they are no longer a separate entity. They simply make the shield' into a 'spiked shield'.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kashell said:
Double shield bashing? Two handed shield bashing?

Note that a shield bash is treated as an off-hand weapon.

Whether this allows you to attack with two shields, or attack with a shield as a two-handed weapon, is debated...

-Hyp.

Remove ads