Spoilers Shogun 2024

I thought they left the door open to a sequel, even though the book doesn’t have one. Blackthorne got back to London, even though Toranaga, who is always right, didn’t think he would. So what changed?

Stalker0

Legend
I thought they left the door open to a sequel, even though the book doesn’t have one. Blackthorne got back to London, even though Toranaga, who is always right, didn’t think he would. So what changed?
I think the fact taht he still held the cross is the answer...that old version of himself was a dream.

Now is it possible he went to the bottom of that lake and found the cross, sure its possible. But I think its more likely meant to show that in reality he had to start letting Mariko go, vs the fantasy where he still held on.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think the fact taht he still held the cross is the answer...that old version of himself was a dream.

Now is it possible he went to the bottom of that lake and found the cross, sure its possible. But I think its more likely meant to show that in reality he had to start letting Mariko go, vs the fantasy where he still held on.
Well, it could just be another rosary too. Its not that unique of an item. I think the "Grampa's sword has chunks missing" line indicates that John did at some point engage in battle. Toronaga appears to forbid Blackthorn from leaving Japan, but there is no reason to believe the political situation couldn't change where having additional European allies would be prudent.

If you examine the stories of William Adams you can see the template for Blackthrone. Adams eventually became a tradesmen between Asia and the East Indies. So, its possible an elder Blackthorn could be back in English territory at his passing and reunited with his family.

A rosary would be a dangerous thing to possess in England at that time. He would arrive back to find James I on the throne, and even more severe anti-catholic purges in the wake of the gunpowder plot (1605).

Kaodi

Hero
Creative Assembly must be looking real hard at advancing to making Shogun 3 right now. Incredible as it may sound more time has passed since the release of Shogun to than passed between the releases of Shogun 1 and Shogun 2. Amazing show, amazing performances.

CapnZapp

Legend
Greetings!

Anybody catch the premier last night on FX and Hulu? About twenty years ago I got the original series on netflix DVD by mail and it was...well it was made in the 80s. I dont recall it being culturally insensitive, just cheesy like a west meets east soap opera. However, this new series is a take produced and written with Japanese Americans so it should be interesting. I thought it was executed well, looks fantastic, and i'm now sold for the entire ride.

Anyone else?
Yes. Lots of elses! This was extremely brilliant.

Remove ads