• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shifters and non-melded equipment

cappun

First Post
The Shifter PrC in MotW has the great ability to decide, upon shifting, which items will not meld with the new form. I think that this is one of the greatest abilities of this class, because you can retain use of many of those cool magic items you have gathers through the levels.

I was wondering how versitile this ability should be. In the description, it says "Nonmelded equipement alters its size to match that of her new form, but retains its functionality." Obviously, shifting to a basically huminoid form would allow all or most of the shifter's equipment to remain functional in the new form, especially armor and weapons. What about when the shifter changes to an animal or beast? Do you think that the shifter's armor, if changing into an animal for which armor could be crafted, would change to fit that shape?

Morose

First Post
I'd say humanoid forms only just to keep things simple. Those are the only forms that would really use armor anyway (well, I'd maybe make an exception for a horse with barding) and otherwise things just start getting goofy.

"What the heck is that?"
"Why, it's a dire weasel in plate mail of course."

Edit: This is just the self imposed restriction I use when playing my shifter in our current campaign.

Last edited:

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
The shifters ability really only applies to non-humanoid forms, because you can have all of your items in a humanoid form without the ability! The new form must be some kind of barding, or some other cultural related form... maybe piercing jewelry, torcs, something like that. I guess this ability makes the Shifter PrC almost as good as a Wizard with polymorph self of equal level.

Mahali

Explorer
It does say it alters size not shape. One might allow it to alter among the different humanoid forms but not chnge from plate mail to barding.

The Iron Mark

First Post
It says it alters shape, so if you turned into a Dire Rabbit, your Full Plate Mail would adjust to fit it. I don't see anything wrong with letting Shifters retain their equipment without Wilding Clasps.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads