Should A Paladin's Holy Weapon Be Limited To Swords?

Wik

First Post
Swords ONLY. It was once printed, therefore it must always be the exclusive truth!

(Of course any weapon can be holy! I still kind of want some blessed golf clubs.)
-blarg

Did someone just quote DOGMA!? I'm especially surprised that it's you, the guy who so rarely watches movies. ;)

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
A Greyhawk Deity of Paladins, Heironeous, originally specialized in the Battleaxe. This was introduced and written by EGG in Dragon, then added to the WoG boxed set.

3e forced him to take up the longsword. But if you are looking for precedent of Holy Weapons not being swords, that's the key one.

coyote6

Adventurer
If you're playing 3e, then the holy weapon ability can be placed on any weapon -- swords, axes, bows -- heck, if your GM lets you have a magical M134 7.62mm minigun, you can make it holy, too, and do an extra 2d6 damage to evil targets at 4000 rounds per minute.

The holy sword paladin spell can only be cast on melee weapons, though. You'd have to get the GM to let you have a variant that worked on bows (if there isn't already one in one of the books).

The standard holy avenger magic item is specified as a longsword, but you could ask your GM for a variant.

Votan

Explorer
I would tend to think that the choice of weapon would be cultural. The association of swords (shaped like a cross, no less) in medieval European folklore make it the ideal choice for a Paladin based on these sources. Other cultural influences in a fantasy world could lead to other weapons.

I'd see a Paladin of Odin using a Holy Spear as a very reasonable example.

(un)reason

Legend
Anything but holy whips. :angel: :devil: That just invokes images that are rather out of place for most paladins. Sure you might want to use it for your own penitence, but in actual battle it's a bit too slow a method of fighting.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well, good ol' Arthur had a spear, didn't he? And a dagger, and shield for good measure. . . but yeah, I could see spears being just fine.

Plus, they were just an extremely widely used weapon throughout much of history across the world. No reason to exclude them, I would think.

Axes, hammers, maces. . . hell, why not any given thing. That would be my take on the matter.

Jhaelen

First Post
Actually, I just included a holy warhammer in my current adventure. Unfortunately, the paladin player didn't seem to be interested, not recognizing it for what it was...

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Anything but holy whips. :angel: :devil: That just invokes images that are rather out of place for most paladins. Sure you might want to use it for your own penitence, but in actual battle it's a bit too slow a method of fighting.

Castlevania disagrees with you ;)

I'm fine with paladins having whatever as their holy weapon. Just explain why and you're golden.

Remove ads