D&D (2024) Should 1D&D introduce silver standard for prices?

Horwath

Legend
Right now we have classic, 1GP=10SP=100CP,

but prices of those metals are not in that range,

if we go to 1GP=100SP=10,000CP we would come pretty close to real prices for those metals.

also it would make CP and SP meaningful in campaigns, right now SP is maybe used at 1st level, and CP in next to unheard of.

also it would make transporting large amount of wealth more easier.

Fullplate costing 15GP is more manageable transaction than 1500GP, carrying around 30lb of gold is a hassle. 15 coins still can fin inside a pocket.
I can hardly imagine a blacksmith having chests full of gold after a busy day :D

then platinum can be made as some magic crafted metal that can hold magical essence for enchanting and have 1PP=100GP.
Platinum would only be used as magical currency or royal exchange.

common person would never see a platinum coin in a life probably, and only occasionally see a gold coin.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

if we go to 1GP=100SP=10,000CP we would come pretty close to real prices for those metals.

also it would make CP and SP meaningful in campaigns, right now SP is maybe used at 1st level, and CP in next to unheard of.

also it would make transporting large amount of wealth more easier.

Fullplate costing 15GP is more manageable transaction than 1500GP, carrying around 30lb of gold is a hassle. 15 coins still can fin inside a pocket.
I can hardly imagine a blacksmith having chests full of gold after a busy day :D

then platinum can be made as some magic crafted metal that can hold magical essence for enchanting and have 1PP=100GP.
Platinum would only be used as magical currency or royal exchange.

common person would never see a platinum coin in a life probably, and only occasionally see a gold coin.
It depends. Simply changing to silver or copper standard without fixing the economy & associated mechanics that apply pressure doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Prices for those metals aren’t in that range… in what world? The rarity of those metals may be completely different in a given fantasy land, especially one populated with races dedicated to mining.

Really, to me it would have no impact on the game if the economy were based on foos and quatloos.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Historicaly, is 10:1 actually pretty close to D&D's real world inspirational sources?

"The Roman Empire officially set the ratio at 12:1. The ratio reached 14.2:1 in Venice in 1305 and remained at this level up until 1330 when it fell to 10:1. In 1350 it fell to 9.4:1 in some places across Europe. It climbed back to 12:1 in the 1450s. The U.S. government fixed the ratio at 15:1 with the Coinage Act of 1792."

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Historicaly, is 10:1 actually pretty close to D&D's real world inspirational sources?

"The Roman Empire officially set the ratio at 12:1. The ratio reached 14.2:1 in Venice in 1305 and remained at this level up until 1330 when it fell to 10:1. In 1350 it fell to 9.4:1 in some places across Europe. It climbed back to 12:1 in the 1450s. The U.S. government fixed the ratio at 15:1 with the Coinage Act of 1792."
With Wotc putting out their own Japanese translation version I wouldn't be surprised if we see a copper standard with 1/5/10/50/100/500 denomination or similar
1669687302068.png

those are various metals & alloys

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

If the prices quoted here are vaguely right, it feels like folks probably wouldn't be carrying around enough to buy fancy full plate? (And also like the prices of things in the books make no sense...)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
With Wotc putting out their own Japanese translation version I wouldn't be surprised if we see a copper standard with 1/5/10/50/100/500 denomination or similar

Is wikipedia off that the modern Yen began being defined in terms of gold?

And Historical events and currencies in use: Contents - Currency Museum Bank of Japan seems to have gold near the top too with 1ryo of gold = 50 monme of silver = 4,000 mon of copper in the 1600s.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Is wikipedia off that the modern Yen began being defined in terms of gold?

Historical events and currencies in use: Contents - Currency Museum Bank of Japan has 1ryo of gold = 50 monme of silver = 4,000 mon of copper in the 1600s.
I think that wikipedia "defined in gold" is just like how the US dollar has similar wording rather than what the physical coins are made of. Coins are expensive to make & pretty much everyone uses coins with less value in the metal if melted down than the value of the coin itself. There have been some shenanigans involving metal purity & coin size through history (probably for anyone using coins far enough back) & a historian could give a lot more interesting stories I'm sure but your link touches on it in the 8th to 10th centuries.

Remove ads