• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shifters and wild shape

nak9788

First Post
Do you think that the Shifters' abilities are too powerful? The complete adventurer book has in it, the Master of all Forms class, which is an updated version of the shifter. Although the "MoaF" class gains a few things faster than the shifter, it is considerably less powerful. It does not have the ability to turn into: undead, beasts, magical beasts, and outsiders. Although, its rules do not cover gear when wild shaping so this brings up a question. The new 3.5 wild shape rules also do not allow the gaining of extraordinary qualities (like fast healing for example). Do you think there is a valid reason for the change?

I know that we can still use the old rules if the DM wants to (or allows it), I was just wondering why the change?

Q: Does wild shape allow you to keep your gear? Does the Master of all Forms gain this ability? It does explicility state it, but it can turn into a humanoid, and what would be the purpose if you could only turn into a naked orc (or elf, etc.)? According to the 3.5 wild shape rules, it is similar to polymorph. Polymorph is like Alter self which states that either your equipment melds with you if it can't be worn, or it stays with you. Of course, this spell only deals with humaniods, but would this apply to other forms? I mean an animal can wear armor as well as other items (like a necklace), but it wouldn't be able to use a sword.

Your thoughts please.

mikebr99

Explorer
Well... you are giving up ALL of your spellcasting advancment. BIG COST in my books... YMMV

And magic items change size to suit the owner (excluding weapons & armour).. so most of their stuff will be available to the shifter in their new form.

Mike

the Jester

Legend
Having dmed a high-level shifter, I can say that they may not be overpowered in the hands of a novice player, but even then they're pretty darn good.

GimbleRaulnor

First Post
The abilities of the MoMF really depends on what you, as DM, send at him... they can't change into something if they've never even ehared about it before. Currently there's a druid/MoMF in my campaign, and though he's powerfull, he's not overpowered compared to the other characters. he's just... very versatile.

Though, the fact MoMF's get the Ex abilities of the creatures they change into is the thing that easely unbalances the class. Regeneration, fast healing... hmmm :)

Dark Dragon

Explorer
I'm currently playing a shifter in an epic campaign. But the class was revised IMC. The "old" shifter PrC from Masters of the Wild was on the edge to be overpowered if the DM does not care about the creatures the shifter encounters. On a certain level, the shifter was invulnerable to magic if he can morph into a golem. Or he gained regeneration 9 and fire resistance upon taking the form of a wartroll....(if you can use the search function of the boards, look for the Shifter's Bible...)
Additionally, it is hard to imagine why a druid/shifter should assume the form of an undead creature or an aberration.

The revised version I'm using is based on the druid's wild shape (having the wild shape ability is one prerequesite for the revised shifter).
Changes (AFAIK at the moment): No undead, outsider, incorporeal, aberration, construct, gaseous forms. Fey forms added to list of possible forms. +1 to spell levels every 2 shifter levels (beginning with level 2). Improved Wild Shape I (level 4?): Changing form becomes a move-equivalent action. Improved Wild Shape II (level 8): Changing form becomes a free action, all extraordinary abilities of the new form are available.

Still, it is a powerful, very versatile PrC that can tough out or escape most dangerous situations. But the drawback (lower spellcasting power) puts the shifter a) in a fighter role (forms with high strength may override the shifter's lower BAB), especially if he can take a form with regeneration (like a Fell Troll). Against creatures with a good DR like demons or some undead, the shifter still needs a golfbag of weapons to dish out damage. Or b), the shifter becomes a good scout and/or air support. But that's nothing new, druids are also good at scouting.

Remove ads