• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should Arcane Archers be for my elves or eladrin?

Chaoszero

First Post
First, a little summary of my elfin races, if you will; (I use the 4e rules of the races)

Elves - Based on a combination of pictish and apache culture. Elves are a druidic society, mostly using primal power classes and feeling the "breath" of the land to lend them their rage. They are guerrilla fighters, woodland ninjas so to speak.

Eladrin - Based on WOW's blood elves and roman society. Eladrin are a militaristic and expansionis race with a complexe social structure which is maintained rigerously. They came from the feywild hundreds of years ago and now live in a large forest on the Kingdom's land. They value cunning, magical knowledge and, above all, loyalty to the race.

Ok. I've been running my setting ever since 3rd ed and am surprised how many ideas 4e is bringing in that I was doing anyway (including the two different types of "elves"). IMC, the Arcane Archers were presented as an elven organization that works seperate from any governing body to dispense justice and fight orc, much like Faerun harpers. But now that the Eladrin are a more seperated civilization than elves (due to a few small 4e revisions) should the AAs be more appropriate for the eladrin?

I opened up the MM2 for the first time today and saw the Arcane Archer in the eladrin section and it occured to me that the AAs may be better flavored that way. Should I continue to have them be Elves or the more magically inclined Eladrin?

I'm sorry for the length of the OP.

malraux

First Post
Can't it be both? If the AA works outside the normal range of society, why would the normal societal rules apply? Heck, you could even have the history of the society date back to the original split between the two races.

Chaoszero

First Post
That might work, but the biggest problem with that (I kick myself for not mentioning this before) is the elves and eladrin have a strong contempt for each other. The elves value personal freedom while the eladrin value servitude to society.

Thanks for answering, though. I know I'm being difficult.

That might work, but the biggest problem with that (I kick myself for not mentioning this before) is the elves and eladrin have a strong contempt for each other. The elves value personal freedom while the eladrin value servitude to society.

Maybe it annoys them even more that both Elves and Eladrin can take on the path of Arcane Archer?

The MM2 suggests that Arcane Archer is Eladrin, so how about this take:
- Elves still make great archers, but they have been so weakened by their life in the normal world that they lost their connection to magic and can't combine magic and archery.
- Eladrin are great spellcasters, but they are so dependent on the fey magic that they can't even wield a bow without some magic trickery.

malraux

First Post

And that just means that an exclusive semi-secret group that works outside the law will be disliked by both groups. It doesn't invalidate the group. See the Rangers of Babylon 5 for a similar idea.

I vote Eladrin; they tend towards Arcane, while Elves tend towards Primal. In addition, Arcane works well for your Romanesque Eladrin, because Arcane instruction can be standardized. Eladrin Arcane Archers could operate in uniformed squads or even regiments.

My logic is a bit circular, but hopefully I've made my point.

Protagonist

First Post
I vote Eladrin; they tend towards Arcane, while Elves tend towards Primal. In addition, Arcane works well for your Romanesque Eladrin, because Arcane instruction can be standardized. Eladrin Arcane Archers could operate in uniformed squads or even regiments.

My logic is a bit circular, but hopefully I've made my point.

Agreed. I would give the Arcane Archers to your Eladrin and create a (semi-)magical archer class based on 3.x's Zen Archery feat and Order of the Bow Initiate prc for your Elves. Something with a more divine/druidic spirit if you want to keep the "magical" element in or simply a guerilla/sniper hybrid if you don't.

lutecius

Explorer
I'd go with Eladrin. Arcane Archer sounds like, well, an arcane class and I don't see why a militaristic race with a dex bonus wouldn't have archers.

You can always refluff and alter the AA from monster manual (or the class, when it comes out) if you want a elven "Primal Archer" counterpart.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads