• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shift up walls

KaasManiak

First Post
Hello,

i've just created a monk which has a climb speed.

Is is possible to shift up walls with climb movement?

Greetings,

KaasManiak

DracoSuave

First Post
That is an EXCELLENT question.

Climbing is not a specific action, but it is part of other move actions. Normally it requires a climb check, but as the monk has a climb speed, it does not require a check, does not grant combat advantage, and ignores difficult terrain.

More importantly, anyone can climb as part of a shift 1, provided their speed is 2 or greater.

the Jester

Legend
More importantly, anyone can climb as part of a shift 1, provided their speed is 2 or greater.

I don't think that's right; I seem to recall reading a specific passage that said that you can only shift in a manner for which you have a movement mode. However, IDHMBIFOM and I could be wrong.

Also, since you climb at half speed, wouldn't you need a "shift 2 squares" ability to shift 1 up (assuming I'm misremembering the passage in question)?

Klaus

First Post
It's legal.

Special Movement Modes: You can’t shift when using a form of movement that requires a skill check. For example, if you’re climbing or swimming, you can’t shift if you would need to make an Athletics check to use that kind of movement. You might find it useful to first shift away from an adjacent enemy, then walk or run.

You can only shift while climbing or swimming if you're exempt from making Athletics checks, i.e. have a climb speed or swim speed.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
You were absolutely correct up to this line.

However, you cannot shift in a movement mode that requires a skill check, with climbing being the example. Thankfully, a climb speed removes that requirement - again, part of the rules example.

Having a climb speed actually rocks!

KarinsDad

Adventurer

Not exactly.

Special Movement Modes: You can’t shift when using a form of movement that requires a skill check. For ex-ample, if you’re climbing or swimming, you can’t shift if you would need to make an Athletics check to use that kind of movement.

Only creatures that have a climb speed (however acquired) and do not need an Athletics check to climb can shift.

KaasManiak

First Post
Thanks for the respones, i'm glad it is sorted out.

Now i have another question.

Can i use the "sure climber" feat (full climb speed rather than half on a succesful athletics check). To walk my full speed on walls?

Xris Robin

First Post
If you have a climb speed, you aren't moving half your normal speed though, are you? You'd be moving your climb speed instead. So I wouldn't think the feat had any effect. Unless you have a climb speed of specifically half your normal speed.

Remove ads