• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shifting to Core

MrGrenadine

Explorer
Hi, everyone!

I'm shifting my 9th level halfling barbarian (stats S 18 (22 raging)/ D 12/ C 15 (19) / I 10/ W 10/ Ch 12) to Core from the Beta rules. The campaign is a great balance between RP and battle, and he was created to be the sole hammer to the rest of the company's anvil, when there's blood to let. In other words, he's the Death Dealer, but in a smaller package. (Not a particularly original concept, to be sure, but he's a blast to play!)

Anyway, under the Beta rules he was doing some impressive damage using Power Attack, Overhand Chop and Backswing with his greataxe. But now that Power Attack has been tempered, and OC and BS have been cut, I need a new strategy.

I'm thinking of going with the Vital Strike Feats and Cleave/ Great Cleave which would allow me one attack that would do up to 4x weapon damage, followed by the potential for multiple follow up attacks at normal damage.

Alternately, I could guarantee multiple attacks at normal damage by full attacking and using my iterative attacks.

I also think I should take Crit Focus and add Keen to the axe, with the possibility of adding one of the status effect Crit Focus feats later. This increases the possibility of cashing in on the greataxe's x3 crit damage, but reliable it ain't.

I must be missing something, though. Is that the best I can do? What do you all think?

Starbuck_II

First Post
Hi, everyone!

I'm shifting my 9th level halfling barbarian (stats S 18 (22 raging)/ D 12/ C 15 (19) / I 10/ W 10/ Ch 12) to Core from the Beta rules. The campaign is a great balance between RP and battle, and he was created to be the sole hammer to the rest of the company's anvil, when there's blood to let. In other words, he's the Death Dealer, but in a smaller package. (Not a particularly original concept, to be sure, but he's a blast to play!)

Anyway, under the Beta rules he was doing some impressive damage using Power Attack, Overhand Chop and Backswing with his greataxe. But now that Power Attack has been tempered, and OC and BS have been cut, I need a new strategy.

I'm thinking of going with the Vital Strike Feats and Cleave/ Great Cleave which would allow me one attack that would do up to 4x weapon damage, followed by the potential for multiple follow up attacks at normal damage.

Alternately, I could guarantee multiple attacks at normal damage by full attacking and using my iterative attacks.

I also think I should take Crit Focus and add Keen to the axe, with the possibility of adding one of the status effect Crit Focus feats later. This increases the possibility of cashing in on the greataxe's x3 crit damage, but reliable it ain't.

I must be missing something, though. Is that the best I can do? What do you all think?

Are you limited to just Pathfinder books?

Skeld

First Post
You can't use Cleave in the same round as Vital Strike. Cleave and VS both require a standard action and you only get one standard action in a round.

There were a couple threads related to this over at Paizo. The following threads might help clarify this (and they have inputs from Jason Bulmahn):

paizo.com - Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Archives / Vital Strike damage bonus

paizo.com - Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Charging with a Vital Strike

-Skeld

MrGrenadine

Explorer
Thanks! Thats a big help.

Not the answer I wanted, mind you, but there you go.

(p.s. Why would anyone take Cleave if you're already getting iterative attacks?)

Last edited:

Liquidsabre

Explorer
(p.s. Why would anyone take Cleave if you're already getting iterative attacks?)

For all those lovely times when iterative attacks (i.e. full attack) just aren't an option! Got a mobility fight on your hands where foes are moving around or flying about? Lets say you just finished a foe with your latest full attacks but have to move to continue the carnage? Move next to a group of foes and cleave! The multiple attacks continue without skipping a beat. Its a great option for any melee class to take.

Got only a standard action but multiple foes? = Cleave
Just one foe? = Vital Strike

These are the answers to the difficulty melee classes experience when dealing damage and unable to perform a full round of attacks.

Edit - Also keep in mind Cleave provides the possibility of multiple attacks all at your highest BAB. Iterative attacks can't do that.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads