D&D (2024) Should 1D&D introduce silver standard for prices?

Horwath

Legend
The advantage in basing currency on the number 240 is, it has 20 divisors total: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 24, 30, 40, 48, 60, 80, 120, and 240, more than any previous number.

Try dividing 10GP evenly among 3 party-members.
and how frequently will that problem arise?
just give someone extra GP, and next time the other one will get one extra GP, or the other two if you find 11GP to split 3-ways.

you could also get 239GP, how are you going to split that?

Now if, we were born in Sumeria and was raised with sexagesimal system, I would agree with you.
Even base 12 would be better than base 10, but since we all are "trained" in base 10 from birth, why complicate things.

reelo

Hero
Even base 12 would be better than base 10, but since we all are "trained" in base 10 from birth, why complicate things.

As I said, this is not for everyone, but if I played Hârn, Pendragon, or Mythras in the Middle Ages, I'd definetly use this.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The advantage in basing currency on the number 240 is, it has 20 divisors total: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 24, 30, 40, 48, 60, 80, 120, and 240, more than any previous number.

Try dividing 10GP evenly among 3 party-members.
  • "everyone gets 2gp & we put the other 4 in the party share"
  • "everyone gets 3 gp & we put the extra 1gp in the party share"
  • Alice & Bob get gets 3 gp & bob gets 4gp because $reason"
  • "Ilets put the 10gp with all the loot to divide up later when we get back to town or whatever [and presumably have more to divide up later]"
  • etc

Horwath

Legend
Well, for non-D&D games like Pendragon, Chivalry&Sorcery, or even Mytras (if set in medieval times) it's certainly a plus.
OK, maybe I don't get it, but how can it be a plus?
Unless you want 101% immersion in medieval England?

How does it help the game that new players have to learn, beside whole new set of rules and lore, learn whole new number system?
As @Clint_L said, is it about intrigue of math while buying things or haggling?

Remove ads