• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shifter powers, annoying pre-req?

Tellerve

So I noticed this in the Monster Manual but it didn't sink in till I got the PHB2. I'm really not a fan of the fact that Shifters have to be bloodied to shift. Anyone else annoyed by this?

Tellerve

Kinneus

Explorer
Umm... because they're 'until the end of the encounter' Encounter powers? Without some sort of prerequisite, they might as well be static bonuses. Without that "You must be bloodied" requirement, what's stopping a player from using it on their first turn, every battle, and enjoying basically a permanent +2 bonus to damage rolls or speed?

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm really not a fan of the fact that Shifters have to be bloodied to shift.
You could probably remove that requirement if you also make the power into a "twice daily" one (akin to how Healing Word is "twice encounter"). That way you'd be able to shift whenever you like, but only in two encounters during the day.

(Assuming a four encounter workday, and that you spend 50% of your time fighting in bloodied shape, this actually gives identical results.

In practice, however, the increased flexibility as well as the fact you're more often unbloodied than bloodied, means this suggestion is likely a power-up of some potency)

yenya

First Post
Yes, it's a bit annoying. Although melee characters will probably use it often. It adds new aspect to healing in battle - imagine a shifter running away from cleric who is about to use his beacon of hope or something. (Or shifter cleric with a dilemma...) If you fight from distance, you won't probably shift much.

Grabuto138

First Post
Yes, it's a bit annoying. Although melee characters will probably use it often. It adds new aspect to healing in battle - imagine a shifter running away from cleric who is about to use his beacon of hope or something. (Or shifter cleric with a dilemma...) If you fight from distance, you won't probably shift much.

Not annoying at all. Aside from the balance issues addressed above it is kind of the flavor of the race, right? If you were to just give a static bonus or something it might work but wouldn't capture the "drop the tire iron" aspect of the shifter. You hurt them; they get angry. That is the flavor they are trying to create. So the "blloodied" aspect may be a mechanical limitation but is a roleplaying boon.

DracoSuave

First Post
It's not that annoying. Once you get bloodied, use the power, then you don't need to become bloodied any more. Besides, a smart enemy goes 'oh... bad idea to bloody the shifter, he gets moar power' and that can be in your favor. DGH (don't get hit) wins games.

CapnZapp

Legend
Besides, a smart enemy goes 'oh... bad idea to bloody the shifter, he gets moar power' and that can be in your favor. DGH (don't get hit) wins games.
Well, that isn't necessarily true if your buddies get hit instead.

Giving incentives for not attacking you is a good strategy for strikers and controllers, but not so much for defenders.

yenya

First Post
Perhaps the opponent doesn't know you are a shifter... he's in for a nasty surprise. I just say that if you don't do melee, you have less opportunities to use this power. But when you do, it's really handy.

DracoSuave

First Post
Shifters are sorta recognizable, what with the animal faces and all. It's just if the opponent knows what a shifter -is-, or if you have disguised yourself. But knowing what a shifter is and what they can do isn't a difficult check for one to make.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads